PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moore would be outstanding value at #23 (we pick at #23 now after the Eagles win).

but we could also get #22 if we trade Cassel to the Vikings.

If Smith declares, he'll be in the 1st 2 rounds more than likely, though I would say he'd be there at the end of the 2nd. As for playing CB, Smith is actually only 5/8 inch taller than Antonie Cromartie. He seems to have very good agility and he doesn't seem to be a long strider, which means he can get to full speed quickly..

Yes, he still has to declare, but he's a red-shirt Junior this year so the likelihood is good that he will.

According to nfldraftbible Sean Smith declared today. He would be a good alternative if Moore is not available, and would probably go late 1st-early 2nd round.

According to nfldraftbible Sean Smith declared today. He would be a good alternative if Moore is not available, and would probably go late 1st-early 2nd round.

Good news. I'll have to do more research on Sean Smith. DBs with height intrigue me. I know BB avoids em like the plaugue usually but if he plays safety, BB might make an exception. ;)

I've long been opposed to trading up in the first round but looking at some of the trades from last year especially the Balt/Jax trade it's a better value than it once was. I wouldn't be surprised if BB identified a player he really wanted and could get in the 10-15 range and could trade our first and third, especially since we have two of them, him doing it.

If they can identify a guy to come in and be what Lawyer or Rodney were I'm all for it.

Moore seems to have the body, weight, speed and agility that the Pats love in a safety. He also seems to have the attitude to come up and support the run well and to take on players over the middle. If he's got the leadership ability, I think he'd be a great pick at 24..

He's a team captain. Considered a leader and best defensive player by his HC.

After watching Mizzu's last 4 games of the season, I do not think we need to trade up for Moore. He should be there at #24. He really struggled in coverage against Oklahoma and Kansas and those teams did a good job of attacking him and exploiting those coverage issues.

Mizzou's pass defense was terrible this season -- starting up front. Moore also missed two games with a foot injury (walking cast). Played the rest of the games with a shoulder and rib injury. He impressed me in the one game I saw this season and two games last season. Can't comment on the games you viewed.

Last season he led the nation in picks (8). This season he played more as a quasi-LB vs the run and led all conference DBs in tackles for losses. So we can see that in back-to-back seasons, he's been a productive player in both coverage and in the box. He's also a strong blitzer (Rodney's forte'). And from my research so far, his character and work ethic seem solid. Haven't determined his smarts as yet.

One of my considerations when evaluating prospects is to look at a player's supporting cast. Moore had none, while a Taylor Mays played on an all-star defense.

Currently, he's still listed on many boards as a first rounder, making him a possibility at #23.

The Daily News is quoting Pete Carroll today as saying that Taylor Mays is returning to USC. Article is on dailynews.com. If true that would significantly decrease our chances of William Moore being available at #23. Bummer. Mays and Gerald McCoy both returning (both top-15) picks is like moving down 2 spots in the draft.

Will Moore III was a WR who was a UDFA as far as I can find. He joined the Pats in 1995 and played for them for 2 years before going on to Jacksonville.

Will Moore was a veteran of the Canadian Football League when he made the Pats on a tryout invitaition. Great hands, limited athleticism. I think he led the team in receiving one year.

After watching Mizzu's last 4 games of the season, I do not think we need to trade up for Moore. He should be there at #24. He really struggled in coverage against Oklahoma and Kansas and those teams did a good job of attacking him and exploiting those coverage issues.

After watching Oklahoma run over Spikes like a dead possum in the road, I have more doubts then ever about projecting him in our defense.

Maybin was eaten alive by the USC Oline and I'm not sure where he would project in our defense.

Barwin is interesting and a bit intriguing.

I am not sure Hardy can make the transition to playing with his hand off the ground and his technique is reallyweak.

Moore had a nagging ankle injury this past season which limited his effectiveness. If he came out as a jr he would have been a very strong candidate to be picked in the top 15. This kid is going to be an excellent NFL safety no doubt in my mind. He is physical and he's also a playmaker both vs the run and pass. He has excellent size and uses it pretty damn well to lay the lumber to WR's/TE's that come over the middle. His sr season aside I think what separates him from the other safeties in this draft is his cover ability at that size (6-1, 230). He locates and goes up and makes plays on the ball as well. I also love his aggressive, physical play which reminds me of #37. The only problem I see is that since FSU's Rolle and USC's Mays will not be entering this draft, that could make a team reach for him as a top 15 pick. I don't really like Oregon's Chung all that much, he's physical and strong but he seems slow and like he needs some NFL seasoning. I would love to have this kid be available at #23 and wouldn't hesitate to trade up a few slots to get him on my team. The Pats will certainly have the ammo to do so if they wish.

Last edited:
I see William Moore weighed in at the Senior Bowl today at 6'0.1" and 223 lbs., so perhaps he has managed to take off a little weight. He was listed as playing around 230 most of the past season (though that may have been inaccurate) and the extra weight seemed to impact his range and speed.

I think Moore's relatively poor 2008 season may make him a bargain for the Pats. As others have mentioned, he had a lot of nagging injuries plus he was probably playing too heavy. There's no doubt that he is a major talent, and could be a steal at #23.

Do you want him?

How much?

Would you trade up for him?

How much would you give.

Would you pick him at 24?
Over other options, not so much.

Trade up, unlikely.

With NE's 1st round pick, perhaps as an alternative.

Imagine our secondary with William Morre and Sean Jones as the starters, the Sanders super combo (James and Lewis) as backups and Harrison in the shadow/PUP roster (waiting to come back for a superbowl run):eek:

Imagine our secondary with William Morre and Sean Jones as the starters, the Sanders super combo (James and Lewis) as backups and Harrison in the shadow/PUP roster (waiting to come back for a superbowl run):eek:

Did Brandon Meriweather die???

sad-smiley-8110.gif
I has a sad. :(

I promise I will never do drugs again, (sorry huge mistake) Correction William Moore + BRANDON MERIWEATHER, The sanders duo and Harrison as hybrid S/LB

It's a shame the USC kid went back for another year Taylor Mays. I think now it makes it that much harder to land Will Moore unless the Pats move up some, we have the ammo to do it. You know if he has a Great Workout we can almost forget about it.:(

Last edited:
It's a shame the USC kid went back for another year Taylor Mays. I think now it makes it that much harder to land Will Moore unless the Pats move up some we have the ammo it. You know if he has a Great Workout we can almost forget about it.:(
We'll know more after the South's first practice tomorrow.

If Sean Smith runs the way I think he will, I think he may be a strong consideration at #23. It is still intensely early, but I always liked what I saw in him and he can offer us another PLAYMAKER wherever he plays in the secondary (I'd prefer him at FS).

If Sean Smith runs the way I think he will, I think he may be a strong consideration at #23. It is still intensely early, but I always liked what I saw in him and he can offer us another PLAYMAKER wherever he plays in the secondary (I'd prefer him at FS).

They have him listed at CB...i didn't like his projected speed for the outside 4.50 but the kid is Big at 6-3 214.

They have him listed at CB...i didn't like his projected speed for the outside 4.50 but the kid is Big at 6-3 214.

He played CB in college, and while I think he would do fairly well either way, I would love to see him play FS. He is long, strong, aggressive, and athletic.

I think as far as measurables and such he reminds me a bit of Kenny Phillips, but he isn't quite the hitter and doesn't have the experience at both safety spots.

I think Sean Smith could be a serious option for us at #23, and could possibly play both CB and S (probably FS). Meriweather seems to have done well at SS, though I would have thought FS would be his natural position. Smith is definitely a playmaker, has good hips and good change of direction, and takes small steps which allow him to make adjustments well. His times speed is uncertain - there are rumors he could run anywhere from the high 4.3's to the low 4.5's. He may even be able to play CB at the next level. He started out as a WR and played most of his freshman year at that position. His ceiling could be another Nnamdi Asomugha; his floor could be another Tebucky Jones. But at this early stage of the process, I think he's definitely someone to keep an eye on.

I could see us making DB our #1 priority in the draft and choosing between Will Moore, DJ Moore, and Sean Smith, depending on availability and what needs we address in FA. DJ Moore is closer to our pure CB model. William Moore is a pure safety. And Sean Smith offers some versatility to play both, and perhaps the highest upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST