PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

First off, kudos on the presentation.

That said:

1 ~ Ryan Mallett ~ Fish ~ #72 + #145!!

I know you're not a huge fan of Mallett, but there's a better chance of Gisele leaving TFB for me than there is of that trade happening.

Think about what you're doing for a second—you're basically saying that the Patriots decided that, even though Hoyer is all but gone in 2013, BB thinks Mallett is worth so little that he'd be willing to settle for a 3 and a 5 from a team in his own division. Put another way, there are really only two possibilities:

• The Patriots think he's worth more than that, and won't trade him for that little.
  • The Patriots think that is what he's worth—and then they likely won't be able to trade him. (Think about the alarm bells that should set off.)

Last edited:
I know you're not a huge fan of Mallett, but there's a better chance of Gisele leaving TFB for me than there is of that trade happening.

Again, and with feeling, my friend: ;)

This is not me predicting what Mad Bill will do.

This is me saying what I ~ Mad Grid ~ would do.

Grid is quite possibly insane and I say that in the most positive terms possible.

Honestly OTG do you have a job or are you independently wealthy? I would get canned just for the amount of time I would have to spend reading your work nevermind conceiving it and putting it into words.

Things I love.

TE's or Flex Ends or Wingbacks or whatever they are. I would love Fleener at 31 as I am convinced that he is headed to Indy at 33 to pair with Luck.

The no safeties defense. The only flaw I see is that these guys damn well better be able to cover. I compare it to the old Nintendo Hockey circa late 80's where you had the small fast guys and the big slow guys and the later would just cream the former. Anyone who played enough came to the realization that you needed a good mix.

With Flex End ;) becoming the next big thing in this copycat league you might need some more size out there. Can you imagine what the Gronk would do to a secondary full of CB's? He could carry 4 of them 80 yards on his back. I guess I don't like the D so much as the boldness of conception and I could see it as useful depending on match-ups.

Things I don't like.

Guys like Cannon who probably have just as much upside as some of your proposed drafties with I believe considerably lower floors.

Minimum half of your shadow roster would have jobs within a week. Cannon, Fells, Carter, Gregory, Pryor... Bring 'em all to camp and let the best man win. I have a feeling quite a few would be guys on the roster already. This was after all a Super Bowl team.

As somebody else mentioned I think that some of your trades would bring you past the guys you want to draft. I don't think you need quite so many; a more surgical approach might be more efficient.

No love for special teams. Just as all the CB's on the field would make me nervous there is a reason why guys like Slater and White make NFL rosters.

But there is no question that you are a marauding beast to match any of your DL, Flankers, or Midfielders. Your Verticity of vocabulary is unmatched on this, or I suspect, any other message board.

Great Points, Brother Scrizz!! Let's see, here...

1 ~ Yes, I've given considerable thought to the downside of all my radical notions, including the size of my Secondary. I certainly understand your concern about a bunch of Smurfs trying to tackle the larger Flex Ends in this league.

2 ~ But that's simply not the case with my Secondary. Remember, if you will: I've made a point of targeting guys like Trumaine Johnson and Desmond Marrow, who are both HUGE ~ larger, in fact, than most Free Safeties in the league, and certainly larger than that shrimp, Gregory. And Chung stays in on Rush Downs. Bottom Line: My Secondary is actually LARGER, not smaller!! :eek:

3 ~ Your objection to my projection of cutting Marcus Cannon is obviously quite reasonable, and I'm sure the vast majority will agree with you on that. He's a terrific young talent, and I would hope ~ if he does indeed get cut ~ to recoup a Draft Pick for'm...It's a philosophical decision on my part.

4 ~ "Bring them all to Camp and let the best man win." is precisely how I do business. You remember, of course: That Final Roster is merely my wish.

5 ~ I'm sure much of my Shadow Roster would get jobs in days, or hours. I'll take that as a compliment!! Let me ask you: If you had the means of going into Camp with such ridiculous Depth of Talent that an half dozen ~ or even a dozen ~ guys you cut immediately got jobs...wouldn't you want to do that each and every year??

6 ~ The alternative is hoping and praying that the far thinner crew you have stays 100% healthy, and when in the history of FootBall ~ and especially of these Patriots, the last 10 years ~ has that ever happened?? Last year was an Epidemic. Had we had the Depth of Talent that I'm proposing, here, is there any question that we would've won the Super Bowl? Not in my mind. Much better to have too much than too little, don't you think? It's not like I'm cutting 1st Rounders!! :eek:

7 ~ Regarding "trading past" my targets, you'll remember: I stipulate that if that would appear to be the case, I'll just "back out" the San Fran 2013 1st Rounder out'f the equation, to pick up the slack...or seek other alternatives.

8 ~ This was off of Walter's Mock, and I didn't want to cherry pick to suit my purposes. Beyond Silatolu and McClellin ~ who'd both be covered by "backing out" the Miners 2013 Pick ~ I don't think there's any guys in the entire draft that I've "traded past", but you could be right: If you have a more accurate barometer of Market Value, I'm all ears and gratefull!! :D

9 ~ Yeah, I won't pretend I didn't cringe at the idea of letting either White or Slater go. I rationalize that by thinking that with all these young guys I'm bringing in, we're gonna be flying all over the place and destroying people!! :D But I love White, and would miss him badly. My thinking is that I want guys who bring substantial contributions in more than one aspect of the Game, if at all reasonable.

10 ~ I'm not independently wealthy ~ although I promise you: I AM working on it!! ~ but I manage to liberate the time I need for this Obsession by being a Slacker!! :D

Thank you for your gracious words, Brother Scrizz!! I hope my responses came out as engaging and defensiveness-free as I intended them to be, as I am a big fan of your Work, hereabouts, and I found great pleasure ~ and education!! ~ in reflecting on the constructive criticism you've just shared!! :cool:

Kiper has us taking Shea McLellin and Derek Wolfe in the first round of his latest mock. Follows it up with Josh Robinson (#48) and Amini Silatolu (#62) in the 2nd round.

Did you just say Derek Wolfe? In the 1st round?

Kiper has us taking Shea McLellin and Derek Wolfe in the first round of his latest mock. Follows it up with Josh Robinson (#48) and Amini Silatolu (#62) in the 2nd round.

3 of the 4 I do like. Although I am warming up to the idea of Wolfe becoming a Patriot, just not in the 1st.

Derek Wolfe in the first round? It will be another long season for the New England Patriots defense if Derek Wolfe was selected in the first round.

It's been a while since I've talked about the NFL Draft tool I've built for the community , I'm trying hard not to spam or even hijack the thread. Check it out you might find it useful!

fourthandshort.org

This was originally posted in the newbies area, and I've had some great feedback from pats fans.

It's been a while since I've talked about the NFL Draft tool I've built for the community , I'm trying hard not to spam or even hijack the thread. Check it out you might find it useful!

fourthandshort.org

This was originally posted in the newbies area, and I've had some great feedback from pats fans.

Let's see, this is your 3rd post here yet you don't want to spam? Not good form there.

27. Boise State DE/OLB Shea McClellin
31. Cincinnati DL Derek Wolfe
48. Central Florida CB Josh Robinson
62. Midwestern State G Amini Silatolu

ESPN Boston listed this as Kyper's latest mock. I'm not a fan of his but I don't completely hate him like some people do either. I just have to give him props for being original. I haven't seen anybody other than our resident Wolfe fan projecting McClellin and Wolfe that high in the draft. I really like both prospects and was hoping we could get McClellin at 48 and Wolfe at 93. It wouldn't shock me to see the Patriots pick somebobdy way higher than most had them going. It would shock me that Kyper got it right.

27. Boise State DE/OLB Shea McClellin
31. Cincinnati DL Derek Wolfe
48. Central Florida CB Josh Robinson
62. Midwestern State G Amini Silatolu

ESPN Boston listed this as Kyper's latest mock. I'm not a fan of his but I don't completely hate him like some people do either. I just have to give him props for being original. I haven't seen anybody other than our resident Wolfe fan projecting McClellin and Wolfe that high in the draft. I really like both prospects and was hoping we could get McClellin at 48 and Wolfe at 93. It wouldn't shock me to see the Patriots pick somebobdy way higher than most had them going. It would shock me that Kyper got it right.

Unless Kiper knows something the rest of us don't, Wolfe could still be avail. at the end of the 3rd round. McClellin, however, prob. won't be avail. at 48; Bill would be wise to take him at 31.

Unless Kiper knows something the rest of us don't, Wolfe could still be avail. at the end of the 3rd round. McClellin, however, prob. won't be avail. at 48; Bill would be wise to take him at 31.

Ya seeing McClellin at 27 was a lot less shocking than Wolfe at 31. I can definitely wrap my brain around McClellin in the first sooner than some of the other names getting thrown around.

fourthandshort.org

Let's see, this is your 3rd post here yet you don't want to spam? Not good form there.

Meh, he's being upfront, honest and civil; I would hardly call this spam like you see from far too many of the 'bots on other sites. That was his first and only post in the Draft Forum.

Here's the link to his site if anybody's interested.
I haven't tried it but it does look interesting.

NFL Combine / Draft Monitor

OTG- I dont have the knowledge to address your entire post, but I share your love for Kellen Moore and firmly believe we can afford to take a chance on some lunatics. The key to determining which lunatics are worth taking a risk on, assuming talent is similar, is passion for the game. Moss had it- he sometimes quit or acted like an ass bc he was a sore loser- and Fat Albert- who quit and acted like an ass bc thats just who he was- did not. I dont know anything about your lunatics, but I do believe the Patriot Way has room for a few whiskey drinkers among the milk drinkers. They need to be in the minority, but I'm convinced every great team needs them.

OTG- I dont have the knowledge to address your entire post, but I share your love for Kellen Moore and firmly believe we can afford to take a chance on some lunatics.

The key to determining which lunatics are worth taking a risk on, assuming talent is similar, is passion for the game. Moss had it- he sometimes quit or acted like an ass bc he was a sore loser- and Fat Albert- who quit and acted like an ass bc thats just who he was- did not.

I dont know anything about your lunatics, but I do believe the Patriot Way has room for a few whiskey drinkers among the milk drinkers. They need to be in the minority, but I'm convinced every great team needs them.

Oh, well said, indeed, Brother Conway!!
beer.gif

For those who are too young and good-looking to recognize the reference:

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers, and I'll take the whiskey drinkers, every time." — Max McGee, former wide receiver, Green Bay Packers

ZMaxMcGeesb01_display_image.gif

And Max had a few whiskeys the night before that particular SB v. KC, IIRC.

Assorted Bits of Random Blasphemy

1 ~ I'd completely forgotten about Pro FootBall Weekly's Draft Value Chart, but now that NutMe's busted that baby out, I'm gonna have to redo my Mock!! :eek: I just ran the new numbers through, and I'm about 500 Draft Dollars light...So much for snatching San Fran's 2013 1st Rounder!!
jester.gif

2 ~ Seriously!! Assessing Market Value is like herding cats, but ~ despite the fact that we are, indeed, in the THICK of MisInformation Season ~ that chart feels like an incredibly accurate assessment of REAL Market Value...with the very possible but singular exception of my original October Super Binkie, Shea McClellin, who was looking like Day 3 or UFA back then, but who I feel is pushing the 1st Round, right about now...and who Pro FootBall Weekly is calling a Mid 3rd!!
39.gif

3 ~ It's truly impressive, how effectively Mad Bill has racked up Depth of Talent throughout the entire roster, over the last month or so. God knows there's plenty of room for improvement in many aspects of our team, but there are ~ incredibly ~ no gaping holes, not even at Defensive End, thanks to the exquisite theft of Jon Fanene.

QB ~ At QuarterBack, we are ridiculously deep, of course, and I'd love to see us cash in on Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett's Trade Value, though of course we won't. Hoyer I like, but he cuts loose next year for nothing, and he isn't my idea of an Heir Apparent, so I'd be much happier cashing his services in for a 2nd or 3rd Rounder ~ and replacing him with the phenomenal Kellen Moore ~ rather'n lose'm for nothing but a 2014 Comp Pick, next Spring.

Mallett, I have absolutely no regard for, whatsoever. I considered our drafting of him to be an Atrocity when it happened, and I still do. Were I to take command of this ship, today, I would make dumping him a priority, and would consider anything we got for'm to be Gravy, at this point. MIND you: I'd be coy about it, and let the Fish come to me...Probably get a 3rd for'm, in any case.

OC ~ I'm appalled at our negligence of this vital position over the years, and I lay a great deal of our failure in The Grim Games of Late Winter over the last several years at the feet of this negligence. Ben Jones doesn't strike me as having Super Star potential, but I believe he commands the Core Strength, the Passion, the Processing Speed, and enough Athleticism to become a tremendous Center in our System, one we can count on in January and beyond.

OG ~ There are few positions that I hold in higher regard than O Guards: As far as I'm concerned, Vince Lombardi's magnificent Packer Dynasty ~ 5 World Championships in 7 years!! ~ owed more to Fuzzy Thurston and Jerry Kramer than to anyone else, and it wasn't even close.

Dominating O Guards can simply take a game over...And while blissfully ignorant Fantasy FootBall Fans squeal in oblivious glee for Shaun Alexander, LaDanian Tomlinson, and Priest Holmes, these boys are rolling through the gaping holes that Steve Hutchinson, Kris Deilman, and Brian Waters ~ Yes!! The very one!! ~ are ripping open for them.

Fuzzy Thurston and Jerry Kramer were the two most powerful forces in the forging of that phenomenal Packer Dynasty. The were the Heart and Soul of Coach Lombardi's legendary Packer Sweep, and it was the Sweep that allowed the Packers to take command of the Field of Battle for 7 long and glorious years.

Everything else ~ the entire Offense as well as a consistently well-rested Defense that almost always got to play with a lead ~ derived its success from the marauding dominance of The Packer Sweep...

Everything else.

And, again: Fuzzy Thurston and Jerry Kramer were the very Heart and Soul of the Packer Sweep.

And yet neither is the Hall of Fame!! :eek:

That blows my freaking mind.

07 ~ So, um...Yeah.

Suffice to say: In direct contrast to Conventional Wisdom and the Vast and Overwhelming Majority, I attribute immense influence on our Destiny to our O Guards.

I believe that any team ~ provided that they happen to be interested in competing for World Championships ~ owes it to itself not only to seek out and develop All Pro talent at both O Guards positions...but to seek out considerable Depth of Talent at both back up slots, as well.

When Steve Neal gets knocked out in the 1st Quarter of the Super Bowl, it's a little late to think about finding a backup who can take on and withstand the best Pass Rush in the league.

OT ~ I'm ecstatic about pilfering Robert Gallery from the Scrap Heap!! Forget O Guard: This guy was born to play O Tackle, and now that he's on a team that knows how to Coach, I'm praying that his O Guard days are long behind'm!! He was the perfect pick up, because Sebastian Vollmer is too important to this team, and his future too uncertain: All the better, in fact, if Gallery's presence takes the heat off of Vollmer, and allows him to heal and recoup his full power at a natural pace. That's Double Word Score, in my Book.

And Gallery is far more than a veteran back up: He was a phenomenal Prospect, coming out'f College, and I, for one, believe he could still find his way to Greatness, under the guidance of Dante The Great!! My only concern is that I want to see us tie this guy up for a few years.

I'd also love to see us steal Matt McCants, who's Stock has apparently sunk to Day 3 levels!! BOO Yah!! :rocker:

XE ~ Not much help for Rob Gronkowski in this barren Flex End Draft Class!! The brutal blocking and almost unstoppable receiving that Gronk brings to the table is mind boggling...And it would be naive to presume that there wouldn't be a significant drop off regardless of who might step in for'm...

The one guy who offers a glimmer of developmental hope in my mind is Matt Veldman, a raw but remarkably athletic Prospect that Brother MayoClinic scoured off the Pro Day Wire.

WB ~ I'm not too keen on the Wing Back Market, this year, either, with one exception: Evan Rodriguez.

Gentlemen, most of you simply have no idea how disruptive this freakish fusion of ferocious blocking and swift, smooth receiving prowess can be.

Screw slowing down and limiting the Offense with classic, lumpy Full Backs.

Rodriguez could single-handedly tear up the competitive landscape.

And, oh, by the way...

I believe that Aaron The Navigator is going to take the league by STORM, this year.

SE ~ We are badly in need of big, tall, strong, athletic Split Ends who can run the Route Tree, Rapidly Read + React ~ Processing Speed, Baby!! ~ and Block.

I don't know about the Blocking, but Marvin Jones runs a sweet Route Tree, Dale Moss is a Super Freak's Super Freak...and they both have the frame, at the very least, to take on Defenders, which is an hell of a lot better than we've been dealing with, around here, lately!!

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back