PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread

I think Franck Ribery is probrably one of the most overated players in world football. I thought Bayern missed him in the CL final purely as another option but the sayings "no end product" and "blind alleys" couldn't possibly fit any better.

Christ, no wonder they caved to Hitler. What a stinking performance that is, full of sulking incompetantcy. Somethings seriously wrong in the French camp...

France were absolutely awful, and im delighted. Such an arrogant 'team' has never existed. 23 indviduals, with actually very high talent but as a team they are terrible.

Mexico were very good, and France failing brings a smile to my face like no other team's failures can. Such a horrible personality to that team.

Mexico 2-0 La France

Delighted that Mexico won. Well deserved. Their fans were fantastic too.
At this point I'd like to say that after sitting alongside the Mexican fans v Rep.of Ireland in Florida in '94, it aint fun! :eek:

I wouldn't pick any of those French players ever again for their national team. Absolutely pathetic. A disgrace to their country. The manager as well can eff off too! What about his body language? He couldn't care less, and his team reflected this. Someone should have shown them the dvd of the workrate and teamwork of the Uruguayans last night.

Good luck to Mexico and Uruguay. I hope they stitch up the French in the last game and play out a 0-0 draw.

Last edited:
Serbia 1-0 Germany
USA 2-2 Slovenia

A big upset with the Germans getting beat. Even down to 10 men, Germany had enough chances, and a penalty, to draw even. They might even struggle to go through now if Ghana win tonight.

Yanks robbed! The clueless ref chalked off a perfectly good goal that would have given the USA a deserved victory. Great game, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jovanovic is interesting (not going to say for a free because the cost of wages and intial contract fee's basicaly equal a small transfer fee). He seems strong, direct and a player that could adapt to the Premier League. Could be a decent addition to the Liverpool squad.

Algeria 0-0 England

I'll let the English boys pick the bones of this one.
Very poor game.
The English press will slaughter the team and manager. Quite rightly so!

Absolutely dreadful, being a Wigan fan i have sit through many 90 minutes of dreadful, uninsipring football but this just about tops the lot. Despite being out best performer for the second game in a row, Heskey needs to be dropper. We need to switch to 4-5-1 with Joe Cole on the left and Gerrard playing just off Rooney. We were outpassed tonight by an extremely average Alergia side, we made them look like Spain! Lampard was useless, a shadow of his Chelsea self. Gerrard on the left? Are you kidding me? One of the most efficient "number 10's" in the world playing on the left of midfield? What was Capello thinking? No composure on the ball, no creativity. We need a drastic change in tactics otherwise we will be the worst 'big' team since France in 2002 (or 2010, judging by their even worse[is that even possible?] perforamcne than England). Rooney looks so disinterested. Did you hear what he said to the camera at tyhe final whistle? "Nice to hear your own fans booing you" What do you expect Wayne? Should they be cheering you for magnicifcent vitcoory over the mighty Algeria~? Of course not you scouse plonker, we drew 0-0. Bloody idiot. Where;s the passion? Do you guys know about 66? Get Nobby Stiles back on the case. He''ll show em how its done.

* Disclaimer. There may be some overpriced beer taking effect on the quality of this postr.

First, I can't believe the lack of execution from the English! Though, I have to admit that the Algerian defense looks like it's the real deal. They are very disciplined back there.

Second, I am fuming!! :mad:

I cannot believe that moment was robbed from us. It could have been a tremendous moment for football in America. Disgusting! Clearly not WC caliber reffing. Disgusting...

Who picked a good day to be travelling? ;)

Was waiting for the plane in Berlin while the German disaster was happening, in the air for the U.S. and didn't get in until the second half of the England game. So I'll just say one thing Capello > Terry Venables.

Jovanovic is interesting (not going to say for a free because the cost of wages and intial contract fee's basicaly equal a small transfer fee). He seems strong, direct and a player that could adapt to the Premier League. Could be a decent addition to the Liverpool squad.

I am looking forward to see him play next season :) Looks like a good player :)

And on the England game. We were painful to watch, and Wayne Rooney is the most overrated player in the world, and proved it last night. He lets everyone else do the work, and then nicks a goal!

I have to say, it's been an odd WC so far for sure. You Brits... wow. I'm sorry guys. This has to be painful...

I have to say, it's been an odd WC so far for sure. You Brits... wow. I'm sorry guys. This has to be painful...

Woah.... I think you'll find the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish are currently loving England's performance in this WC. When it comes to football, the Home nations are always big rivals.

Only if you had any expectations. Nobody should rest any hope or money on England as a national team in football. What is painfull is these players represent a nation of people with a lot more guts and fight in them to the world.

England were horrible man, no freedom, no cohesion and Rooney is being kept on a tight leash for a reason I can only describe as media pressure over his "temper". Me personally I'd love eleven Rooneys (all good at their respective position of course ;) ). Some looked very nervous, especially John Terry and Aaron Lennon was shocking. Crouch should be starting over Heskey if you must persist with the dreadfull 4-4-2 (I can't stand it, if you haven't guessed) and whats happened to Joe Cole?

England should be looking like this...

..................................Rooney...............................
Cole..............................................................Milner
.....................Lampard.............Gerrard....................
...................................Barry.................................
A. Cole........................................................Johnson
.....................Carragher............Terry.......................
..................................James..................................

You could even start Crouch, drop Milner and put Rooney in a more inside forward role. Both wingers making penetrating runs, switching positions allowing the two fullbacks space to bomb on and three excellent passers of the ball dominating the midfield in Barry (Holding), Gerrard (deeper lying playmaker) and Lampard (the more advanced playmaker). If Rooney's up front he's given a free role, both moving into channels to run at defenders and coming deep for the ball, drawing defenders and linking up with midfielders making advanced runs into space from deep.

Still, it could be worse if your French....

Last edited:
Still, it could be worse if your French....

You're not kidding. I was having a drink with a group of English-speakers (at a beach bar on top of a multi-storey car park -- I kid you not! Only in Berlin!) and a lot of folk were watching Mexico-France. There was a shout and my friend Deepak started cheering "Mexico have scored! Mexico have scored! The French are going to lose." I said, "Deepak, why are you so excited? You're Indian. What makes you hate the French?" He said "Doesn't everyone?" :)

I guess I must be the exception. I was happy when the French beat Brazil. But it's pretty pathetic that they can't play better with all of the talent they've got.

Woah.... I think you'll find the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish are currently loving England's performance in this WC. When it comes to football, the Home nations are always big rivals.

I apologize. I am an ignorant American and when I think "British" I think English. Well, that and poor teeth. But I stand corrected! I meant English! :)

Been one of the best players on show so far. Has really driven Serbia on, and you can see why he was their top scorer in qualifying.

Paraguay have been really impressive as well, can see them being this year's South Korea. They have a heck of a lot of fire-power, and are used to the high altitudes.

Can NZ hold on against the eyeties?

New Zealand 1-1 Italy

A good game to watch. Well done the Kiwi's.
Italy's qualifying chances now go down to the last game. But we all know they'll qualify. They always do!

You're not kidding. I was having a drink with a group of English-speakers (at a beach bar on top of a multi-storey car park -- I kid you not! Only in Berlin!) and a lot of folk were watching Mexico-France. There was a shout and my friend Deepak started cheering "Mexico have scored! Mexico have scored! The French are going to lose." I said, "Deepak, why are you so excited? You're Indian. What makes you hate the French?" He said "Doesn't everyone?" :)

I guess I must be the exception. I was happy when the French beat Brazil. But it's pretty pathetic that they can't play better with all of the talent they've got.

I've only spent a week in Berlin in my lifetime but I did get the impression there was mental potential there. I actualy spent most nights playing table tennis in the yard of where we were staying I think. Anelka's just got sent home too after a tiff with the boss and the players are arguing with coaches. I'm just watching Evra squaring up to the fitness coach!

Talk about falling apart....

Can NZ hold on against the eyeties?

That they did, a nation that doesn't have any proffesional leagues just held the world champions (albeit declared four years ago).

Last edited:
Now allsorts are resigning from the FFF and players are refusing to train. Proper sh!tty undie times for any coach, you've totaly lost them Domenech..

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back