PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread

another 1-1 for us; now against New Zealand and we have only 2 points

the game against SK will be crucial next thursday afternoon

till now i'm not impressed at all by our team but let's see...

Montolivo looks a real good playier imho also if i do not follows soccer so much

Lippi needs to drop Gilardino, Pepe and Marchisio (the last two of whom aren't bad players), restore Pirlo to the lineup, and get Di Natale and Quagliarella on the pitch.

It's too negative and predictable. Zambrotta was the most attack minded player in blue - and he's a full back.

Brazil 3-1 Ivory Coast

Brazil reach the last 16 after beating the Ivorians.
The main talking point was Kaka's dismissal. The I.C player Keita who was involved in the 'incident', should be thrown out of the tournament. :mad:
There was play acting on both sides tonight, but especially the Ivory Coast players.
I have to say now that I have despised the antics of E.Eboue and D.Drogba when they play in the EPL, so I don't have anything good to say about them or their team. I hope they are on the next plane home.
Nice strip though!:D

After the way the French got into the WC not enough bad things can happen to them.

What the heck is wrong with the Germans? I thought that they were better than this! Geeze they better hope that Ghana is on cruise control or else they may be on their way home early :eek:

And I don't get it...Ghana is good, yet I don't hear about them too often. They got no respect last time and they ended up playing spoiler in their group beating the US when nobody seemed to give them a shot.

Damn, can't believe I missed this but Spain and Italy are also in trouble...Spain moreso than Italy with a -1 goal differential. They need +2 goals and a win today to get into range to make it to the next round.

Italy is like the United States in terms of chances of advancing...but without a goals scored edge. Have a hard time believing they won't advance but it is scary to think that their fate rests in the hands of another team...

Damn, can't believe I missed this but Spain and Italy are also in trouble...Spain moreso than Italy with a -1 goal differential. They need +2 goals and a win today to get into range to make it to the next round.

Italy is like the United States in terms of chances of advancing...but without a goals scored edge. Have a hard time believing they won't advance but it is scary to think that their fate rests in the hands of another team...

I think Italy are in a worse place than Spain as of now, at 10pm tonight, it might be different. While Italy have played 2 games, and the remaining game is against a team playing for pride, so will likely go all out.

Whereas Spain play Honduras and Chile, no game is easy, as New Zealand have proved, but I think that Spain will batter Honduras later today, and can see of Chile, so can progress.

I predicted a 1-0 win fro Korea, as an upset! Oh how I was wrong! :eek:

Yeah, 7:0 and a boring game. The Koreans were hanging on pretty well until the second goal, then ... pfft: the air really left the balloon. The Portuguese took their goals well, though. Nice run-out for them.

Is it OK to hate the Chileans? Weak and incompetent Saudi referee being conned time and again. Not just the sending off -- later, the left winger got the fullback booked by throwing himself to the ground with no contact at all. Modern football at its worst.

Best thing to watch has been Hitzfeld. He was Mr Angry when Switzerland won. This time he's been off the scale. Unfortunately, the camera hasn't been picking him up much for some reason ...

Spaniards cruising through.

2:0 in the 60th minute. David Villa has scored a brilliant goal and missed a penalty. But I'd be shocked if it made any difference. Honduras have again been very poor. I don't think they've managed a shot on goal.

Last edited:
Spain 2-0 Honduras

A very easy win for Spain. They won't come up against opponents as weak as Honduras.
Yes, the passing from the Spanish was easy on the eye, and their movement was very clever, but let's reserve judgement on how good a team they are until they beat Chile.
A marked difference, I thought, between a Xavi midfield and a Fabregas one.
Cesc wishes he was Xavi Hernandez!
I think the coach started Navas to get crosses in, but I think Pedro is the player to have on the right wing. We'll see.
Since none of the LFC brigade on here will castigate their hero, Senor Torres, let me do it. He looks unfit and as if his mind is on something else. A move to Celtic perhaps. :D Anyway, some bad misses by Fernando which could cost them dearly in a tight match. He needs a goal.
With David Villa, Barca will be a much stronger force in Europe next season. He's the real deal.
I think it will be a fantastic game v Chile next week.

Since none of the LFC brigade on here will castigate their hero, Senor Torres, let me do it. He looks unfit and as if his mind is on something else. A move to Celtic perhaps. :D

Well, that would certainly explain it. He's having a nightmare... :singing:

Since none of the LFC brigade on here will castigate their hero, Senor Torres, let me do it. He looks unfit and as if his mind is on something else.

He did miss the last month and a bit of the season, and has only just come back to 'fitness', so is still going to be a bit rough of the pitch.

I think Italy are in a worse place than Spain as of now, at 10pm tonight, it might be different. While Italy have played 2 games, and the remaining game is against a team playing for pride, so will likely go all out.

Whereas Spain play Honduras and Chile, no game is easy, as New Zealand have proved, but I think that Spain will batter Honduras later today, and can see of Chile, so can progress.

Spain did good today with a win but still not through yet...at least they are +1 in differential.

Spain did good today with a win but still not through yet...at least they are +1 in differential.

Yeah, I still think they are in a better place than Italy, yet Spain will probably end up playing Brazil in the next round!

Spain 2-0 Honduras
Since none of the LFC brigade on here will castigate their hero, Senor Torres,

Ahem...

Torres looked rusty as hell although alot more lean.

:)

Fernando is coming off an injury hit season, me personally I'd rather Spain not play him so he's fresh for us. I doubt Torres would agree with me though.

I've had a really busy few days so I'm missing games left right and center at the mo. Seen bits of Portugal yesterday and only caught the last 30mins of Spain. The French players are talking about boycotting their game against SA :D What an embarrasesment they are to their nation, we've only got one clown in John Terry (Gerrard should have lamped him at the meeting the cheeky b@stard) but the French have got 22.

The French players are talking about boycotting their game against SA :D What an embarrasesment they are to their nation, we've only got one clown in John Terry (Gerrard should have lamped him at the meeting the cheeky b@stard) but the French have got 22.

I think there is 5 or changes to the French team. I just want them to go out, the World Cup doesn't need a team that won't even train, and will slowly destroy each other, I would rather see teams that are willing to try, yet lose.

France didn't deserve to be at the WC and certainly showed it with their play and behavior, Good Riddance.

Glad to see SA get at win at home.

Another game ruined by a ridiculous dismissal -- to go with the U.S. and Switzerland. The French clearly had talent but no organization. It was nice to see SA get a couple of goals. Now they both need to go home and get new coaches.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back