PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilson, Bequette, Boyce, and Finch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure getting the most snaps with the first team defines a marginal player.
I believe that Devey has gotten more reps than all of the backups. Is he not a marginal player?

In any case, I have jumped on the bandwagon. I now have 5 safeties, including Wilson, Chung and Ebner. Cole and Fletcher are gone. We need the special teams help.

Something is wrong with reiss' analysis
He has 99 snaps at corner and 167 at safety on 62 plays.
That would mean we used 1 corner and 3 safeties at least 25 times.
Reiss does not divide Ryan and Arrington, as he should. He simply sliest them as one position of or the other.

Reiss does not divide Ryan and Arrington, as he should. He simply sliest them as one position of or the other.
Which totally invalidates his numbers in determining whether these guys played much safety or not.
Not counting Arrington or Ryan he has 120 snaps in 62 plays for safeties, and some plays were goalline that may not have included 2 safeties.

I believe that Devey has gotten more reps than all of the backups. Is he not a marginal player?

In any case, I have jumped on the bandwagon. I now have 5 safeties, including Wilson, Chung and Ebner. Cole and Fletcher are gone. We need the special teams help.
Apparently, not but there is a difference between playing with the 1s due to a starter being held out or due to injuries and looking like you have the inside track to start.
Who do you expect to start next to McCourty?

As with RG, I haven't a clue.
My guess at this point is that Harmon is ahead of Wilson, but not insurmountably to start at safety, and Kline is going to be playing RG.

My guess at this point is that Harmon is ahead of Wilson, but not insurmountably to start at safety, and Kline is going to be playing RG.
with Wendell as the Game Day backup center and guard? and presumably with Cannon as the Game Day swing OT? and Stork inactive?

with Wendell as the Game Day backup center and guard? and presumably with Cannon as the Game Day swing OT? and Stork inactive?
Yes, yes, and I don't see Stork on the 53. He has barely even seen the practice field. PS or IR depending on the severity of the injury.

I think that Wendell and Cannon as game day reserves with Connolly at C is a very flexible unit.
Cannon can backup 4 positons. Wendell would back up C but really also G because Connolly could shift over.
When your started is versatile your backup doesn't necessarily have to be.

Just my take, as of now*, based upon play, level of play, and external hints/cues as I read them:

Bequette - Gone
Boyce - Gone, unless Tyms' suspension saves an extra spot for 4 more weeks
Finch - still an open question, IMO, about the bottom 4 RBs
Wilson - Still locked in a 3-way contest with Chung and Ebner, and CBs playing S could eliminate an extra S, as well

Could all change in 20 minutes, given that this is the transition week in Exhibition season

I think that Wendell and Cannon as game day reserves with Connolly at C is a very flexible unit.
Cannon can backup 4 positons. Wendell would back up C but really also G because Connolly could shift over.
When your started is versatile your backup doesn't necessarily have to be.
So, we have the same 7 top linemen as last year, with Kline moving up the depth chart and Wendell down. Everyone (other than some posters) thought that we had a pretty good OL last year. Moving Connolly to center should strengthen the line.

So, dante's last year at the Academy was a success. He graduated Kline to starter, and Devey from the Practice Squad to the 53 man squad.

How should we feel that none of the draftees may make the team? I guess 6th rounders are for the Practice Squad competition, and they will likely end up there. The waste, and open question, is Stork. Sadly, injuries happen.

Why cannon at rg? Has he even been taking snaps there?
I am going with the best 5 OL on the field at once, in my opinion that is without question Solder, Mankins, Vollmer, Cannon and Connolly. Cannon has seen reps in practice at RG. I do not think he will play their exclusively I think they will use a lot of unbalanced line as they showed last night.

How is halapio earning a spot. Same with stork who has missed something like 15 straight practices.

Neither have done much I agree, I think it is very unlikely that the team would cut the third pick in the fourth round which is what Stork was. Halapio could end up missing the cut and a player like Devey or Wendell could make it instead.

Why would Chris jones go to ir with a twisted ankle?

What it comes down to for me is whether or not Jones is going to be ready week 1 and if he is not going to be ready until say week 4 or 5 is he really the type of player you keep on your roster and use a spot for, or do you send him to injured reserve and call it a season. They could designate him to return.

I think the third TE is needed. Are you thinking they use an OL? I'm thinking Maneri allows them to keep 8 OL but using a backup OL as 3rd TE would do the same.

I think a third TE is needed as well, I just do not think the TE is on the roster, I think they will add 1 or maybe 2 from other teams when roster cuts go down.

Mallet isn't injured how do you put him on ir?

I have a feeling that Mallett is going to end up having knee surgery, I think he is gutting it out right now but the knee is a lot worse than they are letting on.

I'd lose Boyce (disappointingly or a DB since you have 11 and 2 more on ps) and keep MAllett. Jimmy g has looked good but I don't think he is ready to be the only QB on the team if Brady is out 2-3 weeks.

If I am wrong about Mallett’s knee I would agree with what you said here, I think Garopollo has been impressive as well, although I am not as high on him as a lot of posters are right now.

Last edited:
Sure Cannon would be best option week 1 or 2 - But if a tackle were injured in lets say week 12, the story might be otherwise?

I am going with the best 5 OL on the field at once, in my opinion that is without question Solder, Mankins, Vollmer, Cannon and Connolly. Cannon has seen reps in practice at RG. I do not think he will play their exclusively I think they will use a lot of unbalanced line as they showed last night.

Neither have done much I agree, I think it is very unlikely that the team would cut the third pick in the fourth round which is what Stork was. Halapio could end up missing the cut and a player like Devey or Wendell could make it instead.

What it comes down to for me is whether or not Jones is going to be ready week 1 and if he is not going to be ready until say week 4 or 5 is he really the type of player you keep on your roster and use a spot for, or do you send him to injured reserve and call it a season. They could designate him to return.

I think a third TE is needed as well, I just do not think the TE is on the roster, I think they will add 1 or maybe 2 from other teams when roster cuts go down.

I have a feeling that Mallett is going to end up having knee surgery, I think he is gutting it out right now but the knee is a lot worse than they are letting on.

If I am wrong about Mallett’s knee I would agree with what you said here, I think Garopollo has been impressive as well, although I am not as high on him as a lot of posters are right now.

What would you do with Stork if he cant even practice?
There is no indication Jones has the type of injury that would keep him out 2-3 months. Its been a week, and it looked pretty clearly like a twisted ankle.
Why would the team put Mallet on IR and pay him for nothing when his contract will be up?
He didn't look like he had any knee issue last night. You seem to be hoping against logic here.

I don't think BB sees Cannon as a G execpt in emergencies. Hard to believe he intends to start him there and won't put him there in a game.
I'm not sure he is one of the best 5 OL if he is playing G. He is a better T than our second best G is a G, but I don't think he is a better G.

What would you do with Stork if he cant even practice?
There is no indication Jones has the type of injury that would keep him out 2-3 months. Its been a week, and it looked pretty clearly like a twisted ankle.
Why would the team put Mallet on IR and pay him for nothing when his contract will be up?
He didn't look like he had any knee issue last night. You seem to be hoping against logic here.

I don't think BB sees Cannon as a G execpt in emergencies. Hard to believe he intends to start him there and won't put him there in a game.
I'm not sure he is one of the best 5 OL if he is playing G. He is a better T than our second best G is a G, but I don't think he is a better G.
Stork returned to practice this week doing conditioning drills, etc. Otherwise I would IR him. When you are building a team you have to look past the best 53 for 2014, you have to have players that are going to fill future needs and you have to protect them from waivers.

Mallett could sign elsewhere and return a compensatory pick, or they could sign and trade him, I would not just put him on the market for anyone to claim for free, he does have starter potential.

I think he will start Cannon there no problem, I think he is just giving players like Devey reps because he wants to see what he has in them. Why would you start and UDFA like Kline or Devey when you have a player like Cannon who started 8 games at RT for you last season and played very well, grading out in the top ten of all RTs in the NFL. The transition inside is not a hard one, Mankins, Connolly, and many others all entered the NFL as college OTs and made the switch without issue.

If Cannon is to be our starting RG, why isn't he getting more reps at RG? Surely, he needs the additional reps.

Stork returned to practice this week doing conditioning drills, etc. Otherwise I would IR him. When you are building a team you have to look past the best 53 for 2014, you have to have players that are going to fill future needs and you have to protect them from waivers.

Mallett could sign elsewhere and return a compensatory pick, or they could sign and trade him, I would not just put him on the market for anyone to claim for free, he does have starter potential.

I think he will start Cannon there no problem, I think he is just giving players like Devey reps because he wants to see what he has in them. Why would you start and UDFA like Kline or Devey when you have a player like Cannon who started 8 games at RT for you last season and played very well, grading out in the top ten of all RTs in the NFL. The transition inside is not a hard one, Mankins, Connolly, and many others all entered the NFL as college OTs and made the switch without issue.

So, we have the same 7 top linemen as last year, with Kline moving up the depth chart and Wendell down. Everyone (other than some posters) thought that we had a pretty good OL last year. Moving Connolly to center should strengthen the line.

So, dante's last year at the Academy was a success. He graduated Kline to starter, and Devey from the Practice Squad to the 53 man squad.

How should we feel that none of the draftees may make the team? I guess 6th rounders are for the Practice Squad competition, and they will likely end up there. The waste, and open question, is Stork. Sadly, injuries happen.

Don't oversell Kline or Devey, and Stork's making the team. Just my impressions so far.

Belichick has never given up on a 4th rounder so quickly.

I am fine with 4 starters and 3 backups. I just don't know who is starting at RG. I think that Kline is good enough to be one the Game Day backups if he doesn't start. Do you disagree?

I don't see Devey or any of the rookies as being among the top 7 and active for Game One. Perhaps Devey could move ahead of Kline.

So, for me, even if I have over-rated Kline a bit, he seems good enough to make the 53.

BEFORE THE ROOKIES
Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Vollmer, Cannon, Wendell, Kline (or Devey)

WANTS AND CHOICES
The above is all we "need". We have our active players, which is includes backups at all positions.

1) We would like to have an emergency 4th OT, given the injury histories, the fact that Cannon is in his contract year, and given that the OT's may need to get reps at TE). FLEMING is the man. Manieri is an option for hybrid TE/OT.

2) We would like to have an additional backup interior lineman with position flexibility. DEVEY seems to fit the bill.

3) We have drafted a potential future starting center. It might be a good idea to develop him with no chance of someone else snapping him up during the season. STORK is the player.
========================

CONCLUSIONS

A) Hilapio is the odd man out. He is not the top player for any of the above roles.

B) It seems that we can keep 3 of Kline, Fleming, Devey, Manieri, Stork, and Hilapio.

I have changed my mind several times in the last 24 hours. As of 5 PM, I would keep Kline, Devey and Stork. I think that we are OK with either Mankins and Devey as our emergency 4th OT.

Don't oversell Kline or Devey, and Stork's making the team. Just my impressions so far.

I think we can write:

Solder
Vollmer
Mankins

In as absolute locks, or at least about as close as you can get without being on the Brady/Revis level.

I think we can put Cannon in as a near-lock.

To me, that leaves competition for 4-6 spots, with an emphasis on the IOL, and also with Cannon as the wildcard who seems to range (in the minds of posters/reporters) from potential starting RG to 4 position backup. Guys who's 'proven' that they can play center:

Connolly
Wendell
Stork

The significance here is that cutting either veteran would mean that Stork, college-proven but not NFL-proven, would really have to step it up in a hurry. Additionally, cutting Connolly would also undercut the versatility situation. On the other hand, Mankins reported ability to play center, if necessary, is something that BB might take into account. I look at Wendell's struggles last year as a major factor in weighing all of this.

Belichick asserted that Mankins could play any of the five positions on offensive line (and Mankins said Wednesday that he has been the team’s backup center in injury situations), unlike other players.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ensive-line/3Ubs5l9rA9OOm8OOioNLuM/story.html

So, it seems to me that BB's take on the center position is crucial here, because it impacts Connolly's ability to make the team.

Solder
Mankins
Vollmer
Cannon
Stork
Fleming
Connolly/Wendell (Likely Connolly, IMO)

seems a pretty likely '7' to start with, when I combine past veteran play and past history with 4th round draft picks.

Devey
Kline
Hilapio
Wendell/Connolly (Likely Wendell, IMO)

Would seem to be '4' players vying for 2 spots, unless Cannon isn't as secure as most of us seem to think. Of course, just when we think we've got BB's thought process pretty well mapped, he adds a new wrinkle but, playing the odds, the above breakdown makes the most sense to me, as of this minute.

Is there a strong case for any of these making the 53 man squad?

WILSON
I think that Ebner is a better special teamer than any of the other safeties. I think that Chung may be almost a lock as the 3rd safety, understanding that one of the corners might play safety. So, McCourty, Harmon, Chung and a corner may be all we need to play the position.
It's a question whether the New England Patriots retain five safeties (McCourty, Chung, Wilson, Harmon, Ebner) or four.

BEQUETTE
I just don't see how he makes the 53.
Bequette has proven to be useless.

BOYCE
I just don't think that he can beat out LaFell or Thompkins. As long as Dobson is healthy enough to be expected to play sometime in the first few games, I see no reason for carrying Boyce. Tyms would be available as an emergency addition after Game 4, if we really need another player.
Boyce is playing his way off the 53 man roster.

FINCH
For me, Finch would need to beat out Bolden. I don't see that happening.
Finch or Gray to the practice squad.

There is still time, but I think the window is closing on these four.
I would cut Will Smith and Jake Bequette now. Why waste anymore time?

I think the same is true with regard to Thomas, Gallon, and Swanson.
At this moment in time, Gallon and Thomas are at best practice squad material.

Who is your Game One backup at center?

I think we can write:

Solder
Vollmer
Mankins

In as absolute locks, or at least about as close as you can get without being on the Brady/Revis level.

I think we can put Cannon in as a near-lock.

To me, that leaves competition for 4-6 spots, with an emphasis on the IOL, and also with Cannon as the wildcard who seems to range (in the minds of posters/reporters) from potential starting RG to 4 position backup. Guys who's 'proven' that they can play center:

Connolly
Wendell
Stork

The significance here is that cutting either veteran would mean that Stork, college-proven but not NFL-proven, would really have to step it up in a hurry. Additionally, cutting Connolly would also undercut the versatility situation. On the other hand, Mankins reported ability to play center, if necessary, is something that BB might take into account. I look at Wendell's struggles last year as a major factor in weighing all of this.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ensive-line/3Ubs5l9rA9OOm8OOioNLuM/story.html

So, it seems to me that BB's take on the center position is crucial here, because it impacts Connolly's ability to make the team.

Solder
Mankins
Vollmer
Cannon
Stork
Fleming
Connolly/Wendell (Likely Connolly, IMO)

seems a pretty likely '7' to start with, when I combine past veteran play and past history with 4th round draft picks.

Devey
Kline
Hilapio
Wendell/Connolly (Likely Wendell, IMO)

Would seem to be '4' players vying for 2 spots, unless Cannon isn't as secure as most of us seem to think. Of course, just when we think we've got BB's thought process pretty well mapped, he adds a new wrinkle but, playing the odds, the above breakdown makes the most sense to me, as of this minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News