PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots trade Ryan Mallet ?

Re: Will the Patriots trade Ryan Mallet traded ?

I think so. I just have that feeling. Some teams qb's are going down like flies and acquiring a player like mallet will help solve their problem. Teams like the bills even with EJ Manuel in the fold and the jets.

First question is, who would be Brady's backup ? Then add in the fact that the only thing Mallett has proven so far in his 3 years, is that he's not a good QB, so I don't see how he'd solve ANY teams problems.

Are you guys ready? Because it's...

TEBOW TIME!!!

tumblr_mrsp4p8Qut1rxn48xo1_500.gif

For anything less than a 1st Round pick I say no.

Tebow is not a legitimate backup QB. If Brady was forced to miss a few games I think Mallet could keep us competitive, Tebow... uh no.

The Patriots were (more than) competitive with a QB who hadn't started a game since high school...remember that was not Brady's system that Cassell was running... the Pats changed it.

So why wouldn't BB have the same kind of success with Tebow if it came to that? He is not a good QB but I think BB would probably find a way to get by in the short term.

/devils advocate

First question is, who would be Brady's backup ? Then add in the fact that the only thing Mallett has proven so far in his 3 years, is that he's not a good QB, so I don't see how he'd solve ANY teams problems.

When has he ever had the chance to run with the ones and prove himself?

If I were a team needing to trade for a Quarterback and wanting to give up a mid draft pick,I look at Kyle Orton,Matt Moore,Ryan Fitzpatrick and maybe even Matt Cassell who are all former starters with credentials as backups over an unproven Mallett ..... Even an old Matt Hasselbeck is an option.

Mallett isn't going anywhere....

Re: Will Ryan Mallet get traded ?

...If one of these teams with QB injury problems offered up a 1st rounder for him (again, this is hypothetical, I don't expect this), do the Patriots take it and take their chances on a street FA for the year? Would you, as a fan, be ok with this move?

original.gif

Why would they trade him?
BB clearly would not have kept him if he didn't think he was a viable backup if Brady goes down (a pox on me and my house for even saying that).
Who else on the roster is a viable option?
Given Belichick's apparent confidence in him, who else that is available or unsigned would be better?

If I were a team needing to trade for a Quarterback and wanting to give up a mid draft pick,I look at Kyle Orton,Matt Moore,Ryan Fitzpatrick and maybe even Matt Cassell who are all former starters with credentials as backups over an unproven Mallett ..... Even an old Matt Hasselbeck is an option.

Mallett isn't going anywhere....

That just about says it all.

When has he ever had the chance to run with the ones and prove himself?

This is why I've said for a while that there is no harm at all with Brady coming out of the game when it's out of hand and Mallett going in to get live game experience. If they want to showcase him for any trade then put him in. 3 weak token handoffs or kneel downs does not count as "experience"...

But I know that is not BB/Brady's M.O.

The only time I've seen Brady come out of a game "early" is the Saints game a few years ago... and given what we know now about bounties I wonder if Bill knew something fishy was going on...but I digress.

The only thing any of us can really know about Mallet as a potential QB (we're just pulling everything else out of our butts) is that BB has watched him closely for two full years and is keeping him on the Roster as TB's backup.

That would be enough for many teams to take a flyer on him, but he's not going anywhere given the current NEP roster.

Damd those idiots who put Terry Bradshaw in the HOF who did it 3 times.

Tim Tebow > Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw.

Tim Tebow > Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw.

Wow. You've changed your tune :eek: . But cool, we've got a potential HOFer as our 3rd QB :cool:

But I'm sure others don't want us doing this here.

The only time I've seen Brady come out of a game "early" is the Saints game a few years ago... and given what we know now about bounties I wonder if Bill knew something fishy was going on...but I digress.

I didn't realize that, thank you. It is probably the most interesting "new" take on a BB/TB decision that I've seen on this board in a long time.

I didn't realize that, thank you. It is probably the most interesting "new" take on a BB/TB decision that I've seen on this board in a long time.

Thanks!

I remember they were down 3 scores with a half quarter to go in the game. I've seen teams come back from that deficit with less time than that...so the early "hook" to Brady was a very curious move that totally went against their M.O...

Given the circumstances around the Saints I think BB knew exactly what he was doing taking Brady out of the game....I don't know how or what exactly he knew about the bounties or whether Brady was a target...but I think he realized something was up, and he had to get Brady out of the game.

The Patriots were (more than) competitive with a QB who hadn't started a game since high school...remember that was not Brady's system that Cassell was running... the Pats changed it.

So why wouldn't BB have the same kind of success with Tebow if it came to that? He is not a good QB but I think BB would probably find a way to get by in the short term.

/devils advocate

I think the difference is that Matt Cassell can complete more that 50% of his passes. And wasn't exactly a slouch running the ball either.

Tebow:
1.) In his last meaningful game was embarrased by one of the worst pass defenses in history.
2.) Couldn't beat out Sanchez
3.) Threw for -1 yards passing.

I think the difference is that Matt Cassell can complete more that 50% of his passes. And wasn't exactly a slouch running the ball either.

Tebow:
1.) In his last meaningful game was embarrased by one of the worst pass defenses in history.
2.) Couldn't beat out Sanchez
3.) Threw for -1 yards passing.

Right but I'm just saying if Tebow somehow makes this team, somehow becomes QB2 and then is called on to start in the short term, the system he'll run isn't going to force him do anything that he isn't good at. Like it did for Cassell.

That's because we have a great coach.

Thanks!

I remember they were down 3 scores with a half quarter to go in the game. I've seen teams come back from that deficit with less time than that...so the early "hook" to Brady was a very curious move that totally went against their M.O...

Given the circumstances around the Saints I think BB knew exactly what he was doing taking Brady out of the game....I don't know how or what exactly he knew about the bounties or whether Brady was a target...but I think he realized something was up, and he had to get Brady out of the game.

That is a really good observation I never heard before...kudos.

Re: Will Ryan Mallet get traded ?

I don't think he will, because Tebow has done nothing to show he's a competent backup, but the question does bring up an interesting thought experiment:

Let's say Mallett tears it up in the 4th preseason game. If one of these teams with QB injury problems offered up a 1st rounder for him (again, this is hypothetical, I don't expect this), do the Patriots take it and take their chances on a street FA for the year? Would you, as a fan, be ok with this move?

Absolutely, without a second thought.

Why would the Pats trade Mallet? If Brady goes down, the Pats would then have to overhaul the offense completely to support Tebow's skill set (assuming he stays with the team). Unless something changes drastically, Tebow will not simply step into Brady's position and run this offense as is. Cassell had similarities to Brady. So did Hoyer. Mallett is working toward a similar status.

More importantly, those who believe there is a market for Mallett probably need to grasp the reality that a 3rd round pick would not be a third round pick unless all other teams felt he had issues and didn't want him as a QB. Having not played a meaningful snap in an NFL game (Cassell played a full season), there is no evidence that he is worth even the third round pick. Unless he is a rock in the eyes of the Pats coaches and a likely cut, I submit that he is far more valuable to the Pats than he would be to any other team.

There are three separate questions.

1) How much would we require to trade Mallett?
Our responses are A) a 1st rounder or B) we won't trade him under any circumstances).

2) What is Mallett worth?
This is an irrelevant question.

3) What would the best offer be for Mallett? Some think a 6th. For most, it doesn't matter since we won't get a 1st.

CONCLUSION
We seem to be willing to trade Mallett; the issue is price. I agree. If Mallett were injured, Belichick would find a way to sign a backup. He could do the same if there was a trade.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back