PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork Restructures Contract (3 Yr 22.5 Mil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Volin is saying that the deal saves the Patriots $3.6 million in cap space this year, but I'll wait until Miguel gives his opinion on the matter sometime in the next few days...

[email protected] ‏@patscap Mar 25
My cap space number of $4,019,036 now matches to the dollar the NFLPA report at Public Report - NFLPlayers.com

If that ends up being the case, that puts us at about 7.6 million in cap space.

Blount Force Trauma + a center/safety then off to the draft

If reports are true, it's a $3 million dollar risk for a multi-time All-Pro that allows the All-Pro to make all his money, and more, back, but it still frees up cap space for the Patriots.

We don't have the final details, but the early reports make it sound quite.....

Reasonable. :ranger:

I wonder if the additional 2 years are partially for Wilfork's image.

He gets paid above average-elite for this season as his contract certainly shows, and the team has a way out, Wilfork can retire being one of the highest paid DT/NT's in the NFL, instead of being kicked out and leaving the NFL as a UFA.

The guy DOES care about his image and what his paycheck looks like.

If he bounces back and still plays like the best we all know and love, the team can pick that option up.

top 2 questions.

#1 Cap breakdown? How is it structured? - We will find this out as time goes on and I assume it will be reasonably good for both sides.

Then the MUCH MORE interesting question.

#2 How does this effect the draft?

At what point do you extend for Donald now? If Hageman falls in your lap at 29 do you take him?

This is one we will be debating till the draft and with no clear answer. On one hand you possible have 5 Good to decent DTs on your roster. On the other Kelly and Wilfork are here short term and this might be your best chance to land a quality DT without having to reach too far.

I'm really glad to see Vince back!!! I'm very curious as to the cap savings as most pat fans are as well.

With Vince and Kelly both coming off injuries and being older, I would still think defensive tackle has to be high on their list of draft priorities. With this deep draft, I doubt we are going to trade up. If Hageman, Tuitt or Jernigan are there with our first pick, I'm thinking we have to seriously consider one of them. Otherwise, I expect us to trade back. We still need tight end help as well as interior offensive line help and a pass rushing defensive end would also be great.

Hope he comes back healthy because if he does, our run defense will be much improved, even with the loss of Spikes.

Ben Volin is saying that the deal saves the Patriots $3.6 million in cap space this year.
Read Volin's timeline right after the Revis deal was reported. How many of his tweets or any tweets at that time about the Revis contract ended up being true?

what a holocaust the past month has been for the Chicken Littles...

my advice....buy low on chicken stock futures...the market is flooded with carcasses

Ben Volin is saying that the deal saves the Patriots $3.6 million in cap space this year, but I'll wait until Miguel gives his opinion on the matter sometime in the next few days...
I think Volin may be prematurely jumping to conclusions on this one. $3.6M in savings would be Wilfork's current $11.6M cap hit minus the $8M supposed max new money this year, but that's not accounting for the $3.6M in old signing bonus proration, any signing bonus that could be split over the three years, or any NLTBE incentives.

If that $3M guaranteed is a signing bonus, then it seems like the Pats save $2M on this year's cap plus whatever incentives are NLTBE.

(I also may be completely wrong on this.)

Read Volin's timeline right after the Revis deal was reported. How many of his tweets or any tweets at that time about the Revis contract ended up being true?

I think Volin may be prematurely jumping to conclusions on this one. $3.6M in savings would be Wilfork's current $11.6M cap hit minus the $8M supposed max new money this year, but that's not accounting for the $3.6M in old signing bonus proration, any signing bonus that could be split over the three years, or any NLTBE incentives.

If that $3M guaranteed is a signing bonus, then it seems like the Pats save $2M on this year's cap plus whatever incentives are NLTBE.

(I also may be completely wrong on this.)

Not to bag on the Globe or Herald, because I understand how they've been raided of talent and have financial issues, but they've got to get some reporters in who have the ability to break stories. Right now, they are the last to know just about everything.

Updating an earlier item, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Vince Wilfork's "three-year, $22.5 million deal" is essentially a one-year, $8 million contract.

The final two years are option years. As for Wilfork's "$8 million," only $3 million of it is guaranteed. The remaining $5 million is tied up in playing-time incentives, albeit ones Wilfork is expected to reach if he's healthy. It's a good deal for both sides, allowing Wilfork to save face while protecting the Pats in case he hits a speed bump in his recovery from a torn Achilles' tendon.
Vince Wilfork - New England Patriots - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

I would have hated to lose Wilfork. He's been the heart and soul of this defense for so long. Cutting him would have been like cutting Brushci. Glad to see him and the Pats working out a deal so he can still be a Pat. This off season has turned out way better than I thought it would.

Hopefully we can get Blount back and that would be the icing on the cake.

Well IF F IF both Wilfork and Armstead are healthy IMO we are done on the DL.

I presume we will run more 4-3 this year. That implies 8 DL players.

DT: Wilfork, Kelley, Silinga, Chris Jones
DE: Chandler Jones, Ninko, Armstead, Buchanan

Buchanan had a broken jaw his Sr season, played 20 lbs light, what will this offseason bring for strength/conditioning for him, he showed some ability to get into the backfield on the pass rush go abused setting the edge. Armstead if healthy will be a stud.

The Secondary is set.

Glaring need for depth at LB both inside and outside.

Going into the draft the needs are OL,TE first and foremost.

Contingent of course on the health of Kelly, VW and Armstead.

Is it just me or are D-Mac's legs bigger than VWs? LOL

bianca wilfork ‏@mrs75 1m
@MrsMayo51 @McCourtyTwins @wilfork75 thanks Dev the self-proclaimed deal sealer
BjxGE2aIgAAavez.jpg

This major Wilfy fan had punted on hope of seeing him finish as a Patriot.
I'm excited as a fan to see Vince be able to work his ass off as I feel he will to recover and make those of us who for a time doubted that he'd be a contributor.

WORK IT Vince!

REPORT: Vince Wilfork Agrees to Three-Year, $22.5M Extension

REPORT: Vince Wilfork Agrees to Three-Year, $22.5M Extension
By:

According to reports, Patriots defensive lineman Vince Wilfork has agreed to terms on a contract extension with the Patriots....

Is it just me or are D-Mac's legs bigger than VWs? LOL

bianca wilfork ‏@mrs75 1m
@MrsMayo51 @McCourtyTwins @wilfork75 thanks Dev the self-proclaimed deal sealer ������
BjxGE2aIgAAavez.jpg

Perspective.
Look at his left leg.

I like to thank Bianca and Vincent for giving me more free time:) Was working on a blog post that would have detailed my proposal to Wilfork and the Patriots. Can stop now:)
Miguel, When the details are eventually released, please let us know how close your deal came to the one he signed with the Pats.

I'm personally thrilled that we locked down the best secondary in the NFL so that we could start an aging/injured NT who doesn't pass rush for 3 years

hopefully he doesn't play very much and all that money is incentive-based

I'm personally thrilled that we don't have many fans like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes