PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would the Patriots defense be better with Devin McCourty at safety?

Sure, I get that. It's just that the numbers are SO striking--more than most QBs, it just got me thinking if any other guy--a linebacker, a CB, whatever--showed that kind of disparity.

I'm on board with your line of thinking on this.

That's why I so bummed out he fumbled the kickoff after bringing one back. On the one after the fumble, he ran it out looking, to me, terrified of fumbling again.

You should have seen how terrified I looked.

You should have seen how terrified I looked.

amazing-batmans-funny-photos-15.jpg

Personally, I think a better question is would the Pats be better with Arrington on the inactive list?

I think McCourty might be used in a position according to who the team is playing,It might change week to week depending on the opposition.

The defense would be much better if Devin McCourty (and the rest of that pathetic secondary) was selling popcorn in the stands.

Last edited:
Devin McCourty Leaning on Patrick Chung, Steve Gregory in Embracing Transition to Safety - New England Patriots - NESN.com

"I haven't had a lot of snaps at it," McCourty admitted on Wednesday. "So it will still be a learning process."

Learning a new position can't be easy, especially for a player who has spent the last seven seasons -- including college -- in coverage on the outside. New techniques, new adjustments and new responsibilities can all be severely overwhelming for a young player. But that's where McCourty sought the guidance of some veterans.

"I lean a lot on our coaches and guys like Steve [Gregory] and Pat [Chung], who weren't able to play last week, but I listen to those guys a lot," McCourty said of transitioning to safety. "And I just try to use my knowledge of the defense to help me out and know different things to do back there."

The direction from Chung and Gregory obviously helped on Sunday against the Jets as McCourty looked comfortable in the deep spot and the secondary actually seemed to be more secure; at least Bill Belichick thought so.

"I thought the deep part of the field was more secure than it's been," Belichick said after Sunday's 29-26 win.

McCourty has found some inherent differences from his normal cornerback role while learning the new position. But nothing he's been unable to adjust to.

"You just get to see it from a different vantage point, and you get to see the whole field different than playing corner. The biggest thing is you just have to have a different level of responsibility as far as making sure everyone is lined up, making sure everyone is playing the same coverage."​

gah it would bug me if we moved him to safety permanently. I think devon is a good corner. He gives up some big plays but not nearly at the rate as last year, and i still think he plays solid throughout games for the most part.

I feel like dev plays it "safe" when he plays safety and gives a lot of cushion.

Devin is a cb, and i hope he regains his pro bowl status eventually.

I don't know. I'm worried that McCourty would have a Eugene Wilson sort of career, where injury would dramatically curtail his effectiveness over time.

On the other hand, Chung has been stinking out the joint and McCourty hasn't been getting it done at CB. I suggested a starting 4 of

Dowling
Dennard
Wilson
McCourty

for the Rams game in another thread. I still think that's worth a shot.

They are so incredibly young - two rookies, a 2nd year guy who is effectively still a rookie and a third year guy who is just learning how to play safety. It's like having a college secondary on the field. Fortunately, the Rams have a kiddie corps for receivers and young QB.

They are so incredibly young - two rookies, a 2nd year guy who is effectively still a rookie and a third year guy who is just learning how to play safety. It's like having a college secondary on the field. Fortunately, the Rams have a kiddie corps for receivers and young QB.

Yet Sam Bradford is still going to light up our secondary.:(

With Ras-I Dowling being placed on injured reserve for the Rams game it will be McCourty, Wilson and Ebner at safety, and Dennard, Moore and Arrington at cornerback.

I would guess that the base defense would have McCourty and Wilson at safety and Dennard at one of the corners; I suppose Moore gets the start over Arrington at the other corner. Then Arrington comes in on the nickel to cover the slot receiver, Ebner in on dime situations.

If there is an injury ... I guess Edelman would get the call?

Pats will surely bring in some cornerbacks for workouts during the bye week, unless they have enough faith and confidence that Malcolm Williams is ready to get on the field.

Last edited:
Why not just blitz every down? Why not send at least 5 or 6 every passing down?

Why not just blitz every down? Why not send at least 5 or 6 every passing down?

Because the opposing offense would kill us with quick slants, quick outs, and, should it be protected, go routes and posts deep down the field. I support blitzing more than we do, mind you, but not every passing down. :)

Looks like we might have to rely on Chung at safety eventually and move McCourty back. Dennard has shown promise but still largely unproven. Moore and Arrington are NOT options you want at CB2/CB3.

Or trade for someone. And find someone who can actually evaluate DB talent. I mean really 3 2nd rounders and a 1st rounder since 2008 on CB's and Sunday our top 3 corners will be a 7th rounder and 2 guys who weren't even drafted.

Looks like we might have to rely on Chung at safety eventually and move McCourty back. Dennard has shown promise but still largely unproven. Moore and Arrington are NOT options you want at CB2/CB3.

Or trade for someone. And find someone who can actually evaluate DB talent. I mean really 3 2nd rounders and a 1st rounder since 2008 on CB's and Sunday our top 3 corners will be a 7th rounder and 2 guys who weren't even drafted.

With Corners, BB has always been a strong believer of "quantity over quality". Thats why he likes to train WRs to play CB as well.

Because the opposing offense would kill us with quick slants, quick outs, and, should it be protected, go routes and posts deep down the field. I support blitzing more than we do, mind you, but not every passing down. :)

I'm telling you, blitz every down. It's our only chance. Blitz while we're on offense for god's sake.

This defense is not better with McCourty at Safety. That's sacrificing our only good CB. Sterling Moore should fill that vacant Safety spot due to injuries.

McCourty/Dennard at CB and Wilson/More at S is much better than Dennard/Arrington at CB and McCourty/Wilson at S

*To everyone saying Dowling should start

He's on IR again. But he's improving! He's lasted three times as long as he did last year. That, my friends, to Bill Belichick, is improvement!

Take the Devin McCourty move to safety thing and throw it out. We gotta have him at CB, there's no way we can let Arrington keep starting, there's just no way.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back