PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade for Josh Gordon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Browns seem to be looking to start over “again” and there has been a lot of Twitter speculation about Josh Gordon being available in trade. We obviously need help at wide receiver, however Gordon is a risk due to his past character issues, that aside I would likely still offer the Browns a fourth round draft pick for him and hope he could be this year’s Talib.

What do you all think of Gordon and would you trade for him if you were Belichick?

Browns | Josh Gordon next out the door? - NFL Hot off the Wire

Scout.com: Josh Gordon Impresses At Pro Day

Josh Gordon Stats - Cleveland Browns - ESPN

My concern would be the level of expectation that we would have in terms of a very limited production for this current season of 2013, as it would take him a long time of trying to learn the playbook and system. They'd have to make him an inactive, which would seem like a waste of sorts.

There have been tons of good receivers who haven't been able to pick up the system, and Josh Gordon doesn't make me too comfortable that would change.

If they were looking towards the future--sure, but with 8 available WR's (in the next few weeks) there is already going to be a potential problem with space as it is.

My opinion is that Belichick will re-assess the WR position at the end of the year just like he does every season, and then will make moves depending upon what he deems as appropriate, but I'd have to doubt that he'd make a trade for any kind of outsider now.

I don't think they will trade for any WR its going to be the Rookies this year for better or worse

I don't think they will trade for any WR its going to be the Rookies this year for better or worse

Yep. The only other slight possibility would be bringing back a veteran with past knowledge in our system, and even that is remote under the current circumstances.

I couldn't see any scenario where an outsider would be brought in. Defense may be one thing, but the second most complicated position (arguably) outside of QB would be something altogether different.

Belichick will assess it after the season, and that will include the development of the rookies and the possible candidates that are out there in the spring/maybe summer.

No.

The guy is an idiot. He was suspended from BYU for failing a drug test. He entered the supplemental draft. He then failed multiple NFL drug tests. He is one failed test away from a season-long suspension. He reportedly did a ton of partying this past offseason after not getting out much and not connecting with his teammates as a rookie.

On the field, he's as talented as they come, but hasn't shown the work ethic to become a receiver that's going to be useful outside of flashes (pardon the terrible pun). Multiple coaches and players have questioned his work ethic.

So basically, he's got the talent of Moss, but also it sounds like the Raiders Moss' work ethic, fits in a locker room about as well as Hernandez, and has the drug issues of a guy who is a strike away from a season-long suspension. And you expect him to come in midseason and put in the work to learn the playbook and develop a connection with Brady? He sounds exactly like the kind of guy who'd be a waste after spending a whole offseason getting yelled at by Brady, much less doing it midseason.

I'm not saying he couldn't come in and be useful, but he's got about as many red flags as a player can have while still sticking in the NFL. He's extremely talented, but the Patriots probably are about raw talent the least of any team in the NFL.

Awesome idea.

Perfect move to bring in a WR from another system in the middle of a season.

As has been proven every year for the past decade-plus, the Patriots' route tree is exceptionally easy for a WR to pick up quickly. :D

Last edited:
I'm getting tired of all these threads. Why can't we give the rookies a chance? or are there just that many trolls on this board?

Sciz already outlined why this could never work.

I'll add that I'm more than comfortable with the players the Patriots already have. Trading for a nutjob like Gordon would reek of desperation and I highly doubt the team is in that much desperation-mode to even consider it.

maybe for a 6th round pick

Awesome idea.

Perfect move to bring in a WR from another system in the middle of a season.

As has been proven every year for the past decade-plus, the Patriots' route tree is exceptionally easy for a WR to pick up quickly. :D

Honestly I hear what you’re saying about picking up the offense and how players have had difficulty in the past. My agreement aside on that matter a few things come to mind:

1. The notable players who had trouble were Joey Galloway and Chad Johnson, both of them were when O’Brien was the coordinator, we’ve had several players adjust first year under McDaniel’s – Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Lloyd all were able to adjust pretty well in my opinion.
2. Even if Josh Gordon struggles in 2013 you’re still able to potentially pick up a player who is just 22 years old wide receiver who is extremely talented and signed through the end of 2015 season.

I guess the disconnect is in my OP when I perceived my desire for Gordon to address the need at wide receiver this season because of the obvious issues we have had, of course I would like that but I was also looking at this on a broader scope where we could bring Gordon in on a low risk, high reward deal. There are obviously other players on Cleveland that interest me Phil Taylor, Joe Haden, etc. all come to mind but only Gordon has come up as next out of town in the media and social networking sites.

Contract details: Josh Gordon Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & Transactions

Honestly I hear what you’re saying about picking up the offense and how players have had difficulty in the past. My agreement aside on that matter a few things come to mind:

1. The notable players who had trouble were Joey Galloway and Chad Johnson, both of them were when O’Brien was the coordinator, we’ve had several players adjust first year under McDaniel’s – Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Lloyd all were able to adjust pretty well in my opinion.
[/url]

Not one of them adjusted on the fly in the middle of a season.

Of Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Lloyd which ones came in during the middle of a season?

Only Gaffney.

And he stunk in that season of 2006. Positively stunk. It was the worst year of his career (until last year where he hung it up).

11 reception on 20 targetings in 11 games.

Sorry, but I'll take Dobson and Thompkins over that any day. Let the kids grow and learn

Last edited:
I'm getting tired of all these threads. Why can't we give the rookies a chance? or are there just that many trolls on this board?

If Cleveland is looking to unload Gordon and we can get him on a low risk high reward type deal I do not see the issue. It has nothing to do with the rookie wide receivers, we could Randy Moss and Welker again and if we were able to add a 22 year old player on a rookie contract while giving up minimum compensation it is a good idea in my mind, it does not mean you’re not giving the rookies a chance it means you’re adding to that group,

Not sure how asking if you would acquire a player rumored to be on the trade market meets any of the criteria below of what a troll is maybe you can explain it to me:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. While this sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling also used to describe intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families

Of Gaffney, Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Lloyd which ones came in during the middle of a season?

Gaffney.

And he stunk in 2006. Positively stunk.

None, but like I said if you can pick up Gordon for low compensation his contributions don’t have to be this season, heck we had Ballard on IR all of last season. I am not saying to give up a first or second round pick for him I am saying if he can be had for a mid-round pick he seems like someone at least considering.

Only Gaffney.

And he stunk in that season of 2006. Positively stunk. It was the worst year of his career (until last year where he hung it up).

11 reception on 20 targetings in 11 games.

I was living in Parvan Province, Afghanistan back in 2006 and Comcast didn’t have the greatest service during my deployment so I just assumed on Gaffney :)

Sorry, but I'll take Dobson and Thompkins over that any day. Let the kids grow and learn.

Like I said in my original post making a move for Gordon isn’t about the receivers not being good enough as it is about a player with all pro talent potentially being had for below market value.

Like I said in my original post making a move for Gordon isn’t about the receivers not being good enough as it is about a player with all pro talent potentially being had for below market value.
What have you determined as Gordon's market value and what would you be willing to offer to secure him? His physical talent is undeniable but the mental aptitude may not match what the Patriots appear to look for.

If it's a 5th sure, but he's already missed out on developing chemistry with Brady.

I was living in Parvan Province, Afghanistan back in 2006 and Comcast didn’t have the greatest service during my deployment so I just assumed on Gaffney :)

1) Thank you for your service!

2) You missed a truly ugly Patriots WR corps

3) Getting that group to within one 4th quarter drive of the SB that year was Brady's greatest career achievement.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Would you trade for Josh Gordon?

No.

The guy is an idiot. He was suspended from BYU for failing a drug test. He entered the supplemental draft. He then failed multiple NFL drug tests. He is one failed test away from a season-long suspension. He reportedly did a ton of partying this past offseason after not getting out much and not connecting with his teammates as a rookie.

On the field, he's as talented as they come, but hasn't shown the work ethic to become a receiver that's going to be useful outside of flashes (pardon the terrible pun). Multiple coaches and players have questioned his work ethic.

So basically, he's got the talent of Moss, but also it sounds like the Raiders Moss' work ethic, fits in a locker room about as well as Hernandez, and has the drug issues of a guy who is a strike away from a season-long suspension. And you expect him to come in midseason and put in the work to learn the playbook and develop a connection with Brady? He sounds exactly like the kind of guy who'd be a waste after spending a whole offseason getting yelled at by Brady, much less doing it midseason.

I'm not saying he couldn't come in and be useful, but he's got about as many red flags as a player can have while still sticking in the NFL. He's extremely talented, but the Patriots probably are about raw talent the least of any team in the NFL.

Good feedback Sciz, I wasn't aware of all the red flags he had.

I saw a lot of tweets about him today and figured it was worthy to at least pose the question in here.

Re: Re: Would you trade for Josh Gordon?

Sciz already outlined why this could never work.

I'll add that I'm more than comfortable with the players the Patriots already have. Trading for a nutjob like Gordon would reek of desperation and I highly doubt the team is in that much desperation-mode to even consider it.

I agree Sciz did a great job, as far as reeking of desperation i think that depends on what you give up in compensation, this move doesn't have to be about us needing a receiver it can be about us picking up a high potential player for a very low cost and if he doesn't work out we cut it loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back