PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winning 3x Against the Same Opponent in the Same Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting indeed! I would think it would be in the favor of the 2x loser in the 3rd matchup, but I guess other factors including home field may have something to do with it.

Last edited:
Interesting. If you beat a team twice in the same season, it probably means you're better than them, so this isn't a surprise in that sense.

Then again, 7-12 is a much higher winning percentage for the losing teams than 0-whatever.

The Jets have to be feeling awfully confident about facing the Pats again this season considering the mental advantage they have from last year and how the Pats D has performed the past few weeks.

The Jets have to be feeling awfully confident about facing the Pats again this season considering the mental advantage they have from last year and how the Pats D has performed the past few weeks.

Is that how they're spinning it over on your team's message boards? Good for you guys.

Frankly, I think the Patriots would be feeling a lot more confident if a 3rd game against the Jets happened this season. You know, after having crushed them twice this year, as opposed to having to reach back to last season for some perceived advantage.

What are the odds against them losing to us at the very minimum 1 centuries worth of games?

Just thinking about up and coming generations;)

I'm a bit surprised by that stat; it seems that I have often heard how difficult it is to beat the same team three times in a season.

Although you can make the argument that the team that won the first two games is the superior team, you could also consider that the two should be somewhat close in talent, since they are both good enough to be in the playoffs. For example, Baltimore or Pittsburgh beating each other three times is not the same as one of those two beating the Browns three times if they were scheduled to play each other that many times.

Pats probably win a third game, I'll give you that.

That being said there is nothing they want more than a trip to Foxboro in January. They welcomed it last year after 45-3, and will be pumped for a chance this year.

Apparently since 1970 there have been 19 instances where a team had a chance to do this. Their combined record is 12-7 as of 2008.

The funny thing is the Cowboys show up twice, as two losses, so taking them out, the record is 12-5.

Apparently, It's Not Uncommon for Teams to Beat Opponents Three Times in One Season

Just found it interesting.
Couldn't you just as easily say in the 19 instances where a team had an opportunity to lose 3X to the same team in one season, their record is 7-12, and that it's not uncommon for teams to lose to opponents three times in one season?

Somebody had to lose those games, too.

(Edit: I see the article quoted was talking about teams having the chance to complete a sweep, which is a valid point.)

That being said there is nothing they want more than a trip to Foxboro in January. They welcomed it last year after 45-3, and will be pumped for a chance this year.

Really? I would think they'd prefer to play the Patriots at home, not on the road.

I think right now, the Jets just want to get into the playoffs, any way they can.

Interesting indeed! I would think it would be in the favor of the 2x loser in the 3rd matchup, but I guess other factors including home field may have something to do with it.

I would think that probably the 2x winner would have a matchup advantage over the 2x loser, and would also be a better team (or else they would likely not be 2x winners in that season series). Moreover, you're right....probably (though not always obviously) the 2x winner would have the home-field advantage in that playoff matchup as well.

I'm not anxious to face the Jests again (these teams know each other so well that every game is a dogfight). But if the Pats and Jets DO meet again this year, I'm pretty sure last year's debacle will be a huge motivating factor for the Pats. You can't look past anyone in the NFL, and I think that's what happened last year after 45-3.

If that's true, they're morons just like their fan base.

... there is nothing they want more than a trip to Foxboro in January. They welcomed it last year after 45-3, and will be pumped for a chance this year.

Pumped? With what? More hot air, or goddamn snacks?

Last edited:
Looking at where we stand if the playoffs would start now, I can't help but wonder if we're better off...

The two teams that scare me the most are the Ravens and Steelers and the longer we avoid them, the better. I think we match up reasonably well against the Ravens however the longer we can avoid them, the better!

We'd face the Jets and Texans right now as things stand, and I wold settle for that even if it meant having to play in the wildcard round. We match up the best against these two teams, whose strengths on offense play into our strengths on defense. Let them 'ground and pound' the ball...I have faith we can do enough on defense to hold back Sanchez and Yates.

Worst case scenario is we then play the Ravens at their place. If we face the Steelers, we'd be at home and I am confident that although we got torched by them at their place in terms of yardage, home field would serve us well.

I also think the bye can be overrated...especially if you go into the playoffs with even the smallest bit of momentum! Although given how banged up we seem to be, a week off might not be too bad!

Last edited:
The Rats don't have any mental advantage from last year...THAT is all in your mind...the Pats beat the Rats at the same scheme they used in the playoffs, Wrecksie's idiotic "amoeba" defense...they overcame it and THEN, in NJ they DESTROYED it...bringing up last season is the mark of a scared little girl.He's fresh out of new defenses to dream up out of his Christmas stocking....maybe he'll invent the "toe" defense where he has all his D players stick their feet up his a......uh....well...YOU figure it out

Last edited:

I can see them now, "Yeah, they kicked our arses twice this year and we don't have an answer to stop Gronkowski. We got the Pats right where we want them."

Unless the Jets beat the Giants, they will go into the playoffs without beating a team with a winning record since week one. They haven't put together a complete game this year except to the Chiefs and Jaguars. They really don't have much of a mental advantage.

The thing is people forget that the Pats dominated the first quarter of the playoff game last year and the Jets were flat out of the gate. It was several mental errors by the Pats (Brady's stupid pick which was a pass right to Harris, Crumpler dropping an easy TD pass in the end zone, and the failed fake punt) that allowed the Jets to regroup and gain momentum. The Pats don't make those mistakes and it could have been a completely different ball game.

If the Jets come to Foxboro in January this season like they did last January and the Pats don't fail to seize on their opportunities early like last year, the Pats could win this game decisively again.

Couldn't you just as easily say in the 19 instances where a team had an opportunity to lose 3X to the same team in one season, their record is 7-12, and that it's not uncommon for teams to lose to opponents three times in one season?

(Edit: I see the article quoted was talking about teams having the chance to complete a sweep, which is a valid point.)
Do you intend on taking the corresponding position in every thread you're involved with or is it a December phenomenon?

Last edited:

Considering the general perception is teams rarely sweep an opponent three times in one season, I think it these stats have some validity. The team that won the first two match ups have won 63.2% of the time between 1970 and 2008. Most people probably think that the percentage is heavily favored in the other direction.

Wait, are you serious? Did you really think it would be in favor of the 2x loser, or was that just sarcasm?

Usually a team defeats an opponent both times in the regular season because they are the BETTER TEAM. As the better team, they should be EXPECTED (not lucky) to win the third game.

I hate it when announcers say..."it's tough to beat a team three times in one season". Yes, it is. I agree. IF you knew the Pats would play a team three times in one season and you had to predict the the liklihood of a Pats sweep, you may say about 75% (arbitrary number). But, if that changes to....what are the Pats chances of a three games sweep GIVEN that they have already won the first two, well, now you are talking about a much greater percentage. The two scenarios are drastically different but most analysts fail to realize this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents