PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winners: Mayo, Crable, Wheatley, Jordan & O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
everyone seems down about last night, but im very excited that our draft looks so good right now.

Last edited:
I'd be higher on Woods had his "terrific night" not occurred late in the game against some guys who will be working at Home Depot in September. He also played most of the 1st half and was not spectacular against NFL starters and 2nd team backups. That aside, it was a positive, encouraging game. Let's hope he can develop his physical talents further as a football player.

Woods was showing up all over the place in the 1st half. The announcers were concentratring so much on Mayo (and quite rightly), but Woods made two great plays on Baltimore's 1st drive (one to get the tackle himself, and one to create a play for someone else).

Personally, I think he was the best player on the field last night for the Patriots.

Woods was showing up all over the place in the 1st half. The announcers were concentratring so much on Mayo (and quite rightly), but Woods made two great plays on Baltimore's 1st drive (one to get the tackle himself, and one to create a play for someone else).

Personally, I think he was the best player on the field last night for the Patriots.

That's what I saw too. Woods played great in the first half. He was the guy who stripped the ball on a sack, then recovered his own fumble. He also seemed pretty sure tackling and decent setting the edge (didn't see any runs outside all night as a matter of fact).

I'm encouraged because having two guys outside in Woods and Crable that look like they can chip in, means we have some flexibility if we need to move Vrabel or Thomas to the inside for a game or two (emergencies or situational plays, not permanently).

I bought two tickets to the game from a season ticket holder.

My impressions of the game were as follows:

1. The backup quarterback controversy is over. Both Cassel
and Gutierrez are lousy. Cut both of them and sign a veteran.
Pennington?

2. Even if Brady sits out the entire pre-season, he cannot be
permitted to play behind the current offensive line. He will be
injured right off the bat and the season will go down the tubes.

3. As another poster mentioned the Chad Jackson saga is coming
to an end. Forget the idea of a grand awakening. After three years,
Chad doesn't know the plays.

4. How did C.J. Jones make our 80 man roster? He should be cut
this morning.

5. As bad as the offense played, the special teams played worse
defending kickoffs and punts. The highlight occurred when Guyton
ran down and tackled the return man on the two yard line. Good hustle.

5. The defense played pretty good. They started the game by allowing
a long drive for the field goal but then got better.

6. O'Connell shows promise for the future. Good athlete.

7. Jordan is a good hard runner. He provided most of the offense.

8. Our 2008 draftees looked good especially Mayo and Crable. Mayo
should start and Crable see action as a pass rusher.

9. Lots of room for improvement. Time for BB/Pioli to do a little
pruning and make a few improvements.

Last edited:
For those of you who watched the game - how did Wheatley do? Any early evaluation would be appreciated.

For those of you who watched the game - how did Wheatley do? Any early evaluation would be appreciated.

Wheatley was solid, I only saw him get beat on one crossing pattern and even that, he was right there with his man. His speed is incredible. Terrence is going to be a player.

Speaking of a player. Jerod Mayo, must have opened Ray Lewis's eyes last night. Because he's looking at his twin. The impact this kid is going to have on our defense is going to be unbelievable. He's a caged Tiger. Great read and react linebacker who can shed blocks, run down sweeps and penetrate gaps to blow up RB's. What a stud. All these idiots who said we reached for Jerod with the 10th pick should quit their draft jobs now.

He started and did nothing to stand out good or bad. He lead the team with four tackles.

Wheatley was solid, I only saw him get beat on one crossing pattern and even that, he was right there with his man. His speed is incredible. Terrence is going to be a player.

Speaking of a player. Jerod Mayo, must have opened Ray Lewis's eyes last night. Because he's looking at his twin. The impact this kid is going to have on our defense is going to be unbelievable. He's a caged Tiger. Great read and react linebacker who can shed blocks, run down sweeps and penetrate gaps to blow up RB's. What a stud. All these idiots who said we reached for Jerod with the 10th pick should quit their draft jobs now.

Ed Reed was also looking at his twin. Brandon Meriweather is filthy.

That's what I saw too. Woods played great in the first half. He was the guy who stripped the ball on a sack, then recovered his own fumble. He also seemed pretty sure tackling and decent setting the edge (didn't see any runs outside all night as a matter of fact).

I'm encouraged because having two guys outside in Woods and Crable that look like they can chip in, means we have some flexibility if we need to move Vrabel or Thomas to the inside for a game or two (emergencies or situational plays, not permanently).

You're right about the Woods play. I got my half confused.

It will be close, but I don't think Izzo is cut. He didn't play last night and ST looked horrible.

I was going to bring that up. Had Izzo been in there, would anyone be making a big deal of Figurs' 54-yard return? Maybe his presence is needed in there.

Ed Reed was also looking at his twin. Brandon Meriweather is filthy.

I noticed that too - he absolutely stonewalled the RB on one play - it was either a screen or a swing pass but but either way Meriweather read it and had him wrapped up right at the LOS

I was going to bring that up. Had Izzo been in there, would anyone be making a big deal of Figurs' 54-yard return? Maybe his presence is needed in there.

As has been said, Izzo was playing on special teams last night. His presence didn't magically prevent the Ravens from getting good returns and if by some amazing feat they were able to get another Larry Izzo out there, they probably would have gotten gashed on those returns as well.

Larry Izzo does not make the special teams "go."

P.S. I don't hate Larry Izzo as some probably think, I just don't think he's the Superman of Special Teams that he has the reputation of being.

I remember that play. IIRC, he was slow in anticipating the break and then recovered and by the time the ball arrived he was right there, reaching in for it, a fraction late for the pass deflection. Great recovery speed. Once he gets to the point where the game begins to slow down for him, he'll be a terror.

One preseason game does not a player make. However the signs are encouraging. The Pats are so deep with linebacker talent right now it's ridiculous. Whoever they cut will make some other team's 53.

KO showed the athleticism that I got excited about when they first announced we drafted him in round 3. Cutting loose the dead wood and signing a vet backup might be the way to go. However noodlearm is off the market. The Fins signed him.

Oh and the score to a preseason game is completely irrelevant. Pats were playing their 2nd and 3rd stringers to see what they can do. Let's just hope for more progress from the rookies as they get used to game speed and the Pats system.

I'd be higher on Woods had his "terrific night" not occurred late in the game against some guys who will be working at Home Depot in September. He also played most of the 1st half and was not spectacular against NFL starters and 2nd team backups. That aside, it was a positive, encouraging game. Let's hope he can develop his physical talents further as a football player.

I disagree, he looked good from the get go, on the first and second Ravens drives. He stopped a Rice sweep, the second play of the game, and it was his rush that forced the early swing pass that ended the Ravens drive and a FG attempt. Off his play, I understand why Bill has been so high on him. In both cases, Mayo cleaned up but it was Woods play that disrupted both plays.

I was appalled with the QBs Thursday. After I looked at the tape, I felt much better. When Cassel and Gutierrez get to play with real receivers, if they stink up the joint, then I would be worried.

The first two by and large stayed in the pocket and threw like a QB should. When they let the rookie in, they let him run around. Something that as a mature QB, he won't be doing.

As it was, their receiving crew was CJax, CJ Jones, and Ventrone. Hardly what I would call a major league receiving crew, or even a single legitimate target. Plus the running game wasn't doing much, nor the protection very good, until the third stringers were in and Jordan was carrying.

You've seen one pre-season game! I do agree that the linebackers are looking good. However, I still want to see Hobson produce and I would like to see us add Seau to share time with Bruschi.

Let's look the projected cuts and see who you think will be picked up by others. We usually have 9-10 on the roster. Guyton, Redd and Ruud are unlikely to be on anyone's 53. All may make practice squads. Even Alexander and Izzo might not play elsewhere if they don't play for us.

OUR LIKELY NINE (Seau could be added)
OLB: Vrabel, Thomas, Woods, Crabel
ILB: Bruschi, Mayo, Hobson, Alexander, Izzo

cut: Guyton, Redd, Ruud

One preseason game does not a player make. However the signs are encouraging. The Pats are so deep with linebacker talent right now it's ridiculous. Whoever they cut will make some other team's 53.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes