PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would the Pats trade up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently many believe that the only needs that count are starters or major contributers in 2009. It seems for these folks, we might as well trade as many picks we can into 2010 when those top draft picks can start in 2010.

If we agree with that position, let's just draft an OLB or better yet sign taylor, and trade as many picks as we can into 2010. After all, under this analysis, there is only one real need for 2009: a starting OLB. This position does have one concession. Since they don't like James Sanders, some think of SS as a need, so that our $3-4M starting safety can be put on the bench.
==============================================
MY POSITON: AFTER WE SIGN A FREE AGENT OR DRAFT AN OLB and SS
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1) We still have needs, perhaps (hopefully) none critical for success in 2009. After all, that is the point of our fre agency strategy: to have no absolute needs going into the draft.

2) There is an opportunity to meet 2010 needs with 2009 backups at FS, OG, OT and ILB. It is also critical to understand that it is important to have reasonable backups at all positions.

3) At many positions, a year or two of development helps a lot in having players become serious contributers, so the time to draft 2010 and 2011 contributers is now. I would note that I think almost all of us agree that we need to acquire a high-quality OLB and SS as soon as we can.

A lot of forum members seem content to start six rookies in 2010. Either that or they think Bob Kraft

will over pay 6 or 8 players to retain them.

Last edited:
They should trade for Frank Lampard and John terry, they would be stars in the NFL. Trust me.

nobody knows. but what i do know is that we should expect anything. we can move from 23 up into the top 3 and take curry if we wanted, or we could trade from 23 back into the 2nd round plus get a 3rd and use 2 of our 3 thirds to get a 5th 2nd round pick.

i dont know what to expect, but i wouldnt be surprised at anything. based on the offseason thus far, this has been an amazing month for us patriots fans and i think 2009 will be a tremendous year if Brady stays healthy.

good things boys and girls, good things

agreed theres a million ways we could go. why bother with scenarios. ill just let coach work his magic. i can't wait though!

With all the FA's we've signed and the cap situation does anyone really expect us to trade up? Really?

Of course. Who doesn't trade up, and stockpiles picks instead?........ teams that are rebuilding, that's who.
We are far from being in a rebuilding mode. We can trade our entire draft for
1 special player if we see fit. Not that that would happen unless we just hired ditka.

I can see where you are going with this cousin but I have an idea that without a CAP done next year, this could affect the Draft as we know it. Small TV teams will suffer but the Jerry Jones and Snyder's of the NFL will salivate.

It would be my impression that without a CAP, teams can target individual open positions without regard to money spent. Therefor, instead of hoping they can address a roster need with an unknown quantity such as a Draft pick, the team will target a proven NFL player instead.

The good news is that it could affect the $30m #1 Draft choice STUPIDITY. That number will have to move as the agent will now have more competition with the FA player as the team is no longer handcuffed.

I see Draft choices in an uncapped year being not as important in filling that certain roster spot as with a FA in 2010. Draft choices will be the roster fillers (at least the lower rounds) rather than being counted on as first day starters (the Pats might be the exception). How many teams hope that fourth round pick with be an instant starter? They all want to be lucky and get a Samuel there or Brady in the sixth, but teams today count way too heavily on those players. Now, in 2010, just buy the right guy.

So what I am saying is stockpiling picks to target or move up in the draft in 2010 is going to be different. Maybe all that many picks aren't necessasry in an uncapped year? Look how much talent there is still on the FA board? Yes the percentage of top stars is done quickly, but next year the Taylors, Holts and to the lesser extent Mike Wrights of the world, won't be sitting two weeks into FA.
Thoughts? Just thinking this through.
DW Toys

From what I've heard, there isn't a draft at all in an uncapped year.
So, next years draft picks COULD be moot. Just means there's even more reason to make sure we get the crappiest draft position we can in '10....SB44 and pick #32, here we come! lol

Last edited:
All i gotta say is IN BB WE TRUST!!

With the combination of the roster being fairly well set, and having so many draft picks in hand, I can see distinct possibilities of (a) an attempt to convert at least one pick in to a better pick next year, and (b) at least one draft pick being red-shirted, err, I mean placed on IR - as well as the possibility of moving up if the situation presents itself.

The amount of flexibility the Pats have entering the draft is truly an enviable position to be in for fans and staff of the 31 other teams.

This year I'd say there is a higher likelihood we trade up this year because our 1st round pick is a little lower than usual:

2001: #6 - Richard Seymour
2002: #21 - Daniel Graham - we traded up from #32
2003: #13 - Ty Warren - this came from the Bledoe trade with Buffalo, and then we traded up 1 more spot on draft day
2004: #21 - Vince Wilfork - trade w/ Ravens: we gave a 2003 1st and got a 2003 2nd (Eugene Wilson) and a 2004 1st
2005: #32 - Logan Mankins
2006: #21 - Lawrence Maroney
2007: #24 - Brandon Meriweather
2008: #10 - Jerrod Mayo - trade w/49ers from 2007

So only twice in 8 years have we picked lower than #23.

With the range of picks we have as trade bait, we could:

- package our 3rd rounder and move up to the 19-20 range.
- package our low 2nd and move up to the 15-16 range
- package our mid-2nd and move up to the 13-14 range
- package our high 2nd and move up to the 10-11 range

Or, leave our #23 alone and move up from #34 to:
- #26-28 by giving up our 3rd
- #20-22 by giving up our low 2nd
- that would give us 2 picks in the low-mid 20's

just because you have the ability to trade up, doesnt mean you should trade up. we have to see whats available. we could do nothing, we could trade down with our first pick then move into the 2nd round with 2 3rds, we could do a lot of things, which is more than most teams can do

While it's important not be oblivious of what BB has or has not done in the past, it can be dangerous to declare absolutes based on those past behaviours that may have been simply tactical as opposed to philosophical. Each season BB studies the ever changing environment of the NFL, rules, defenses, trends and then looks at his roster resources and formulates a plan with multiple contingencies to execute the plan.

As of now he's done a very good job in FA of backstoping 2009 needs, but some of that just backstops one or two seasons. The draft is where the mid to long range plan comes into play. Given all his available resources of fairly high round picks, the uncertainties of 2010 as a potential uncaped year and the DL stronghold open for FA next year, Bill's plan has to be complex, multifaceted and most of all dynamic and flexible. Who knows who will fall to what draft position? I'm no student of college talent nor a draftnik but draft day(s) promises to be exciting.

Very well said.

It is interesting that you have a different copy of the CBA than we do.

There will be a draft next year under the existing player's agreement in an uncapped year. Of course, a new Agreement could be signed with new rules.

From what I've heard, there isn't a draft at all in an uncapped year.
So, next years draft picks COULD be moot. Just means there's even more reason to make sure we get the crappiest draft position we can in '10....SB44 and pick #32, here we come! lol

just because you have the ability to trade up, doesnt mean you should trade up. we have to see whats available. we could do nothing, we could trade down with our first pick then move into the 2nd round with 2 3rds, we could do a lot of things, which is more than most teams can do

I agree with this. The point I was making by listing our previous picks in round 1 is that BB has been able to pick higher than #24 in 6 of the past 8 years. Given our ammo, I think there's a better than even chance he'll move up. I think he likes picking at 10 or 15 rather than the mid-20's.

Circumstances will drive the decision, but moving up is likely imo.

A good bet is that he'll use one of the 2nd's or our 3rd to move up from #23, and trade one of the 2nd's for a 2010 pick.

I also think the greatest needs are at OT and DE. I'm not so sure about OLB has BB just cut an LB a couple of weeks ago due to a crowded roster at that position. but I do think that if a high value OLB with serious pass rush skills falls within 3 or 4 picks, he may trade up. Otherwise, I think a DE (Sey's replacement) will be targeted day 1.

Will they move UP?? DOWN?? get more picks?? Give some up?? It all depemds on the platers that are taken...who they evaluate as value...for a particular spot...to move up JUST to move up is silly...Would they?? It all depends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes