PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Pats New Field be finshed on time or Will They move the Game to BC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nescott

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Can it be done in time?

Why exactly would it be suspected that they couldn't get it done in time? Has there been ANY indication of this? And why on earth would they move it to BC? If Extreme Home Makeover can put up a new house in a week, they certainly can lay down fake turf in two.

Maybe, just for this game, they'll play arena football and have it in the TD BankNorth Garden.

BradyisGod said:
Maybe, just for this game, they'll play arena football and have it in the TD BankNorth Garden.

Nah, that place would seat only a fraction of the season ticket holders. I say build temporary bleachers around Boston Common, chop down a few trees and have the game there.

I don't see how Bentley College (BC) could host the game as I believe their field is booked for that day.

Its pretty much standard for a concrete slab to be left alone for 28 days to cure. I can't imagine that they just roll that space-turf out over dirt.

Saw them play the Chiefs at BC.:D

sdaniels7114 said:
Its pretty much standard for a concrete slab to be left alone for 28 days to cure. I can't imagine that they just roll that space-turf out over dirt.

Why can't you imagine that?

This isn't your old ASTROTURF. Field turf, i'm pretty sure, IS laid down over packed ground and NOT concrete.

There isn't any concrete involved with FieldTurf. Its ground up tires. It will be done in time, or else they wouldn't be doing this. I'm pretty sure Bob Kraft has this covered.

They better get with the program and pull it together. They also better get there heads in the game if they are going to get the job done.

It's almost done now lol

sdaniels7114 said:
sd7114, they lay it over various decreasing (in size) grades of soil, gravel and/or other amendments to allow for drainage so it's just a matter of getting the subsurface firmed-up to the desired level. The field gets topdressed with the crumb rubber to A) weigh the field down, B) hold the turf blades up, C) provide cushion and D) give the appearance of thicker turf (if standard black crumb is used).

No reason it shouldn't be done. Although it is a project in MA, so slight cost and time over-runs may occur ;)

Are there any recent links to pics of the progress? The WeatherBug camera cuts off most of the activity on the field. I'd like to see the progress.

CTPatsFan said:
sd7114, they lay it over various decreasing (in size) grades of soil, gravel and/or other amendments to allow for drainage so it's just a matter of getting the subsurface firmed-up to the desired level. The field gets topdressed with the crumb rubber to A) weigh the field down, B) hold the turf blades up, C) provide cushion and D) give the appearance of thicker turf (if standard black crumb is used).

No reason it shouldn't be done. Although it is a project in MA, so slight cost and time over-runs may occur ;)

Are there any recent links to pics of the progress? The WeatherBug camera cuts off most of the activity on the field. I'd like to see the progress.

Thanks for the info. So, does it not matter if it rains while they lay this thing down? They're in such a hurry, I was curious whether bad weather during the contruction process might compromise the end result to any degree.

Awesome it is looking good lets hope no snow that could really slow it down

And FYI, it's the Celtics that used to play at Brandeis College, not the Patriots.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
Thanks for the info. So, does it not matter if it rains while they lay this thing down? They're in such a hurry, I was curious whether bad weather during the contruction process might compromise the end result to any degree.

As long as it's not a muddy mess, occassional rain or showers aren't a problem. Despite the appearance at the playing surface, that soil mix does drain pretty well through the profile. I'd have to imagine that they'll take some core samples to check the compaction as they go as well metering it before laying the playing surface.

Thanks for the link, NUT.

Wait, wait, wait....the Patriots are moving to British Columbia?! They'll need a longer muddy mess to play on.

The *real* reason the Bears game was pushed back to 4:15 was that the field wasn't going to be ready until 4:05 ;) .

Regards,
Chris

CTPatsFan said:
As long as it's not a muddy mess, occassional rain or showers aren't a problem. Despite the appearance at the playing surface, that soil mix does drain pretty well through the profile. I'd have to imagine that they'll take some core samples to check the compaction as they go as well metering it before laying the playing surface.

Thanks for the link, NUT.

OK, further to the process: This statement from the article interested me:

Then the crews will roll the field. Normally, said Gilman, they prefer to have a one-month break-in, where weather and play will level the field "to an optimal level." Since they don't have a month now, the field must be rolled.

By "rolling," they mean compacting and evening it out, correct? Will this compromise anything since they are shortcutting the normal settling process? I'm wondering if that might make the field harder than it normally would be. Also, will the field be crowned for drainage? I'm surprised the cost to the Pats is only $750k.

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
OK, further to the process: This statement from the article interested me:

Then the crews will roll the field. Normally, said Gilman, they prefer to have a one-month break-in, where weather and play will level the field "to an optimal level." Since they don't have a month now, the field must be rolled.

By "rolling," they mean compacting and evening it out, correct? Will this compromise anything since they are shortcutting the normal settling process? I'm wondering if that might make the field harder than it normally would be. Also, will the field be crowned for drainage? I'm surprised the cost to the Pats is only $750k.

Tune, I should say that if I were doing the install, I wouldn't be comfortable with the timeframe. They are taking shortcuts with the rolling and you just can't replicate normal weathering and settling but these guys (ostensibly) know what they are doing. There should still be crowning to promote runoff to the sides, but the surface will still allow water to percolate through to the subsurface drainage as well.

The cost is relatively low, but much of the grading and sitework had already been done. Plus there probably is some sort of discounted price just to get Gillette into their portfolio. The H.S. in our town converted their soccer/football field to Field Turf two years ago (another sore subject but every corner was cut on construction and the soil structure was unsalvagable and artificial was probably the best recourse) and the bill was just over a million by the time they got done stripping the desk-sized boulders and pieces of pavement out of the supposed screened soil.

I've done artificial putting green installations which is a similar process, but that by no means makes me any more of an expert of FieldTurf than the next guy. I did watch the H.S. install and it was quite a process that does require some precision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes