29P Detroit 7-3 .569
30P San Fran 9-1 .450
31P Houston 7-3 .425
32P Green Bay 10-0 .488

1st Rounders

2nd Rounders

3rd Rounder

4th Rounder

I tend to agree with you, and did indeed call for a 3rd and change in my Mock.

But I wouldn't say a 2nd's out'f the question, particularly if we clinch early and get a chance to feature him ~ and Mallett!! :D ~ in Week 17!!

But even then, I would agree with you.

Thats what i think... but if i were another team, i would not bother trading for a QB unless i thought he was the guy for a super bowl run. Notwithstanding job prospects, i would rather take my franchise QB high in the draft!

I suppose a 3rd in 2012 is roughly a 2nd in 2013... i would take that!

Perhaps we can roll that into a 1st in 2014 and combine that with the 1st we will get for Mallett!!

Regarding the potential Mallett/Hoyer trades, what teams are QB needy to the extent that they'll give us a relatively early pick for them?

I can DEFINITELY see these teams making an early move for a QB

Colts
Broncos
Seahawks
Redskins
Dolphins

I can MAYBE see these teams making a move for a mid-round QB

Chiefs
49ers
Bears
Jets
Bills

Luck, Barkley, and Griffin are all early 1st rounders going to teams in the DEFINITELY category, unless they have such pressing needs elsewhere that they go for someone else in the 1st round and give BB a 2012 2nd and 2013 1st for Mallett:D

Would any of the MAYBE teams give a 2nd and change for Hoyer? Rexy just game some reps to their backup QB in order to light a fire under Sanchise's behind, would they trade even a 3rd for a competant backup with starting potential, that also knew the Pats offense to a T?

Regarding the potential Mallett/Hoyer trades, what teams are QB needy to the extent that they'll give us a relatively early pick for them?

I can DEFINITELY see these teams making an early move for a QB

Colts
Broncos
Seahawks
Redskins
Dolphins

I can MAYBE see these teams making a move for a mid-round QB

Chiefs
49ers
Bears
Jets
Bills

Luck, Barkley, and Griffin are all early 1st rounders going to teams in the DEFINITELY category, unless they have such pressing needs elsewhere that they go for someone else in the 1st round and give BB a 2012 2nd and 2013 1st for Mallett:D

Would any of the MAYBE teams give a 2nd and change for Hoyer? Rexy just game some reps to their backup QB in order to light a fire under Sanchise's behind, would they trade even a 3rd for a competant backup with starting potential, that also knew the Pats offense to a T?

What about this Nick Foles guy out of Arizona, is he not declaring or has he just fallen out of the first round ?

At best, you'll get a 3rd for Hoyer. Maybe 4th.

I don't even see that. I can't imagine any GM telling his fan base that they're bring in Hoyer and building around him. Kevin Kolb experiment in Arizona has been a disaster. He had more playing time in Philly than Hoyer has here. Kolb was picked 36th overall in 07. And, started a couple of games when McNabb got hurt. Hoyer came in as an un-drafted free-agent in 09. Hasn't started a game. And, has attempted 42 passes in garbage time. Someone might want him as a backup. We might be able to swap picks in a round, or get a 5th for him but that's it. Let's be real here.

Drafttek has a two rounder out today. I think they've got the positions we need right. They think we're going back to 3-4. I'm not so sure. I think they severely under value the qb's. I have Luck-Barkley-RG3 going 1-2-3. And, think teams will trade up for them. Also have Landry Jones in the top 15. And, maybe someone trades up for Tanneyhill late in the first with a team that likes to trade down that has multiple picks. Hmmm...Their picks are;

NFL Draft Mock 2012 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

1a Alameda Ta'amu - DT/NG - Washington - Widebody. Always need those. Unless my eyes are shot. I don't see Devon Still in there. That's a big oversight on their part. I have him top 15 and would prefer him over Ta'amu.

1b Brandon Jenkins - olb/de - Florida St - I'd rather have Vinny Curry.

2a Peter Konz - C - Wisconsin - Can't argue with this pick here.

2b Markelle Martin - S - Ok St - Need a safety. One pick ahead of R. Lester though. I'd rather go with the Bama guy.

I don't even see that. I can't imagine any GM telling his fan base that they're bring in Hoyer and building around him. Kevin Kolb experiment in Arizona has been a disaster. He had more playing time in Philly than Hoyer has here. Kolb was picked 36th overall in 07. And, started a couple of games when McNabb got hurt. Hoyer came in as an un-drafted free-agent in 09. Hasn't started a game. And, has attempted 42 passes in garbage time. Someone might want him as a backup. We might be able to swap picks in a round, or get a 5th for him but that's it. Let's be real here.

1 - You don't tell everyone you're building around him, you tell them "Brian has looked very good when he's played, and he plays the single most important position in the game. We've seen very bad things happen to a team without depth at QB, hopefully now we have that"

2 - A team wouldn't get any flack for selecting a QB in the 2nd round in the draft, a QB fresh out of college with 0 NFL experience, so why is it then stupid to pay a 2nd round pick for a guy with a little NFL experience, who has looked pretty good during that time?

Last edited:
Drafttek has a two rounder out today.

I think they've got the positions we need right. They think we're going back to 3-4. I'm not so sure. I think they severely under value the qb's. I have Luck-Barkley-RG3 going 1-2-3. And, think teams will trade up for them. Also have Landry Jones in the top 15. And, maybe someone trades up for Tanneyhill late in the first with a team that likes to trade down that has multiple picks. Hmmm...Their picks are;

NFL Draft Mock 2012 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

1a Alameda Ta'amu - DT/NG - Washington - Widebody. Always need those. Unless my eyes are shot. I don't see Devon Still in there. That's a big oversight on their part. I have him top 15 and would prefer him over Ta'amu.

1b Brandon Jenkins - olb/de - Florida St - I'd rather have Vinny Curry.

2a Peter Konz - C - Wisconsin - Can't argue with this pick here.

2b Markelle Martin - S - Ok St - Need a safety. One pick ahead of R. Lester though. I'd rather go with the Bama guy.

Hah!! GREAT timing, Brother Penn Pat!! :rocker:

I just checked that Site out a mere HOUR ago, and they didn't have it up!! :eek:

These guys usually do an AWFUL job of assigning players to teams...

But they are EXCEPTIONAL at hitting on the true Market Value of players, I think...

1 - You don't tell everyone you're building around him, you tell them Brian has looked very good when he's played, and he plays the single most important position in the game. We've seen very bad things happen to a team without depth at QB, hopefully now we have that"

2 - A team wouldn't get any flack for selecting a QB in the 2nd round in the draft, a QB fresh out of college with 0 NFL experience, so why is it then stupid to pay a 2nd round pick for a guy with a little NFL experience, who has looked pretty good during that time?

It's a very interesting Argument...

Charlie WhiteHurst, on a pretty thin resume, got San Diego the equivalent ~ via a Trade Up from #60 to #40 and a Deferred 3rd ~ of a 3rd Rounder + a 4th Rounder.

Once again, Great Blue is HOT on the Job!! :rocker:

1 Indianapolis 0-10 .525
2 Carolina 2-8 .506
3 St. Louis 2-8 .575
4 Minnesota 2-8 .575
5 Washington 3-7 .456
6 Jacksonville 3-7 .475
7 Arizona 3-7 .481
8 Miami 3-7 .519
9 Philadelphia 4-6 .500
10 Cleveland 4-6 .513
11 Kansas City 4-6 .513
12 Seattle 4-6 .525
13.5 Tampa Bay 4-6 .538
13.5 San Diego 4-6 .538
15 Tennessee 5-5 .456
16 NY Jets 5-5 .488
17 Buffalo 5-5 .494
18 Denver 5-5 .531
19 Cleveland 6-4 .469
20 NY Giants 6-4 .500
21P Dallas 6-4 .469
22P Cincinnai 6-4 .494
23P Cincinnati 6-4 .519
24P NewEngland 7-3 .444
25P NewEngland7-3 .456

26P Baltimore 7-3 .475
27P Pittsburgh 7-3 .488
28P Chicago 7-3 .525
29P Detroit 7-3 .569
30P San Fran 9-1 .450
31P Houston 7-3 .425
32P Green Bay 10-0 .488

1st Rounders

2nd Rounders

3rd Rounder

4th Rounder

It's a very interesting Argument...

Charlie WhiteHurst, on a pretty thin resume, got San Diego the equivalent ~ via a Trade Up from #60 to #40 and a Deferred 3rd ~ of a 3rd Rounder + a 4th Rounder.

Whitehurst was a 3rd round pick 81st overall. Hoyer was an un-drafted free agent. Pedigree does matter when assigning trade value. More importantly, the trade was another awful one for the team acquiring the quarterback. Whitehurst is on the bench. Hoyer hasn't had the chance to show whether he can play in the NFL or not. His value is very low.

Whitehurst was a 3rd round pick 81st overall. Hoyer was an un-drafted free agent. Pedigree does matter when assigning trade value. More importantly, the trade was another awful one for the team acquiring the quarterback. Whitehurst is on the bench. Hoyer hasn't had the chance to show whether he can play in the NFL or not. His value is very low.

I really don't see how it's relevant in the slightest, you don't think the Giants could fetch some nice loot for a UDFA like Victor Cruz? How much could the Colts get for Jerry Hughes right now? How much was Aaron Curry traded for?

Last edited:
I really don't see how it's relevant in the slightest, you don't think the Giants could fetch some nice loot for a UDFA like Victor Cruz? How much could the Colts get for Jerry Hughes right now? How much was Aaron Curry traded for?

What has Hoyer done that makes anyone think he can play in the NFL?

You can't compare other positions to quarterbacks. Whitehurst had a baseline value. He was a 3rd rounder. He never got a chance to play because Rivers stayed healthy. Hoyer has a baseline value. Undrafted free agent. He could improve on that if given the chance. He just hasn't gotten it yet.

You can't compare other positions to quarterbacks. Whitehurst had a baseline value. He was a 3rd rounder. He never got a chance to play because Rivers stayed healthy. Hoyer has a baseline value. Undrafted free agent. He could improve on that if given the chance. He just hasn't gotten it yet.

Why can't I compare a QB to other positions? If one demonstrates they can perform then they have value.

Seeing how it's the most scarce and important in the NFL, and plenty of people's jobs are at stake based on a season which is TREMENDOUSLY impacted by QB play, I'd think a team would be very eager to get ahold of a solid signal caller.

When I've seen Hoyer play he was accurate and made good decisions, I've also seem him display MAGNIFICENT poise, stepping into and delivering throws right as he was being hit from the front, you cannot teach poise like that.

Accuracy, decision making, and poise are my 3 primary competencies and he has them, he's got a thin body of work but his NFL experience makes him much less of a risk then MANY college QBs, especially those in the 2nd round. On a team with a shaky starter and weak backups, like the Jets, making a trade for Hoyer allows them to not rock the boat but they can also get someone with the potential to take the reins.

Last edited:
Why can't I compare a QB to other positions? If one demonstrates they can perform then they have value.

Seeing how it's the most scarce and important in the NFL, and plenty of people's jobs are at stake based on a season which is TREMENDOUSLY impacted by QB play, I'd think a team would be very eager to get ahold of a solid signal caller.

When I've seen Hoyer play he was accurate and made good decisions, I've also seem him display MAGNIFICENT poise, stepping into and delivering throws right as he was being hit from the front, you cannot teach poise like that.

Accuracy, decision making, and poise are my 3 primary competencies and he has them, he's got a thin body of work but his NFL experience makes him much less of a risk then MANY college QBs, especially those in the 2nd round. On a team with a shaky starter and weak backups, like the Jets, making a trade for Hoyer allows them to not rock the boat but they can also get someone with the potential to take the reins.

Brian Hoyer has never played a down that counts. Where have you seen these things? Oh, you're basing it on pre-season. Nice. Because guys who play other positions. Actually play meaningful downs ...that's why

Brian Hoyer has never played a down that counts. Where have you seen these things? Oh, you're basing it on pre-season. Nice. Because guys who play other positions. Actually play meaningful downs ...that's why

Sorry, you can't fake putting the ball on the money, or good decisions, or poise. Grid has already demonstrated that a needy team will pay for a QB even if he has played very little.

Sorry, you can't fake putting the ball on the money, or good decisions, or poise. Grid has already demonstrated that a needy team will pay for a QB even if he has played very little.

Yeah, ones who were good prospects coming out of college. Finally, something we can agree on. Unfortunately, Hoyer has never been considered a good prospect at any time.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back