PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread

I didn't see the Germany game (must have been one of the few people in Germany who didn't!) but knew what was going on from the cheering and fireworks (one explosion when the goal went in, one explosion at full time). So Sunday will be the big day. Oh, and it took me an extra half an hour to get home because the streets were closed off to allow for celebrations.

Here's a quote from Matthew Upson:

"The key to winning - forget everything else, tactics, the lot - it's about you as a human being, it's about what you are willing to commit and your attitude and we did that really well. The key is to give everything you've got, leave all your fear and inhibitions in the changing room and let go and give it a rip. Everyone's buzzing and the manager's on top of everything."

I think that's brilliant -- dead on. What's more, if any team I'm rooting for does that then, even if it doesn't work out, I don't care. They gave everything and I'm happy. So bring it on! In Fabio Capello I Trust! By far the best England manager I can ever remember.

P.S. The U.S. has shown exactly what Upson was talking about in every game. They deserve great credit and the love of all their fans.

Last edited:
New Zealand 1-1 Italy

A good game to watch. Well done the Kiwi's.
Italy's qualifying chances now go down to the last game. But we all know they'll qualify. They always do!
...or maybe not! :eek:

Half-time
Slovakia 1-0 Italy

Slovakia 3-2 Italy

Slovakia and Paraguay go into the last 16 of the tournament. Congratulations to both of them.
The Italian team needs quite a bit of surgery for the next tournament. A top quality striker is desperately needed for them.

Great result for Slovakia.

Italy have been poor over the 3 games, and didn't deserve to go through, so I am happy :)

YouTube - Fawlty Towers - Don't mention the war.mpg!

winston-churchill.jpg

England_v_Germany_51_scoreboard2_626724.jpg

hurst21.jpg

article-0-0413AC9D0000044D-245_468x366.jpg

2 World Wars and 1 World Cup. Come on England!

Last edited:
YouTube - Fawlty Towers - Don't mention the war.mpg!

winston-churchill.jpg

England_v_Germany_51_scoreboard2_626724.jpg

hurst21.jpg

article-0-0413AC9D0000044D-245_468x366.jpg

2 World Wars and 1 World Cup. Come on England!

Ahh the two rivals meeting up again...in the World Cup no less. I still think Germany has the upper hand because of their composure and momentum.

England appeared to be blowing up after the Algeria game. Keep in mind that they did beat Slovenia, but I still think they have too much pressure on them to be able to perform as well as they could. Had they won the group, I would be picking them as a favorite to be in the Final. But, as we all know, that didn't happen. So with that said.

Germany - 2
England - 0

The World Cup is getting to be like World War II. France leave early, England left fighting the Germans, and the US turn up at the last minute. Also, the Italians talk a good game, but fold when it actually matters.

Literally can not wait for Sunday.

The World Cup is getting to be like World War II. France leave early, England left fighting the Germans, and the US turn up at the last minute. Also, the Italians talk a good game, but fold when it actually matters

Words fail me. :(
England didn't fight the Germans. Britain did. That is what my father told me, and I believe him as he was in the RAF during WW2 and he was Scottish.
'And the US turned up at the last minute'! If it wasn't for them we'd be goosestepping to work each day, eating saurkraut for lunch and wearing lederhosen! :eek:

Japan 3-1 Denmark

Great win for the Japanese. They now go through with the Dutch.
I don't fancy Japan to beat Paraguay.
The Dutch should beat Slovakia.

Slovakia 3:2 Italy

What an amazing game!

I'm on record for hating the way the Italians play the game so I'm glad that they're gone. To be fair, for the first 75 minutes or so we didn't really see the mean side of the Italians. In fact, we didn't see much at all except the Italians seeming uninterested, Cannavaro being chippy and a fabulous goal by the Slovakians. And then the second goal went in and everyone thought "well, that's that!". But three more goals came in the last ten minutes and the last few minutes of overtime were nail-biting.

To be honest, if the Italians had played all the way through like they did at the end they could have won 5:0. These guys know how to play when they throw caution to the wind and rely on their skill and get forward.

But there was still the mean streak. Not just going in studs up on the goalkeeper after they scored, but worse was one long ball when the goalie came for a punch and the Italian striker went in with his arm up and leading. Ouch! In a WC where people have been sent off for waving an arm around and making accidental contact, this should have been a straight red IMHO -- you don't have your arm up and in front of you except deliberately.

It's such a shame. The Italians have talent, but, as it stands, I just want them out of the tournament. If only they could change their attitude to the game ...

I'm sorry not to have seen more than the first 20 minutes of the Japan-Denmark game. What I saw was really open, ambitious and exciting. A great game to win and no disgrace to lose?

England didn't fight the Germans. Britain did. That is what my father told me, and I believe him as he was in the RAF during WW2 and he was Scottish.
'And the US turned up at the last minute'! If it wasn't for them we'd be goosestepping to work each day, eating saurkraut for lunch and wearing lederhosen! :eek:

US intervention swung the war, however Britain held her own defiantly and not only that she went on the offensive. Alot of good, hard, solid British soldiers died defending her so she remained British until help (that was no doubt needed) arrived. This is key. Our little island was fighting hard before and after Japan made up American minds, men, women and children. Russia also had a little bit of handbags with the Gerries too...

You Scots need a bit more pride in yourselves, man. :D

Errr, yeah great finish to the Italy game. Quagliarella's goal was qualitay and that fella who felt like showing his patella off to the world and still carried on. Fantastic son.

Looking forward to sunday, I think thats the tie of the round. On paper I think England are stronger, however I think Germany are the better team with more invention. Still, our tails should be up, momentum is there but we must channel that energy into our performance correctly. Should be an interesting tie for both countries. Still, not forgetting we have Spain to come tommorow too. They could do with a win to settle things down.

A WC that started out dull has picked up a little, no....

Looking forward to sunday, I think thats the tie of the round. On paper I think England are stronger, however I think Germany are the better team with more invention. Still, our tails should be up, momentum is there but we must channel that energy into our performance correctly. Should be an interesting tie for both countries. Still, not forgetting we have Spain to come tommorow too. They could do with a win to settle things down.

A WC that started out dull has picked up a little, no....

Spain vs. the victor of Portugal-Brazil would be most people's choice. But that's two fantastic matches to look forward to.

Yes, things certainly have picked up -- as one would expect.

We've had some poor teams play poorly and go home (Honduras, pretty much all the Africans, North Korea), some talented teams play poorly and go home (Italy, France), some talented teams playing well in patches (Portugal, Spain, Germany), some not so talented teams getting to stay on by organization and commitment (S. Korea, USA and Japan), some unfashionable ones showing much more than expected (Uruguay, Chile) and a couple of really strong ones you couldn't bet against (Argentina, Brazil).

I can't see any matches in the next round that don't have the potential to be interesting and exciting.

As for England-Germany, I wouldn't mind a modest wager on the winner going all the way. I think it's going to be the Krauts, but that's only about 55-45.

Guess you're not one for a bit of light hearted footie banter ;)

Must be all that depression from finishing behind Norway eh? :singing: :D

Last edited:
Spain vs. the victor of Portugal-Brazil would be most people's choice. But that's two fantastic matches to look forward to.

If your looking for classy football yeah but I think alot will be intrigued with the massive rivalry thats England v Germany. It's a huge game and for me it dwarfs any of the others.

Guess you're not one for a bit of light hearted footie banter ;)

Must be all that depression from finishing behind Norway eh? :singing: :D

No worries banter wise! Keep them coming. :D
Looking back on my post, I do sound a bit tetchy. I didn't mean it as such.

I have to admit though, I don't get the England v Germany thing. For me, it's just another game I want England to lose in. I fully understand the importance of the Germany game to you though. I would like to wish you all the best of luck in it, but I'd be lying. :eek:
Just remember though, win or lose, the good news is that you're still a Patriot fan!!

I think that I'll let you, SP, MtB and Ccee get on with this game and I'll stay out of it. :)

I have to admit though, I don't get the England v Germany thing. For me, it's just another game I want England to lose in. I fully understand the importance of the Germany game to you though. I would like to wish you all the best of luck in it, but I'd be lying. :eek:
Just remember though, win or lose, the good news is that you're still a Patriot fan!!

I think that I'll let you, SP, MtB and Ccee get on with this game and I'll stay out of it. :)

Well obviously its in part to do with the Wars, and then beating them in '66 and them pretty much spanking us (usually on penalties) ever since, not forgetting the 5-1 game.

I think its a bigger rivalry to the English than it is to the Germans, still can't wait for it. And i understand you wanting us to lose, i've yet to meet a Scot who would support England :D

Yes, I see. So what is it you don't understand? That the Germans are our rivals or why we don't go all-out to want them to lose every game like you do us? :D

Well obviously its in part to do with the Wars, and then beating them in '66 and them pretty much spanking us (usually on penalties) ever since, not forgetting the 5-1 game.

I think its a bigger rivalry to the English than it is to the Germans, still can't wait for it. And i understand you wanting us to lose, i've yet to meet a Scot who would support England :D

Dead right.

You could say that, what with the history of the twentieth century and all, the Germans have a dozen neighbours who are itching to beat them any chance they get, so they're used to it -- no big deal.

Since our fellow-Brits can't seem to get far enough in cup competitions to play us, we have to make do with what rivalries we can. ;)

(Though I promise you, if the Krauts win on Sunday I am staying home with the duvet over my head!)

BBC News - A German view on English football

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back