PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots trade Ryan Mallet ?

Re: Will Ryan Mallet get traded ?

And then what would you do?

I can't speak for Oswlek but, if it were me, I'd party my ass off in celebration.

Spend two first rounders to move up to pick from the barren 2104 QB class? That is not very bright.

Nor would it be necessary if you're just looking for a backup caliber QB.

For this season what would you do as well? Spend a 3 on a backup QB with no hope of excelling?

If Brady goes down, it's season over, anyway. You find a veteran backup who might be capable of not killing you for a week or two, and then you hope you never need him.

Sometimes you have to think of the consequences.

The consequence is a first round pick for a guy who's not part of the future anyway. I'd be thrilled with those consequences.

And then what would you do? Spend two first rounders to move up to pick from the barren 2104 QB class? That is not very bright.

For this season what would you do as well? Spend a 3 on a backup QB with no hope of excelling?

Sometimes you have to think of the consequences.

So you are saying that you would NOT trade Mallett for a 1st round pick, AZ? (not that it would ever happen in a million years)

:confused:

I can't speak for Oswlek but, if it were me, I'd party my ass off in celebration.

Nor would it be necessary if you're just looking for a backup caliber QB.

If Brady goes down, it's season over, anyway. You find a veteran backup who might be capable of not killing you for a week or two, and then you hope you never need him.

The consequence is a first round pick for a guy who's not part of the future anyway. I'd be thrilled with those consequences.

I guess I don't agree with just your rather cavalier attitude for *****canning the season, if an QB injury occurs; and also discarding hopes for a possible uninterrupted future of winning.

Seemingly, you are proposing a "Suck for Luck" season soon.

BB didn't do that in 2008.

I guess I don't agree with just your rather cavalier attitude for *****canning the season, if an QB injury occurs; and also discarding hopes for a possible uninterrupted future of winning.

The team didn't make the playoffs in 2008. So yeah, the season was over in Week 1.

Understanding that this team almost certainly isn't winning the SB with Ryan Mallett under center isn't being cavalier. It's being realistic.

Understanding that Mallett's not shown himself to be worth a 1st round pick, and that getting a first round pick for him would, therefore, be getting great trade value for a future non-factor isn't being cavalier. It's being realistic.

Understanding that the team in 2008 didn't even make the playoffs despite Cassel's development isn't being cavalier. It's helping to make my point.

I didn't propose any sort of "suck for Luck" scenario, either, so I've got no idea what you're talking about with that.

How does moving a marginal backup QB for a first rounder in any way equate to "suck for Luck?" :confused:

Not seeing what 2008 has to do with anything as well. A more comparable situation would be the 2009 season, when NE's backup QB had trade value with limited options behind him.

If some crazy team came knocking for Mallett with a first rounder in hand, Bill would leap at that deal, hoping to Christ that the other GM didn't sober up before all the papers were signed.

To play Devil's advocate for a second, why was Marques Colston a 7th-round pick? He didn't have a nagging history of injuries, he didn't go to a school with no history of producing WR talent (Wayne Chrebet went to Hofstra), etc.

Also, remember that such a statement requires that there be 32 "rational actors" participating in the draft. We all know that there's at least one "franchise" that isn't rational, and a half-dozen more that are wildly dysfunctional.

Addressing your second point first, of course I accept that teams will potentially make ridiculously bad deals. My point was more why in this case, since nothing has changed since the draft. The same was true of Hoyer and his potential value. The question is who is throwing that crazy deal out there? If a team is lobbing first round picks and quality players for the trade, then take the deal and can roll the dice on a veteran QB that might fit the system. Who knows, maybe Hoyer or Cassell are looking for a home when that happens.

With regard to your first point, Colston is the "diamond in the rough" draft pick (equally true with Brady). If the guy is given a chance and proves he can play in the NFL, of course the teams with this additional NFL information would have a different view. Colston was projected by the below report to go undrafted for the stated reasons. He had definite pros, but the big questions pertained to how he would develop in the NFL and thus whether his pros would find a place on an NFL team. Colston is valuable now because he has proven himself in the NFL (much as Brady did once given the chance). Teams would be playing craps with Mallet because his resume says no more than he has spent time on an NFL team. Draft questions likely remain as current concerns, thus why expect to get more than was paid for him?

BIO: All-Conference selection as a senior after posting 70/975/. Missed the .04 season after leading the team in receiving the prior year with 51/910/7.

POSITIVES: King-sized wideout whose game significantly progressed last year. Offers the quarterback a big target, gets vertical and out-jumps opponents for the pass. Nicely adjusts to the throw and has reliable hands. Comes back to the ball, makes the reception in stride and looks the pass in. Has a burst of acceleration and displays speed in the open field.

NEGATIVES: Slows into breaks running routes. Must display better awareness, get past the sticks on third down and consistently catch the ball before he runs up field.

ANALYSIS: A prospect with outstanding size/speed numbers, Colston has the ability to be a No. 2 receiver in the NFL once he gets adjusted to the speed of the game. An outstanding red-zone target who also flourishes on third-down situations.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

So you are saying that you would NOT trade Mallett for a 1st round pick, AZ? (not that it would ever happen in a million years)

:confused:

I would trade Ryan Mallett to Cleveland for a 2nd rounder and Brian Hoyer.

I'm sorry, but that isn't thinking. That is fantasizing. No team is going to trade a 1st rounder for Mallett for a variety of reasons. First and foremost is that they would be in a better position to take a highly touted QB coming out. Secondly, the quarterbacks coming out in the last few years have been highly successful outside of Tebow. Luck, Wilson, RGIII, Newton. Third, none of the teams who are having QB issues are remotely close to play-off contenders. So even adding a Mallett won't get them into the hunt. So, they'd be trading a HIGH 1st round pick..

Your thinking is sound, EXCEPT the 2014 collegiate QB class looks even more barren than the 2013 was. It does no good to "Suck for Luck" if there is no Luck to be had. The Pats once did that and got an only OK DT.

Why else are they booming Claveon as the #1?

Your thinking is sound, EXCEPT the 2014 collegiate QB class looks even more barren than the 2013 was. It does no good to "Suck for Luck" if there is no Luck to be had. The Pats once did that and got an only OK DT.

Why else are they booming Claveon as the #1?

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Jadeveon Clowney (not Claveon) is being "boomed" as the the #1 because he's so damn good despite his only being junior this year this year. There is talk that he will take the single season sack record easily. Only time will tell, but there is plenty about the kid that is pure talent.

The 2014 Draft actually has better talent than the 2013 draft. The 2013 draft was barren and why only 1 QB was taken in the 1st round. A QB most felt shouldn't be taken until the 2nd. . Boyd, McCarron, Fales, and Morris are all potential 1st rounders based on how they play. Then you also have any juniors who decide to come out based on the perceived barrenness of the 2014 draft.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Jadeveon Clowney (not Claveon) is being "boomed" as the the #1 because he's so damn good despite his only being junior this year this year. There is talk that he will take the single season sack record easily. Only time will tell, but there is plenty about the kid that is pure talent.

The 2014 Draft actually has better talent than the 2013 draft. The 2013 draft was barren and why only 1 QB was taken in the 1st round. A QB most felt shouldn't be taken until the 2nd. . Boyd, McCarron, Fales, and Morris are all potential 1st rounders based on how they play. Then you also have any juniors who decide to come out based on the perceived barrenness of the 2014 draft.

Undersized shrimps, and a couple with rag arms to boot. Dream On! Perhaps a 2015 guy will come out too. How about Johnny "Football", aka Ryan Leaf, Manziel. He is a shrimp, with slightly better than a rag arm, but boy can he run.

He might even make 8 games, before they cart him off like RG III, with a busted knee...

Another point to add is that we aren't talking about trading away Brady or an actual "starter". Rather, we're talking about trading a third round pick, Ryan Mallett, a guy who has yet to show that he can step in and lead a team for an entire year.

THAT is the guy we would be replacing in the upcoming draft and given the time Brady still has remaining, they'd only be looking for yet another serviceable backup.

BTW, IF the Pats got a #1 for Mallett, that would give them some ammo to try and trade up to take Clowney :) It might not pan out, but the guy is seen as a "once in a generation" type player at his position. A defensive version of Elway, Manning, Luck etc. (Relax, I only left Brady off that list because he wasn't viewed that way coming out of college).

Ivan and Belichick90210 acknowledge that Tebow should be on the roster.

Demo open’s a thread that says “Tebow needs to be CUT” and Awesomo likes it..:rocker:

Another point to add is that we aren't talking about trading away Brady or an actual "starter". Rather, we're talking about trading a third round pick, Ryan Mallett, a guy who has yet to show that he can step in and lead a team for an entire year.

THAT is the guy we would be replacing in the upcoming draft and given the time Brady still has remaining, they'd only be looking for yet another serviceable backup.

BTW, IF the Pats got a #1 for Mallett, that would give them some ammo to try and trade up to take Clowney :) It might not pan out, but the guy is seen as a "once in a generation" type player at his position. A defensive version of Elway, Manning, Luck etc. (Relax, I only left Brady off that list because he wasn't viewed that way coming out of college).

Assuming Clowney is as good as they say, any GM willing to even listen to a trade offer should be fired on the spot. :(

Man....there is a lot of pipe dreaming going on today! Here's the reality...best u would get for Mallett would bbe a 6th or 7th...from an absolutely desperate team with very little other options. ...seriously, he has shown very little since becoming a pro...

QUOTE=Afam;3529517]Exactly. That's my thought on the matter. If a desperate team offers a first round pick for mallet do you say no. I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Man....there is a lot of pipe dreaming going on today! Here's the reality...best u would get for Mallett would bbe a 6th or 7th...from an absolutely desperate team with very little other options. ...seriously, he has shown very little since becoming a pro...

Most of us who are saying something like:

"If someone offers a first for Mallett . . ."

as a short-hand for:

"If the reanimated corpse of Al Davis arises from the grave, or some other weird s— results in a first-round pick being offered for Mallett . . ."

Hey guys - quick thought experiment.

If the Detroit Lions offered us their next 20 first round picks for Tavon Wilson, would you take it?

Mallett is worth at least a 1st and a 2nd round pick.

Of course, I am basing this on the market where we were going to get a 1st for Rohan Davey a number of years back.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back