PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will this defense rank?

• Top 5.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • Top 10.

Votes: 88 51.8%
  • 10-20

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • 21-32

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters
I dont think you can just arbitrarily throw out stats though. While I get this "GT" theory and believe it has some merit, the Patriots D is getting credit there for something that is not of their doing.

I am just trying to learn the real science here. So I would appreciate some help really trying to get the true data :)

If someone was on another fans message board and trying to show their D was better than the Patriots, wouldn't the first thing they say is that the Pats has the advantage of playing offenses that are taking many more risks?

Or maybe this is more black and white and I am overthinking it?

Truth is, whether they are the no1,2,8 or 32nd ranked defense is actually irrelevant, the result of the game is the only thing that matters. However, there is empirical data that shows that when the outcome of a game is in question, the Pats D performs better than when the game is no longer in question. I'm sure the offence is a part of that, as is special teams (field position), but the data is still there.

Truth is, whether they are the no1,2,8 or 32nd ranked defense is actually irrelevant, the result of the game is the only thing that matters. However, there is empirical data that shows that when the outcome of a game is in question, the Pats D performs better than when the game is no longer in question. I'm sure the offence is a part of that, as is special teams (field position), but the data is still there.

Yeah, its all about wins. Dont care much for the best this or that. And this is truly a perfect example of complimentary football. The Offfense is making it easier for the D by clearly putting other teams in a hole.

Anyway, good to see SOME posters digging into some real thought and science about all this (above and beyond the one GT metric) and realizing there is a lot more to this than one simple metric.

Anyway, good to see SOME posters digging into some real thought and science about all this (above and beyond the one GT metric) and realizing there is a lot more to this than one simple metric.

Yeah, well at this point we're trying to embarrass the OP for assuming that our defense would come up short in statistical categories, which isn't the case at all! :D

That's one reason why this thread keeps getting "bumped" every time a new metric comes up

@Interception Here's another way to approach this....

"New England averages a 10-point lead at halftime. So the first-half numbers -- when it’s still a ballgame -- matter and in the first two quarters, the Patriots rank fifth in points allowed, fourth in yards per play, eighth in yards per carry allowed and fourth in total yards. They’re not infallible by any means, but they are very good."

Weird, I thought the patriots were doing better in the second half than the first half of games. That's interesting.

But are you saying a 1o-point lead means it's not a ballgame anymore?

Yeah, well at this point we're trying to embarrass the OP for assuming that our defense would come up short in statistical categories, which isn't the case at all! :D

That's one reason why this thread keeps getting "bumped" every time a new metric comes up

And when this D falls flat, this thread will be ignored... just like the negative stats that get posted.
Anyone who trusts this secondary against an elite QB is kidding themselves. We are lucky that every elite QB in the league is playing like **** this year.

And when this D falls flat, this thread will be ignored... just like the negative stats that get posted.
Anyone who trusts this secondary against an elite QB is kidding themselves. We are lucky that every elite QB in the league is playing like **** this year.

That would be news to Tom Brady.

You know, here's an idea: have your defense practice against the elite QB who is not playing like ****. :cool:

I've done it, multiples times, already. The Jets game alone is enough to demonstrate the idiocy of the argument.

Deus, how? That win probability wasn't until the final 60 seconds as noted. Explain or provide links to your posts or evidence please

This secondary plays against the GOAT every week

Look, ultimately your prediction may be proven to be correct. Maybe they come in at #11, #13, or #14. Either way, it would be better than anyone expected, and thus far--they've proven themselves to be quite formidable as an overall unit.

The CB concerns are definitely warranted and shared by many, no matter what they say. The hope is that the unit itself will compliment each other and prove to hold the opposition in check enough to where we can give up something around 20-23 points.

This thread has been an exercise in goal post shifting. First they weren't going to be top 10 overall, then it was an average of several stats, then it was cherry picked stats and now you are saying a single bad game at any point is enough to crow about?

You must think last year's secondary totally blew then, right? I mean, they gave up 31 points to the Ravens and then 24 to a scuffling Seahawk offense. If only they were like that dominant 2011 squad. They didn't allow more than 20 points in a single playoff game!

@dougkyed: Patriots are allowing 4.91 yards per play in Quarters 1-3 (6th best in NFL) and 6.01 in the 4th (5th most in NFL) when coverages loosen up.

I've never met a fan so arrogant he/she would rather be right than have his/her own team field a very good defense. Only on the internet I guess.

I've never met a fan so arrogant he/she would rather be right than have his/her own team field a very good defense. Only on the internet I guess.
You must have missed the epic Patradmous "I don't care! I can't stand it" thread from the beginning of last season. This thread appears to be eerily similar.

You must have missed the epic Patradmous "I don't care! I can't stand it!" thread from the beginning of last season. This thread appears to be eerily similar.
I wasn't actively posting at that time but I remember the seeing the title and how many pages it was and just not even wanting to bother

I wasn't actively posting at that time but I remember the seeing the title and how many pages it was and just not even wanting to bother
Cliff notes version: Patradomous overreacted to how Denver was so much better and doing so much more to win very early in the season. As the year went on he kept doubling down rather than admitting that his original post may have been a knee jerk overreaction.

I don't care.I can't stand it! | New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

I do have to wonder aloud why some people think that points allowed is not a useful statistic, but other stats like yardage are more meaningful. One would think that the way wins and losses are determined would be relatively important, rather than those one or two (out of twenty or thirty) stats that the team does not rank highly in.

Cliff notes version: Patradomous overreacted to how Denver was so much better and doing so much more to win very early in the season. As the year went on he kept doubling down rather than admitting that his original post may have been a knee jerk overreaction.

I don't care.I can't stand it! | New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

I do have to wonder aloud why some people think that points allowed is not a useful statistic, but other stats like yardage are more meaningful. One would think that the way wins and losses are determined would be relatively important, rather than those one or two (out of twenty or thirty) stats that the team does not rank highly in.
I just really don't understand the point of doubling down on stupidity when whatever the person happened to be wrong about was working out really well for our team. Shouldn't we all be happy when things work out for the patriots as fans? I just don't get it, you know if Logan Ryan breaks out and becomes an all pro I would be psyched, not irritated because I never thought he would be anything above average.

Last edited:
You must have missed the epic Patradmous "I don't care! I can't stand it" thread from the beginning of last season. This thread appears to be eerily similar.

A patsfans.com classic right there ladies and gents.

I still think we should give out awards at the end of football season for the best/worst threads and there definitely should be a "I don't care. I can't stand it" award. That thread is legend.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back