PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woody Johnson Clear Cut Tampered Re: Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.
The league got a second warning. The first warning was issued in 2006. Since the taping didn't stop, the Commish issued another one in 2007.

Yeah but I don't think BB was personally and specifically warned over taping. They still lowered the boom.

Several teams have been penalized in the past for tampering. And this was a more blatant example than most others (any others). So I'm thinking we're well past the "warning the league" stage.

I agree with everything until the last sentence.

The Jets received no compensation from the Patriots for Cameragate.

Other than a rival they can't beat losing out on their 1st round pick.

If you can't make yourself stronger make your opponent weaker.

How about if the Rats just forfeit their 1st round pick?

Still, since the Pats were potentially injured by the tampering they should get something from the rodents.

Last edited:
Earlier in the thread someone had claimed that Woody admitted his guilt and apologized through his statement. I disagreed and felt the statement was a carefully crafted non-admittance. That being said I think his statement totally fails to distance himself from any tampering. My only point was that he wasn't intending to admit guilt.

OK, gotcha.
But I do think the fact that he made the statement shows he knows he is guilty and nothing in it helps his cause.

• Agree
Reactions: BSR
Yeah but I don't think BB was personally and specifically warned over taping. They still lowered the boom.

Several teams have been penalized in the past for tampering. And this was a more blatant example than most others (any others). So I'm thinking we're well past the "warning the league" stage.

Everyone in the league was warned twice. That includes Mr. William Stephen Belichick, HC of the NEP's.

Earlier in the thread someone had claimed that Woody admitted his guilt and apologized through his statement. I disagreed and felt the statement was a carefully crafted non-admittance. That being said I think his statement totally fails to distance himself from any tampering. My only point was that he wasn't intending to admit guilt.

He may not have been "intending" it in your eyes, but his admission regarding "misspoke" is a tacit admission of guilt.

Does everyone remember when the Rats tampered with Michael Crabtree when the 49ers were having trouble signing him?

They were not only not punished, they ended up getting Braylon Edwards from Cleveland and Eric Mangini at the last minute for what appeared to be a bargain price.

The Rats DO seem to be on a first name basis with tampering but are, miraculously, never punished.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

Scroll down to where it says the no-taping rules was re-emphasized.

Wrong.

That September 6 reference is to the one memo, dated September 6, 2006.

http://articles.courant.com/2007-09...ll-belichick-mangini-and-belichick-pats-coach

Teams had been warned by a memorandum sent to head coaches and general managers Sept. 6, 2006. In the letter, NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson stated, ``Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.''

This Johnson comment has had a lot of discussion here 388 or more posts. BB has spoken about it on the radio. Johnson called Kraft.
So let's agree there is something to it.

Johnson agrenda was to announce the firing of his coach and GM, that's what his press conference was about.

His hidden agenda was to deliver a message to Revis don't resign before knowing the Jets will pay you more and we are sorry we didn't offer you the deal the Pats offered but that was my stupid GMs fault. I got the money don't sign with the Pats or at less let's have a bidding war. That's Tampering in the first degree, period.

We can be sure as soon as Revis heard about the comment he called his agent or vice versa. We are in the playoffs this isn't what is supposed to happen during this time.

I am sorry this can't and shouldn't be sweep under the rug as a mis-spoken statement and I am sorry.

This was the hidden agenda.

I am pissed that the league hasn't been all over this.

Bill's exact words regarding Johnson's comment:

BB: "I would think that the league would look into those comments, along the lines of what you just said. I think that's . . . I'm sure that's something that they would look into."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/belichick-expects-nfl-look-johnsons-comments-revis

I heard it as well. He stopped short of using the word, but I think it's clear what his veiw is.

I think this is fascinating.

You have a owner in Bob Kraft, who by all accounts is one of the great owners and consensus builders in NFL history and not one to create disharmony or animosity among other NFL owners and the league's partners and sponsors.

However, he is a shrewd businessman, very competitive and fiercely loyal to family and employees that work hard and are successful. He didn't get to amassing $4B net worth by being a push-over.

I'm sure BK and BB will have a very interesting discussion about this very topic in the coming days/weeks.

Logically speaking, the precedent for punishing tampering comes from penalties for the Lions for tampering with Chiefs players on 2010 and the Niners tampering with Bears linebacker Lance Briggs in 2008.

The Lions lost a 7th rounder and swapped 5th rounders with the Chiefs.

The Niners lost a 7th rounder and swapped 3rd rounders with the Bears.

Neither was a repeat offense

Johnson was reprimanded for this before, in comments he made about DeSean Jackson.

As a repeat offender, seems like a swap of 2nd round picks with NE and losing their 6th rounder is about right. Doubt that we will see it, but that would be fair and in accord with precedent and harsher punishment for repeat offenses.

If the repeat offense aspect were (WRONGLY) ignored, a swap of 4th round picks with NE and losing their 7th rounder is due.
Why was he only reprimanded when he did this earlier this year? Was it not as egregious as what the Lions and Niners did?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

Scroll down to where it says the no-taping rules was re-emphasized.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3392047

Sept. 9, 2007: NFL security officials confiscate a camera and videotape from 26-year-old Patriots' video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals during New England's 38-14 victory in the season-opening game at Giants Stadium. Clubs had been reminded of the prohibition against taping sideline signals in a Sept. 6, 2006, directive from league headquarters: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.''

Please show this board where the memo was re-emphasized on Sept 6, 2007...exactly one year to the day later. I'll wait....

I think this is fascinating.

You have a owner in Bob Kraft, who by all accounts is one of the great owners and consensus builders in NFL history and not one to create disharmony or animosity among other NFL owners and the league's partners and sponsors.

However, he is a shrewd businessman, very competitive and fiercely loyal to family and employees that work hard and are successful. He didn't get to amassing $4B net worth by being a push-over.

I'm sure BK and BB will have a very interesting discussion about this very topic in the coming days/weeks.

I'm hoping Mr Kraft and the commish have an even more interesting discussion on this topic as soon as the season is over. :D

Something along the lines of:

RK: <ring-ring> Hi Roger, it's Bob Kraft. Even though you fined the crap out of me, and penalized my team up the wazoo for Cameragate, I've been a nice guy. I've been a key player in the labor and several other deals over the past few years. Deals that have made the league a ton of money, which has made you look good...very good And you remember when you bleeped up bigtime, I stood behind you in the whole Ray Rice fiasco."

"I'm calling in some favors. I know the Jets are your boys. But you know I hold a lot of sway with the other owners. How do you imagine it would effect your job security if I publicly withdrew my support and encouraged a few fellow owners to do the same? "

Major Speculation Alert:

I think Ratman and Lord Tannenbaum would not bring it to the league's attention without getting the OK from Sportin' Woody. Once that happened, Goody calls Woody & the rest of the Jets and asks him if he thinks his organization feels competitively compromised. Obviously they all say yes.

My point is that none/some of this happens- draft picks, $500k fines, etc w/o Woody backing his guys and giving the OK for Goody to go house on BB & the Pats.

Yep. BB blowing off the memo was the killer but the Jets pushed the envelope.

Two wrongs don't make a right but I think as an owner, Kraft needs to support his employees and do what is best for his organization. If he let this slide, I think BB and his men would have a major problem with it.

I like the thought, but I don't think it'll happen. Maybe the Pats file a grievance if they lose Revis LOL.
Tampering doesn't have to suceed to be against the rules

New statement out from Aaron Hernandez:

“I made a mistake when I killed those two people,” Hernandez said. “I would never interfere in the relationship of a person with his life and should not have used that gun. I called Robert Goodell this afternoon to emphasize those points.”

Think Goodell will let him return to the NFL now that he has been suitably contrite?

He may not have been "intending" it in your eyes, but his admission regarding "misspoke" is a tacit admission of guilt.

I agree. If he truly believed he did nothing wrong then he would have just ignored it. He is trying to deflect, although I think in vain.

Please show this board where the memo was re-emphasized on Sept 6, 2007...exactly one year to the day later. I'll wait....

You will be waiting forever.

1) There was one memo, September 6, 2006.
2) There were no follow-ups.
3) The memo did not discuss anything from the NFL rulebook, but rather it expanded on a relatively minor point in the NFL field operations guide, a booklet that discuses hot topics like how often to cut and water the grass on a natural turf field, how to properly inflate footballs, and what locations cameras are allowed to be placed

So, if there's been a precedence previously set, (Lions/Chiefs 2011), then I don't see any real difference except the Patriots have yet to file a grievence. If they do the penalty should be even more significant. Why? Here's why:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/2/18/2001402/lions-tampering-chiefs-draft-picks

According to this story, Gunther Cunningham, former Chief and the Lions DC made these remarks:

"(Kansas City) keeps wanting to dump their players. I would like to be there to catch a lot of them because I know a couple of those guys."

Even with the Lions counter-charge involving former Chief Jarred Page and his agent, the Lions still got docked a 7th and had to swap 5ths for these remarks. (PS-Page never played for the Lions post-incident anyway).

Now this case involves an OWNER. A man who had previously been the one who wrote his former employee his paychecks and would be the one who has the ultimate decision to make his former employee who is employed by another team a financial offer.

Gunther Cunningham had no authority to make any formal offers to any players his former employer may have been considering parting ways with. Is this not significantly a higher form of tampering as it was perpetrated at the highest level of an orginization?

Something to chew on there for anyone who thinks this should be swept under the rug. If consistency is what the league office strives for, this is a blatent reversal of thier former rulings. Just voicing interest in unnamed former players was considered enough of an impropriety to dock draft picks. Fine? What fine?

Now we have an OWNER naming a SPECIFIC player he would be interested in. Precedence? Consistency?

We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back