PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread

I thought it was Cisse who got his orders at first. The sending off was a foul but thats all it was. Another game I missed the second half of but I've managed the average Greece v Argentina, one nil to the Argies at the mo..

I thought it was Cisse who got his orders at first. The sending off was a foul but thats all it was. Another game I missed the second half of but I've managed the average Greece v Argentina, one nil to the Argies at the mo..

Two-nil now. And I'm a believer. ("When the facts change I change my mind. Pray, sir, what do you do?" Keynes) Despite all of the Argentinian changes and how much more there is at stake for Greece, there's only been one team in it. Mind you, I bet that there are a lot of teams that would look pretty good if you added Messi. And they're playing with a smile. No objections if this lot win the tournament.

Two-nil now. And I'm a believer. ("When the facts change I change my mind. Pray, sir, what do you do?" Keynes) Despite all of the Argentinian changes and how much more there is at stake for Greece, there's only been one team in it. Mind you, I bet that there are a lot of teams that would look pretty good if you added Messi. And they're playing with a smile. No objections if this lot win the tournament.

Even if they don't win, I have enjoyed watching them (I missed tonight's game)
and they seem to be having fun doing it. Where as France ;)

Three good teams so far Uruguay, Argentina & Brazil. We'll see how Germany bounces back.

Three good teams so far Uruguay, Argentina & Brazil. We'll see how Germany bounces back.

Will also be interesting to see if Holland can actually win comfortably and not scrape a result with lucky goals!

Don't misunderestimate Germany, Spain or Portugal. They've had a bad result each, but aren't bad sides.

(Not very impressed with Brazil -- maybe that's only because I'm measuring them by the standards of creativity I expect from a Brazil team.)

(Not very impressed with Brazil -- maybe that's only because I'm measuring them by the standards of creativity I expect from a Brazil team.)

I like the look of Brazil, they aren't as good as previous teams, but still look good and strong.

Isn't Klose out for this round? That will be a huge hit to overcome for the Germans.
Group C and D today, I'm pumped!!!!
Poo... England just scored.

Congrats to the U.S.! Well deserved.

England should have won 3:0 but still managed to make it a nerve-wracking afternoon. There was enough there, though, to show that if they could only relax and play to their strengths (physical strength among them) they are a pretty good side.

What a terrific, and well deserved win by the US. I was so nervous that they weren't going to score. Now if my Azzurri can win tomorrow, I'll have 2 more games to look forward to next week.

I feared the US was going to get hosed by the ref again, Donovan to the rescue!

WOW. That was awesome. Way to make us nervous until the very end guys!!!

Side note, I just found this Dave Barry quote about the World Cup that I particularly enjoyed:

This is more than you can say for the French team, which -- I am not making this up -- went on strike. Yes! They went on strike during the World Cup. This has to be one of the most spectacular exhibitions of Frenchness in the history of Frenchitude.

No wonder football gets a bad name over there, Donovan's crying his little eyes out the big tart. :D Christ, like he won an Oscar.....

Alot better from England, the work rate and intensity for the majority of the game was good and they worked the ball alot better. Still sloppy at times but that was a million miles away from the first two games, a bit more freedom for the lads too. We play like that first two games we win both.

No wonder football gets a bad name over there, Donovan's crying his little eyes out the big tart. :D Christ, like he won an Oscar.....

Alot better from England, the work rate and intensity for the majority of the game was good and they worked the ball alot better. Still sloppy at times but that was a million miles away from the first two games, a bit more freedom for the lads too. We play like that first two games we win both.

Just got to wait and see who we get know! It could be any of the 4 teams!

Yup, good night of football ahead. In theory it should be Germany topping the group but they were sloppy against Serbia and I still fancy the Ghanians to make most teams earn there wins. Hopefully the games are as edgy as the group is...

Yup, good night of football ahead. In theory it should be Germany topping the group but they were sloppy against Serbia and I still fancy the Ghanians to make most teams earn there wins. Hopefully the games are as edgy as the group is...

I think a Serbia win and a Ghana/Germany draw :) Which I think means Serbia and Ghana qualify :)

Congratulations to both the USA and England in qualifying for the last 16.
After spending a couple of days in work in Newcastle, I was hoping to get back across the border before todays England game. No luck! I made it to Carlisle, and had to watch the game in a pub with about 30 or 40 English fans. :mad: I had 1 pint whilst sitting amongst them, and kept my mouth shut. It was more a grimace than a smile when they scored. :eek:
As soon as the 90mins was up, jumped into the car and over the border. Never again!

Congratulations to both the USA and England in qualifying for the last 16.
After spending a couple of days in work in Newcastle, I was hoping to get back across the border before todays England game. No luck! I made it to Carlisle, and had to watch the game in a pub with about 30 or 40 English fans. :mad: I had 1 pint whilst sitting amongst them, and kept my mouth shut. It was more a grimace than a smile when they scored. :eek:
As soon as the 90mins was up, jumped into the car and over the border. Never again!

Need some dental work after clenching your teeth all match? :eek:

Think of it as being for the best that they won while you were stuck there...the thought of them not advancing and being trapped with 30-40 fans would have been a scary scenario :eek:

Watching ESPN and Dempsy and Donnovan get the credit for the goal vs. Algeria...yet the bigger thing that play was the stop by Howard from point blank range off the Algerian player that led to the dribble up field for the Dempsy and Donnovan shots.

Howard is playing well, without him USA wouldn't have tied let alone beaten any of the three teams. A shame that the talking heads aren't giving him more credit but being non-goaltenders probably gives them a bias in favor of the offensive players.

Howard's 'pass' to Donnovan is being overlooked it was put on the money in space and he was moving, set up the winning rush.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back