PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread

I thought the Paraguayans were more than capable of being dirty tonight but they always have been, along with Chile. De Rossi was running through first half and one of the Paraguayans (forget his name) raked his studs down his achillies. There was also a leg breaker on Montolivo and three or four late tackles on Pepe. Camoranesi was just giving a little back, thats all.

Italy will have to step it up but the same can be said for the vast majority of teams we've seen so far.

I thought the Paraguayans were more than capable of being dirty tonight but they always have been, along with Chile. De Rossi was running through first half and one of the Paraguayans (forget his name) raked his studs down his achillies. There was also a leg breaker on Montolivo and three or four late tackles on Pepe. Camoranesi was just giving a little back, thats all.

I don't doubt you watched the game more closely than me and, if the Paraguayans were at it -- well, the h*ll with them too.

I do remember a blonde boy -- think it must have been De Rossi -- running through and going down with no one near him. He's clutching his shin, rolling his eyes in agony. "Mama Mia!" "Holy Mother of God, don't let me be a cripple!" And, you know what? Two minutes later he's running around like a good 'un. A miracle! Honestly, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

As for Camoranesi, that foul he got booked for looked *really* nasty to me. It was clearly over the top, not really high but just between shin and ankle (below the shinpad?) It wasn't a Rooney-Gazza full-tilt reckless foul or like the one that Carragher got (rightly) booked for against the U.S. (any later and they'd have charged him for an extra night). But as I saw it Camoranesi twisted his foot inwards deliberately as he went by -- he knew his target and went for it. That's why I'd have given it a straight red.

I don't doubt you watched the game more closely than me and, if the Paraguayans were at it -- well, the h*ll with them too.

I do remember a blonde boy -- think it must have been De Rossi -- running through and going down with no one near him. He's clutching his shin, rolling his eyes in agony. "Mama Mia!" "Holy Mother of God, don't let me be a cripple!" And, you know what? Two minutes later he's running around like a good 'un. A miracle! Honestly, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

As for Camoranesi, that foul he got booked for looked *really* nasty to me. It was clearly over the top, not really high but just between shin and ankle (below the shinpad?) It wasn't a Rooney-Gazza full-tilt reckless foul or like the one that Carragher got (rightly) booked for against the U.S. (any later and they'd have charged him for an extra night). But as I saw it Camoranesi twisted his foot inwards deliberately as he went by -- he knew his target and went for it. That's why I'd have given it a straight red.

Just watched the same as you bud. The Italians are more than capable of dramatics as you say, it's embarrasing for the game. If you ever want to see oscar winning performances though watch Daniel Alves if he plays for Brazil today, I swear to god his play acting actualy draws laughter. Like you say with De Rossi he goes down like Tyson just swung at him, rolls around and then just gets up like nothing happened, happy as Larry (whoever Larry is).

If that Mexican ref (who done Germany's) was doing last nights game there would have been a couple of reds I think, one or two Paraguayans may have joined Camoranesi. There really was some snide play, that belongs in ale house football.

New Zealand 1-1 Slovakia

Ivory Coast 0-0 Portugal

Both games not very good at all.

This tournament has still to take off. Hopefully, Brazil tonight and Spain tomorrow will lift the spirits.

The only thing that has got my pulse racing, are the 36 Dutch models in mini-skirts, hired by a beer company to advertise their product. :D

World Cup 2010: Fifa detains 36 female Holland fans for 'ambush marketing' | Football | guardian.co.uk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...lland-fans-gatecrashed-World-Cup-beer-ad.html

Last edited:
Another average two games and I had hoped for better from the Ivorians and Portugal (0-0). Not even worth mentioning New Zealand and Slovakia (1-1) although it was nice to see Skrtel playing again. Heres hoping Brazil turn it on a bit later..

Last edited:

You'd have to think that a beer called "Bavaria" would be a tough one to sell to Dutch football fans during a World Cup. Mind you, those ladies make a POWERFUL case ... :D

Another average two games and I had hoped for better from the Ivorians and Portugal (0-0). Not even worth mentioning New Zealand and Slovakia (1-1) although it was nice to see Skrtel playing again. Heres hoping Brazil turn it on a bit later..

Yeah, pretty ordinary. And Brazil hardly showed the beautiful game. The North Korean goal apart, I can't think of anything exciting all evening (nicely timed pass for Brazil's second goal, I'll admit -- but nothing special).

So far I've seen Germany, Messi and ... meh!

Brazil 2-1 N.Korea (In N.Korea they are celebrating their 5-0 win!)

Another crap game though. :mad:

I'm genuinely losing all interest in the tournament. :eek:

Hopefully, Spain will delight us with some passing to players in their own team, some shots below 30ft, crosses and corners that beat the first man and a couple of non-flukey goals. :D

Has there ever been a worse co-commentator as there was tonight on ITV?
Step forward for your prize, Chris Coleman.

Dunga has dampened the samba I have to say, very tentative. Don't get me wrong the Koreans worked hard, were compact and defended well but I got the feeling if Brazil moved the ball quicker they would have worked openings alot more. Robinho's pass was one of the finest balls you will ever see for Elano's goal and I'm still debating wether Maicon meant that. He looked like he wanted to cross it but maybe that was the plan...Still, it took individual brilliance rather than a convincing team showing for the Brazilians.

Seems like all we have done is moan so far but the standard has been poor from teams with exceptional talents, first round of games or not, the football should be better. I'm really starting to get the impresion there's a real fear of losing the first game this year. I would imagine the competition will pick up from here on out as groups start to take shape, after Spain get on the dancefloor of course.

Last edited:
Well, here we are with the first big upset of the tournament! Spain 0-1 Switzerland.

I saw most of the first half and the end of the second -- but missed the goal. From what I saw, the Spaniards can't complain. They had more of the possession but didn't do much with it (one brilliant shot off the bar excepted). The Swiss were just fit and committed and seem to have got lucky with their goal (route one, defense at sixes and sevens, lad comes through and pokes it into the net -- sort of Sam Allardyce goal). Nearly had another with a really determined solo run from number 19, whoever he was.

I did see some of Chile-Honduras as well and the Chileans were very worthy winners. We should have a World Cup word: JAT = Just Another Team. The Hondurans were typical JATs. But Chile played with pace and invention from what I saw.

Just seen a Mercedes ad which runs through the history of the firm and its great cars. Silver racers, gull wings, all of that. Funny, they seem to have skipped the thirties -- no shot of Adolf getting in and out of his Mercedes limos with the swastikas on them ... ;)

Now they're interviewing Del Bosque. Hang-dog face plus moustache. Don't need the sound on to know what he's saying ... And now it's Ottmar Hitzfeld. My goodness! He's just brought off an incredible upset and he looks furious. I shudder to think what the dressing-room would be like if he'd lost! Still, they look at him like the Messiah down in the Alps and you can see why.

Spain were very much like Argentina, dominated possession but hardly penetrated. Still, the Argies managed to nick one atleast. Torres looked rusty as hell although alot more lean. Chile were very active and threatening, it's just the same thing again, the Germans are the only teams who've been anything like clinical.

Also, got to love Maradona's outspokeness;

"We all know what the French are like and Platini as a Frenchman thinks he knows it all".

The only one to have the balls to say what everyone else thinks about Platini. He also told Pele to get back in the museum.

Also, got to love Maradona's outspokeness;

"We all know what the French are like and Platini as a Frenchman thinks he knows it all".

The only one to have the balls to say what everyone else thinks about Platini. He also told Pele to get back in the museum.

Wow!

Was there anything particular on his mind? or was he ... you know, just spreading the love? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Uruguay 3-0 South Africa

A super performance by the Uruguayans. A real team effort.
The South Africans looked like an amateur team.

I really enjoyed this game. The way Uruguayans defended, kept the ball and passed it to each other was a joy.
Diego Forlan will take all the plaudits, rightly so, he was fantastic, but I could name five others who were outstanding. The two holding midfielders denied SA any space in the centre, and if they got by them, they had the central defenders to deal with. Suarez up front played really well.
Good stuff! :D

Now we have the first round of games out of the road, let's hope for more of the same as we got tonight.

I agree the South Africans were outclassed. Like all the African teams I've seen so far, they had some strong and athletic players but no cohesion no conception of how a side defends as a team, attacks as a team.

But I did feel sorry for them. The second goal/sending off was very hard.

What I noticed, though, was that Parreira, about five minutes before the second goal was turning to his assistant and shaking his head. I can't lip-read Portuguese, but I guess it was something like "you tell them five times but they still don't listen". Now here's what I think.

You're coaching a side and they're clearly outclassed. What's worse, they're at home in front of a huge, adoring crowd. For many of these guys, it's the high-spot of their lives. Well, they're going to get beaten, but you owe it to them to stand with them to the very end -- give them the message that they're your guys and you're proud of them.

Football is a very strange game. Yes, sheer skill and fitness matter. But when those are nearly equal, morale, motivation and organization make a big difference. The problem is that commitment and organization can go in opposite directions -- get over-excited and you lose discipline. The greatest coaches have ways of getting the two at once. You can say what you like about Baron Bluff of Nottingham but it was obvious that his guys always felt that he was behind them and believed that they could beat anybody. And -- more often than they should have -- they did.

It seemed to me that Parreira gave up on his team -- and that, however justified from an objective point of view, is just wrong.

Wow!

Was there anything particular on his mind? or was he ... you know, just spreading the love? :rolleyes:

Both had questioned his coaching methods and ability to coach. Fact is Diego could be the worlds worst coach and yet the Argentinian squad would listen and follow every word because he's Maradona. Every coach needs 10 inch thick skin and if anyones got that it's him me thinks...

I watched Argentina train the other day, seems like they were having fun to me. There was a game they were playing, the theme of it was basically just kick the sh!t out of each other for a bit.

I missed most of the SA game but I did see the sending off before. Did Suarez recive any attention for that gunshot he sustained?

Last edited:
Both had questioned his coaching methods and ability to coach. Fact is Diego could be the worlds worst coach and yet the Argentinian squad would listen and follow every word because he's Maradona. Every coach needs 10 inch thick skin and if anyones got that it's him me thinks...

Yes, definitely. It's funny that the higher you get in football, in one way the less coaching you need. I mean these guys know about picking up their men at corners. And old Diego, you can say that he's been there, done that, got the t-shirt ... the winner's medal, the quadruple bypass, the perforated septum -- and probably a whole lot of other sh!t that doesn't bear thinking about.

Still, I couldn't help wondering if he hadn't brought a little Peruvian marching powder with him in his underpants.

I watched Argentina train the other day, seems like they were having fun to me. There was a game they were playing, the theme of it was basically just kick the sh!t out of each other for a bit.

Sounds good. I don't know much about Argie football but I gather that some of their rivalries (Boca Juniors/River Plate) are in the Rangers/Celtic class. If they're taking lumps out of each other, it loosens that kind of stuff up.

I missed most of the SA game but I did see the sending off before. Did Suarez recive any attention for that gunshot he sustained?

Yes, well they didn't replay things all that much but the guy looked miles off-side in the first place. Tough break, what with the first goal being a deflection. But the third was an absolute beauty. As I say, I just wish they'd been able to lose with a bit more pride.

Oh, and Nkosi Sikelele Africa makes me weep every time ...

From the bits I saw of Argentina 4-1 S. Korea I'm a believer. If getting a hug from a fat, bearded drug addict is what it takes to get the Argentinians playing like that, so be it.

Messi was great (again) but this time the whole team played really well. The first two goals could be blamed on poor Korean defending and the Korean goal was a bad defensive blunder, but, all in all, it was a great performance. The Argentinians were fast, skilful, imaginative and always happy to receive the ball under pressure. I think they'd have beaten any other team we've seen so far, Germany (just about) included.

Now we're into Nigeria-Greece. Nigeria have taken the lead with a very soft looking goal from a free kick and then had a man sent off for kicking out at a Greek guy after the ball was long gone.

Another game I had to skim while getting a few things done. Watching Nigeria now though, as you say Mike poor goal to conceed, the qualiser a jammy deflection and the sending off was rediculous. No need to do that regardless of how hard it was and because of it Nigeria have fell apart now, after bad luck with the goal and one of their best players now off with injury.

When I was playing I really can't imagine myself acting the way the Greek fella did after the kick. I mean, would you really do down like he'd blown your knee out? You'd just stand there and wave as he walks off....I know alot of lads who would have lamped him.

Last edited:
I had a look at the Nigerian goal again at half-time and the German analyst was dead right -- not the goalie's fault at all. The ball is coming over and there's a Nigerian with a clear shot at a header. The goalie moves across to anticipate it ... and the guy ducks (deliberately or not, I don't know). Anyway, there's nothing the goalie can do, he's committed and the ball bounces tamely into the far corner. Tough -- or brilliant play.

I didn't see the Greek player at the sending off, but the Nigerian had to go, didn't he? You can't lift your studs at your opponent even if (as it seemed to me) he didn't make contact.

And falling apart? Yes, I missed most of the rest of the game, but I saw about the last ten minutes. Another very disappointing performance by an African team. The thing is, you wouldn't mind if they were going out, showing their skills, setting up a goal or two and perhaps making a few stupid mistakes as well. But, from what I've seen so far, the African sides have just been boring and limited.

Oh yes, he definately had a go, wasn't disuputing the sending off I just find that type of over reaction rediculous. It wasn't a kick that sent him in the advertising boards but thats where he ended up. The linesman was looking right at it so it wasn't like it was needed to seal the deal either..

I like Ghana, I think they're full of pace and power and mentaly strong players. They lack the edge that will take them far but I think they can get out the group stages. I think Ghana and Germany will be a good game, plus if Serbia realise a bit more of their potential those might be too.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back