PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR might still be a huge draft day need

Personally I'd see no problem in subbing a stud draft prospect for either Washington, Gaffney or Caldwell. In fact I'll be shocked if all 3 of these guys make the 53 cut.

I view Kelley Washington as a "draft pick" so to speak. He's unproven with a lot of upside.

I'd be quite surprised if any of those 3 players get cut.

Counting Jackson, and not counting any of Kight/Childress/et al., the Pats have SIX WRs who deserve a roster spot for the upcoming season.

I don't see a point in drafting yet another WR unless they'd be happy cutting him to the PS. Yes, they MIGHT go with 6 WRs on the opening-day roster and Jackson on PUP, but I really doubt they'd be happy about having 7 WRs on the roster at any point, especially since there doesn't seem to be a huge number of ST studs in the group (ST play obviously being one way to get extra roster spots for a position, like ILB or S).

Counting Jackson, and not counting any of Kight/Childress/et al., the Pats have SIX WRs who deserve a roster spot for the upcoming season.

I don't see a point in drafting yet another WR unless they'd be happy cutting him to the PS. Yes, they MIGHT go with 6 WRs on the opening-day roster and Jackson on PUP, but I really doubt they'd be happy about having 7 WRs on the roster at any point, especially since there doesn't seem to be a huge number of ST studs in the group (ST play obviously being one way to get extra roster spots for a position, like ILB or S).

The Pats may be trying to innovate with the first 7 wide receiver offense of all time! It will astonish and amaze the football world! :eek:

Meanwhile, except for the DL, the defense is ready to fall apart.

OK, bring the abuse.:bricks:
RC,

No abuse from me.

I admit though I have never seen a secondary so ready to come apart with 8 Safeties and 5 or more CBs, only one of which is older than 31. He hasn't started much in the past two years, when they went 11-7 and 14-5 respectively. Many teams wish they had even four or five players in the secondary...

Did I mention that they set a team record for the fewest points allowed last season? Or that three of the 4 starters have received votes to the pro bowl in the past few years?

Only one LB's play dropped off; and is it possible that may have been due to playing with one hand and a club, instead of two hands?

RC,

No abuse from me.

I admit though I have never seen a secondary so ready to come apart with 8 Safeties and 5 or more CBs, only one of which is older than 31. He hasn't started much in the past two years, when they went 11-7 and 14-5 respectively. Many teams wish they had even four or five players in the secondary...

Did I mention that they set a team record for the fewest points allowed last season? Or that three of the 4 starters have received votes to the pro bowl in the past few years?

Only one LB's play dropped off; and is it possible that may have been due to playing with one hand and a club, instead of two hands?

8 safeties-list please

5 or more cornerbacks?

if you would list these 13 players we could have a conversation.

Are you counting Rashad Baker? You really want him playing crucial snaps in the AFC championship game?

No sarcasm here, I could not name 8 safeties on this team without going back to Lawyer Milloy.

Last edited:
It's quite possible that neither Stallworth nor Washignton are here beyond this next season. It's also quite possible that Troy is gone and it's quite possible that Jackson never materializes into anything. And Caldwell and Gaffney are UFA after this season.

If so then the Pats are left with nothing of significance at the WR spot beyond next season.

Don't be surprised if the Pats value a WR high this coming April.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone figured out that Stallworth is not Jerry Rice, and begin to clamor for another WR in the draft (on the off chance that we GET a Jerry Rice).

As I pointed out in one of the orgasmic WR threads, some people (somewhat irrationally, in my view) feel that the position isn't set unless we have a franchise WR signed for five years. And I pointed out that if you look at the Stallworth / Washington deals, by that logic, those individuals should be not exactly thrilled with what BB has done. And sure enough, here comes that thread.

Face it folks - as long as BB is the coach - this team is never going to go out and pay a proven 'franchise' WR like Steve Smith, Randy Moss, or Marvin Harrison. They don't fit BB's style of offense, nor Brady's ability to spread the ball around. Get it out of your system - it's not going to happen.

R

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back