PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Absurdly Early (December 1) 2010 Offseason and Mock

I read much more than I post, but as far as this onlooker is concerned, there are only three areas of legitimate need on this team:

1.) Pass rush. The lack of a pass rush has been our fatal flaw since the end of the 2007 season. Like Bill Walsh said, the key to winning football games is being able to generate (or stop, depending on whether it's your team that has the ball) fourth quarter pass rush.
2.) Viable third option in the passing game. Be it a TE who can separate and threaten the short to intermediate middle, or a WR who isn't route-specific and can create separation on at least two of the three levels of the field. The common denominator: separation. Beyond Welker and Moss, we have guys who simply can't separate. That needs to change.
3.) Push in the interior of the offensive line. Koppen's best days are behind him, and Neal is looking more and more like that old beater who'll fetch about $250 at the used car lot. More than anything, we need guys who won't get overmatched and give up quick penetration. Not losing ground on the interior is a win in the passing game. Push in the running game is a plus, but not as important as general athleticism and an ability to get to the second level.

Anyway, my $.02.

I read much more than I post, but as far as this onlooker is concerned, there are only three areas of legitimate need on this team:

1.) Pass rush. The lack of a pass rush has been our fatal flaw since the end of the 2007 season. Like Bill Walsh said, the key to winning football games is being able to generate (or stop, depending on whether it's your team that has the ball) fourth quarter pass rush.
2.) Viable third option in the passing game. Be it a TE who can separate and threaten the short to intermediate middle, or a WR who isn't route-specific and can create separation on at least two of the three levels of the field. The common denominator: separation. Beyond Welker and Moss, we have guys who simply can't separate. That needs to change.
3.) Push in the interior of the offensive line. Koppen's best days are behind him, and Neal is looking more and more like that old beater who'll fetch about $250 at the used car lot. More than anything, we need guys who won't get overmatched and give up quick penetration. Not losing ground on the interior is a win in the passing game. Push in the running game is a plus, but not as important as general athleticism and an ability to get to the second level.

Anyway, my $.02.

I obviously agree with you on the pass rush and the OL. I think RT is also a need. I don't see a 3rd WR is being as critical as you do, with Tate coming back. I'm looking to 2011 for a top WR prospect.

Tony Pauline from CNNSI/TFYdraft previewed some of the prospects in the Alabama-Florida game, many of whom are of potential interest to the Pats:

Joe Haden, more NFL Draft prospects in SEC Championship Game - NFL - SI.com

Some particular notes of interest:

1. Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama: "McClain plays a more cerebral brand of football compared to Florida's Spikes and also creates opportunities for his team. He's a dominant run defender who also displays skill in pass coverage. McClain is expected to enter the draft and has immediate starting potential at the next level. Middle first round" Can't argue with anything there. I think he goes top 15 and is out of our reach, though I'd love to get him.

2. Branndon Spikes, ILB, Florida: "Spikes is one of the most forceful linebackers in the nation and plays with a nastiness that's not been witnessed in a while. The versatility to be used at several spots in the front seven only enhances his value. Middle first round" I think Spikes may be suited more for a big 4-3 scheme like Baltimore of the Giants than 3-4 SILB for the Pats. I also think he will go late 1st-mid 2nd round.

3. Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida (suspended): "The defensive end is an imposing figure with the physical skills to take over games. Problem is, Dunlap does not consistently play to his potential and has been known to have motivational concerns. His recent off-the-field transgressions, which will keep him from playing Saturday, will cause him to further slip in next April's draft, which he's expected to enter. Late first round" Pauline has Dunlap dropping to the late 1st, within reach. Should we consider him, and how highly? He's an amazing physical specimen, and supposedly not a bad kid at all. I think he would merit a very hard look if he drops.

4. Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama: "NFL scouts have wide ranging opinions on where Cody will be selected. There's no doubting he's a dominant interior player who controls the line of scrimmage when his motor's running. Such players are usually selected earlier than most predict. Middle first round" If we keep Wilfork I don't see DT as a major need, and Cody will likely go top 20. But if we franchise and trade Vince then I could see going for Mount Cody, who would be a beast in the middle. If he fell to our range he would have to get a serious look.

5. Jermaine Cunningham, DE/OLB, Florida: "Cunningham does not receive the notoriety many of his teammates get yet has done nothing but make plays the past two seasons. He's a disruptive pass rusher who lacks the size to play defensive end at the next level. He may shift to outside linebacker. Middle second round" I think Cunningham will go late-2nd to 3rd round. He could be worth a look as a 3-4 OLB. I could see him as a Robert Mathis type, and have him going to the Colts in this mock.

6. Joe Haden, CB, Florida: "Haden is the most complete cornerback in the nation. He offers terrific ball skills with the ability to shut down opponents and hold his own in run defense. He's expected to be the first cornerback selected. Middle of the first round." I think Haden will wow the combine and be a top 10 pick and the first CB taken. Only Patrick Peterson seems to me a more impressive CB prospect, and he's not eligible to 2011. If he somehow fell to our range (which won't happen) I would seriously consider him, even given our other needs, as I think he and Butler would make a fabulous pair of lockdown CBs, and the value would be too good to pass up.

7. Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama: "Jackson is swiftly moving up draft boards and most think the junior is headed to the NFL after the season. He's been a shutdown corner for the Tide since his freshman season and is a productive special teams player. Second round" I think Jackson is a much better prospect than Javier Arenas, and could be worth a look anytime after the late 2nd round. I think he'll be a 1st round pick in 2011 if he stays.

8. Maurkice Pouncey, C/OG, Florida: "Maurkice Pouncey*/C: Pouncey is one of the most dominant centers in the nation. He clears the middle of the field with brute strength while also displaying the agility to destroy opponents while blocking in motion. He could be the first center selected if he leaves for the NFL. Late first round" I badly want him for the Pats, and have us taking him at #41 in this mock. I hope he lasts that long. I think I'd rate him even above Mike Iupati as my top interior lineman because of his versatility.

9. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida: "Pouncey has rounded into a solid lineman as both a run blocker and pass protector. He lacks the upside and versatility of his twin brother, Maurkice, but is still a legitimate NFL prospect. Fourth round" I think Mike Pouncey could go higher. After Mike Iupati and Gabe Carimi, I like him, Mike Johnson and Vladimir Ducasse in the 3rd round as OG prospects. Would be nice to re-unite him with his brother.

10. Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida: Aaron Hernandez*/TE: Hernandez is another junior most think will enter April's draft. He's a terrific pass catcher who holds his own as a blocker. He will not blow scouts away with his size and speed, but his football skills are evident on film. Late second round" I have Hernandez as my #2 TE prospect after Jermaine Greshman. I think his size will keep him from being a 1st rounder, but he compares favorably with Dustin Keller.

Lot of interesting players. And I didn't even bother to mention Tim Tebow.

SidelineSid

1.) I really, really don't see Tennessee using a top ten pick on a corner this year. They have a really nice safety tandem and a good due of corners. The problem is that they have been hit hard by injuries. What they need is help on the defensive line: both at defensive tackle and at defensive end. You fix that and I promise you that team will have a top 5 defense.

2.) We won't be able to resign Watson. The man has talent and other people know that. Other teams are going to throw cash at the kid and I think he's going to take it. Why? Because we don't use him enough in the passing game. He's more than a blocker and he knows that.

3.) If Matt Light just walks after the 2010 season, we'll most likely get a 3rd round compensation pick just for the fact that he'll be the starting left tackle on a team. We'd basically be doing them a favor. i think we can get better value. A lot of teams need a good offensive tackle, but they are out of range of a good one. Someone is going to get desperate and that team could pay a low 2nd.

4.) I like Volmer too, but it's a little too soon to call him dominant.

5.) If you don't think that Matt Light is worth a 2nd round pick, then Adalius Thomas sure isn't. They are about the same age and Light has been more productive. Also I'm sure Atlanta's GM is watching Patriots games and has trouble finding Mr. Invisible.

6.) Eventhough St. Louis drafted an offesnive lineman last year, they didn't fix their line. It still has problems. I don't think it would be right to put a young QB back there. Plus, Spags is a defensive minded head coach and would love a guy like McCoy on his defensive line.

7.) Taylor Mays has struggled in coverage this year. The difference between the talent of Mays and a talent of Berry is like measuring the distance between Tennessee and California. I'm not saying that Mays is terrible and should be out of the first round all together. What I am saying is that Berry's body of work will at least make teams ask: Why doesn't the other first round safety have this? I say Mays falls a little bit.

8.) Dunlap's DUI and forthcomming suspension make him fall a bit. The jests drafted an athletic freak with numerous inconsistencies last year. They might be a little gun shy this time. At least Gholston had the common sense to call a cab.

9.) Baltimore is gonna draft a DB. Here is where I see Haden going. Two of the members in the Titans secondary have been significant starters on Superbowl winning teams. THOSE GUYS ARE GOOD! They've been hit hard by injuries this year. That's why we had such an easy time against them. Look out for Baltimore to make a potential trade here. They have been known to jump up to get players that they are interested in.

10. Philly barely uses the RB's that they have. I don't think that they spend a first round draft choice on a position that's frequently under utalized. Look for them to upgrade their O-line. Shawn Andrews is a head case that hasn't panned out. They lost to the freaking raiders because they couldn't protect their QB. They could easily trade with Seatle to steal Iupati from the Steelers.

11.) We're on the clock, an elite tight end is available: Start sweating. I'm serious. he's done it before and we may lose Watson. Get nervous.

Good Post.
I agree with you on Taylor Mays. Read a few places that he is not as good as Berry.

Another guy I really like at RB is Montario Hardesty from Tennessee. I think he's projected to go 2nd to 3rd round. I'd definitely take a look at him. I think he is the best pure senior between the tackles RB. He's around 6'1 215 and he's got some good moves and is pretty shift but also has good power. He gets nice and low to the ground and lowers his shoulder into defenders and fights for extra yards. He's got a pretty nice spin move too. He hits the hole hard and has good vision. He doesn't have amazing speed but he's got pretty good breakaway speed. I love the way can cut and run and get upfield and then lower his shoulder into you at the end of the run.

He's had a great season in the toughest conference in America. I don't know why he kind of flies under the radar. I guess it could be because of Ingram, Tebow, Dunlap and all the other stars in the SEC, but I see this guy as a real quality RB. A tandem of him and Maroney would really look great in the backfield.

Another guy I really like at RB is Montario Hardesty from Tennessee. I think he's projected to go 2nd to 3rd round. I'd definitely take a look at him. I think he is the best pure senior between the tackles RB. He's around 6'1 215 and he's got some good moves and is pretty shift but also has good power. He gets nice and low to the ground and lowers his shoulder into defenders and fights for extra yards. He's got a pretty nice spin move too. He hits the hole hard and has good vision. He doesn't have amazing speed but he's got pretty good breakaway speed. I love the way can cut and run and get upfield and then lower his shoulder into you at the end of the run.

He's had a great season in the toughest conference in America. I don't know why he kind of flies under the radar. I guess it could be because of Ingram, Tebow, Dunlap and all the other stars in the SEC, but I see this guy as a real quality RB. A tandem of him and Maroney would really look great in the backfield.

I was just going to say we need a RB .

1 Most here seem to agree we should go after 2 pass rushers....DE/Lb'S and I hope BB does.

2 A solid OG that can actually push his man 2/3 yds off the line on running plays would be nice. Its said to see our RB'S hit behind the los so often.

3 I believe TE/WR is a need. Watson may leave. Moss is getting older and if he got hurt next year I don't feel comfortable with what's left. I love Welker but he gets hit so much and misses a few games every year.
Maybe their a FA WR we could pick up?

4 Maybe a power RB in the late rounds. Will both Taylor and Morris be back?
I miss Corey Dilion.

That's 5 picks.
After that I would say BA or punter? Trade the rest back. Is there room for more than 5/6 rookies. Nothing worst than that one year I seen us just grabbing players we all knew had no chance to make the teams.

1 Most here seem to agree we should go after 2 pass rushers....DE/Lb'S and I hope BB does.

2 A solid OG that can actually push his man 2/3 yds off the line on running plays would be nice. Its said to see our RB'S hit behind the los so often.

3 I believe TE/WR is a need. Watson may leave. Moss is getting older and if he got hurt next year I don't feel comfortable with what's left. I love Welker but he gets hit so much and misses a few games every year.

4 Maybe a power RB in the late rounds. Will both Taylor and Morris be back?
I miss Corey Dilion.

That's 5 picks.
After that I would say BA or punter? Trade the rest back. Is there room for more than 5/6 rookies. Nothing worst than that one year I seen us just grabbing players we all knew had no chance to make the teams.

I'd personally focus on the lines on both sides of the ball in the first 3 rounds (including the pass rush), and then look at RB, WR, TE in the later rounds, unless the value is just too good to pass up (e.g., CB Joe Haden falling to our 1st round pick). And I'd like to see more than one OL drafted fairly high.

I agree with you on Taylor Mays. Read a few places that he is not as good as Berry.

He's not as good as Berry. But he is an impressive specimen, and will wow the combine. I don't expect him to go top 5 like some once predicted, but anywhere in the 10-25 range is not out of the question. San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta, the Giants and Dallas all need safety help badly.

I use this heatmap to gauge the overall depth and quality of team. Looking ahead to the offseason this is what the roster looks like (assumes no CBA). With a CBA the roster looks a lot worse as Ghost, Mankins would be free agents instead of Restricted Free Agents.

Quick analysis, the team returns an above average offense and solid defense. With all the draft picks the team will have solid depth but could really use an impact player on defense.

Attachments

• 2009_sneak_peek_at_Free_Agency.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Tony Pauline and TFYdraft have an update out today regarding potential underclassmen who could declare:

TFY

Among the interesting notes:

- Kansas WR Desmond Brizcoe has formally announced he will declare
- Junior CBs Joe Haden of Florida and Kareem Jackson of Alabama are leaning heavily towards declaring. Haden will probably be the 1st CB off the board. Jackson is a likely 2nd round pick.
- North Carolina DE/DT Marvin Austin and OLB Bruce Carter are leaning strongly towards declaring. Both are potential picks in the first 2 rounds.
- Iowa OT Brian Bulaga is expected to declare. DE Adrian Clayborn is reportedly 50/50, which usually means going back for another year.

Based on feedback from a number of people and some developments since this was first posted, here's an alternative version of the draft (comments are ommitted except for changes; changed picked noted in bold):

Round 1

1. St. Louis (1-15): Jake Locker*, QB, Washington

2. Tampa Bay (1-15): Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

3. Cleveland (1-15): Casey Clausen*, QB, Notre Dame

4. Detroit (2-14): Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma St.

5. Oakland (2-14): Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma.

6. Kansas City (4-12): Eric Berry*, S, Tennessee

7. Washington (5-11): Brian Bulaga*, OT, Iowa

8. Buffalo (6-10): Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma

9. Tennessee (6-10) -> Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech
Tennessee gets a powerful pass rusher.

10. San Francisco (from Carolina (7-9)): Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama

11. Seattle (7-9): Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland

12. Miami (7-9): Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma St.

13. Jacksonville (8-8): Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
Wanted Morgan, but Jags settle for a disruptive DE with a non-stop motor.

14. Chicago (7-9) -> Denver: Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama

15. Projected trade: Baltimore (from San Francisco (8-8)): Joe Haden*, CB, Florida
Ravens trade up to get the best CB prospect in the draft.

16. NY Jets (8-8): Cameron Heyward*, DE, Ohio St.
Son of Ironhead will be an amazing 3-4 DE. As a Pats fan, I hate this pick.

17. Atlanta (9-7): Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi.

18. Houston (9-7): Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, USF.

19. San Francisco (from Baltimore (9-7)): Taylor Mays, S, USC.

20. NY Giants (9-7): Brandon Spikes, MLB, Florida.
With Antonio Pierce having a neck injury, the Giants get an upgrade with Spikes.

21. Arizona (10-6): Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas

22. Dallas (10-6): Anthony Davis*, OT, Rutgers.

23. Seattle (from Denver (10-6)): Ryan Mallet*, QB, Arkansas

24. Pittsburgh (10-6): Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho

25. Green Bay (11-5): Charles Brown, OT, USC

26. Philadelphia (11-5): CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson

27. Projected trade: Carolina (from New England (12-4)): Carlos Dunlap*, DE, Florida.
Pats trade the pick for DE Julius Peppers. Carolina had no 1st round pick, but gets one of the elite talents in the draft and a potential young Peppers.

28. Cincinnati (12-4): Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

29. Minnesota (14-2): Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee.
Vikes get another DT named Williams, a fast riser to eventually replace Pat Williams.

30. Indianapolis (15-1): Travis Lewis*, LB, Oklahoma

31. San Diego (12-4): Arthur Jones, DE, Syracuse.

32. New Orleans (15-1): Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

Round 2

33. St. Louis: Everson Griffen*, DE, USC

34. Tampa Bay: Navorro Bowman, LB*, Penn St.

35. Cleveland: Damien Williams*, WR, USC
Browns need help everywhere, including playmakers at WR.

36. Detroit: Brian Price*, DT, UCLA.

37. Oakland: Jahvid Best*, RB, Cal

38. Kansas City: Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU

39. Washington: Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati

40. Buffalo: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

41. New England (from Tennessee): Maurkice Pouncey*, C, Florida

42. Carolina: Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU

43. Seattle: Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech

44. Miami: Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson.

45. Projected trade: Baltimore (from New England, from Jacksonville): Demaryius Williams*, WR, Georgia Tech.
Ravens get a big, athletic WR with tremendous upside. Ravens give up their 4th round pick (#115) to move up for Williams, a 1st round talent.

46. Tampa Bay (from Chicago): Donovan Warren*, CB, Michigan
Bucs get a 1st round talent to pair with Aqib Talib.

47. San Francisco: Gabe Carimi,* OT, Wisconsin

48. NY Jets: Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forresty
Jets need a CB to pair with Revis. DT Dan Williams could be the pick as an eventual successor to Kris Jenkins.

49. Kansas City (from Atlanta): Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
KC gets a Dumervil type OLB to pair with Jerry Hughes. Should create lots of sacks.

50. Houston: Golden Tate*, WR, Notre Dame

51. New England (from Baltimore): Joseph Barksdale,* OT, LSU
Pats get a talented tackle with great feet/power who should do for RT what Sebastian Vollmer is doing at LT.

52. NY Giants: Aaron Hernandez*, TE, Florida

53. Arizona: Aurelius Benn*, WR, Illinois

54. Dallas: Morgan Burnett, S, Georgia Tech.

55. Denver: Allen Bailey*, DE, Miami

56. Pittsburgh: Kareem Jackson*, CB, Alabama
Steelers upgrade their secondary with a potential 1st round talent.

57. Green Bay: Jared Odrick, DE, Penn St.

58. Philadelphia: Jeremy Beal*, DE, Oklahoma.

59. New England: Greg Romeus*, DE, Pittsburgh.

60. Cincinnati: Eric Norwood, DE/OLB, South Carolina

61. Minnesota: Reshad Jones, S, Georgia

62. Indianapolis: Jason Fox, OT, Miami

63. San Diego: Ryan Mathews*, RB, Fresno St.

64. New Orleans: Marvin Austin*, DT, North Carolina.

Round 3

65. St. Louis: Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina

66. Tampa Bay: Austen Lane, DE, Murray State
Bucs need pass rushers. Badly.

67. Cleveland: Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford

68. Detroit: Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama

69. Oakland: Ras-I Dowling*, CB, Virginia
Raiders get a big DB who can play either CB or S.

70. New England (from Kansas City): Corey Wootten, DE, Northwestern
Pats get a 6'7" 3-4 DE who was once considered a 1st round pick.

71. Washington: Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa

72. Buffalo: Jeff Linkenbach, OT, Cinncinnati

73. Tennessee: Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky

74. Carolina: Nate Allen, S, USF

75. Philadelphia (from Seattle): Darrell Stuckey, S, Kansas

76. Miami: Brandon Lang, DE/OLB, Troy

77. Jacksonville: Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

78. Chicago: Marshawn Gilyard, WR

79. San Francisco: Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

80. Cleveland (from NY Jets): Vince Oghobasse, DE, Duke

81. Atlanta: Sean Lee, LB, Penn St.

82. Houston: Anthony Dixon, RB, Mississippi

83. Baltimore: Washington makes plays all over the field. With some size, he could eventually take over for Ray Lewis.

84. NY Giants: Chad Jones, S, LSU
With Kenny Phillips' career in doubt, Giants get a huge FS as insurance.

85. Arizona: Shaun Lauavau, OG, Arizona

86. Dallas: Vladimir Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass.

87. NE (from Denver): Mike Pouncey*, OG, Florida

88. Pittsburgh: Phil Taylor* DT, Baylor

89. Green Bay: Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida St.
With Harris and Woodson aging, depth at CB is needed.

90. Philadelphia: Philadelphia: Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia.

91. Oakland (from New England): Jevan Snead*, QB, Mississippi

92. Cincinnati: Tyson Ayualu, DT, Cal

93. Minnesota: Syd'Quan Thompson, CB,Cal

94. Indianapolis: Jermaine Cunningham, DE, Florida

95. San Diego: Kam Chancellor, S, Virginia Tech

96. New Orleans: Noel Devine*, RB, West Virginia

Round 4

97. St. Louis: Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana-Pa.

98. Tampa Bay: Chris Marinelli, OT, Stanford.

99. Cleveland: Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas.

100. Detroit: Greg Jones, ILB.

101. Oakland: Cameron Jordan*, DE, Cal.

102. Kansas City: Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri.

103. Washington: Kris O'Dowd*, C, USC.

104. Buffalo: Roderick Muckelroy, LB, Texas.

105. Tennessee: D'Anthony Smith, DT, Louisiana Tech.

108. Carolina: Michael Morgan*, OLB, USC.
Fast OLB with terrific range should be a nice complement to Jon Beason.

107. Seattle: Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois.

109. Miami: Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa.

106. Jacksonville: Stefan Wisniewski*, C, Penn St.

110. Chicago: Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame.

111. San Francisco: George Selvie, DE/OLB, USF.

112. Philadelphia (from NY Jets): Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota.
Decker falls because of injury. Nice over the middle big WR to complement DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.

113. Atlanta: Myron Lewis, CB, Vanderbilt.

114. Houston: Matt Tennant, C, Boston College.

115. New England (from Baltimore): Dexter McCluster, RB, Mississippi.

116. NY Giants: Perish Cox, CB, Oklahoma St.U

117. Arizona: Boo Robinson, DT, Wake Forest.

118. Dallas: O'Brien Schofield, DE/OLB, Wisconsin.

119. Denver: Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia.

120. Pittsburgh: Brandon Deaderick, DE, Alabama
Can never have enough 3-4 DE depth.

121. Green Bay: Jason Worilds*, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech

122. Philadelphia: Anthony McCoy, TE, USC.

123. New England: LeGarrette Blount, RB
After grabbing a 3rd down back, Pats get a big boomer at RB. A TE like Ed ****son could also be an option.

124. Cincinnati: Kase Keenum, QB, Houston.

125. Minnesota: Zane Beadles, OG, Utah.

126 Indianapolis: Mike Neal, DT, PUrdue

127. San Diego: Desmond Brizcoe, WR, Kansas

128. New Orleans: Adam Ulatowski, OT, Texas.

I'm assuming Earl Thomas and Adrian Clayborn don't come out.

In this version, the Pats pick up an extra 4th round pick by trading with Baltimore in the 2nd round. They end up with:

1(27) Traded for Julius Peppers, DE/OLB
2(41) Maurkice Pouncey, OG/C
2(51) Joseph Barksdale, OT
2(59) Greg Romeus, DE/OLB
3(70) Corey Wootten, DE
3(89) Mike Pouncey, OG
4(115) Dexter McCluster, RB
4(123) LeGarrette Blount, RB

Add a TE and a punter, and they should be set. I still don't know how to make the Peppers money work, but we'll ignore that for now.

:wha:

What games have you been watching? The JEST game this year was the first game he's missed because of injury in his career.

Tony Pauline and TFYdraft have an update out today regarding potential underclassmen who could declare:

TFY

Among the interesting notes:

- North Carolina DE/DT Marvin Austin and OLB Bruce Carter are leaning strongly towards declaring. Both are potential picks in the first 2 rounds.

UNC's Carter will return for senior season

FWIW on Bruce Carter. Doesn't mean he won't change his mind especially since his draft stock seems to be on the rise. While he is a little on the light side, he is amazing in pursuit and unloads when he arrives. He translates inside for the Pats and they already have Mayo, Guyton and Mackenzie...but Carter is a playmaker and you can't have enough of them.

UNC's Carter will return for senior season

FWIW on Bruce Carter. Doesn't mean he won't change his mind especially since his draft stock seems to be on the rise. While he is a little on the light side, he is amazing in pursuit and unloads when he arrives. He translates inside for the Pats and they already have Mayo, Guyton and Mackenzie...but Carter is a playmaker and you can't have enough of them.

Bummer. Thanks for the update. I had heard he was leaning heavily towards returning, so I was surprised when TFYdraft reported he and Marvin Austin were both leaning towards coming out. I agree, he's a nice playmaker. Carter, Travis Lewis and Navarro Bowman are all nice junior WLB prospects.

DUI during the week and your draft stock takes a dive, don't play on Saturday and your D line can't get any pressure on the opposing team.

Interesting week for Carlos Dunlap, I think his stock will rise a lot in the wake of the SECCG.

@Mayo - Just FYI, Washington used its 3rd rounder in last year's supplemental I believe.

Carlos Dunlap goes to Florida.

J D Sal

Great job...

a couple things:

Regarding SF and QBs, I believe Alex Smith is in fact the answer at QB for them. They have really opened up their offense with him. Their running game has taken a seat to the Smith-Davis-Crabtree connection. I'd rather have him than any of the QBs drafted in 2009.

You also said Hasselbeck is 6'7... which he isn't ;)

Just responding to a couple of your comments.

1.) I really, really don't see Tennessee using a top ten pick on a corner this year. They have a really nice safety tandem and a good due of corners. The problem is that they have been hit hard by injuries. What they need is help on the defensive line: both at defensive tackle and at defensive end. You fix that and I promise you that team will have a top 5 defense.
No.2 against the run this year despite their horrific start to the season, and in fairness their D as a whole has been impressive since they got stuffed by the Patriots, its far too early to tell what they need. I think they are close to if not a top 5 D over their last 5 games

2.) We won't be able to resign Watson. The man has talent and other people know that. Other teams are going to throw cash at the kid and I think he's going to take it. Why? Because we don't use him enough in the passing game. He's more than a blocker and he knows that.
This is the same Watson that many people thought would not make the 53 this season. He had a very poor 2008 and he hasn't done much over the last while either. he will be here next year, I guarantee you that.

8.) Dunlap's DUI and forthcomming suspension make him fall a bit. The jests drafted an athletic freak with numerous inconsistencies last year. They might be a little gun shy this time. At least Gholston had the common sense to call a cab.
I think his stock is higher now than it ever was after the shocking display of the Gators DL in the SECCG which he didn't play in

9.) Baltimore is gonna draft a DB. Here is where I see Haden going. Two of the members in the Titans secondary have been significant starters on Superbowl winning teams. THOSE GUYS ARE GOOD! They've been hit hard by injuries this year. That's why we had such an easy time against them. Look out for Baltimore to make a potential trade here. They have been known to jump up to get players that they are interested in.
The Ravens' most urgent need is at WR, Mason came out of retirement this year and is adamant that this is his last year, they don't have a decent wideout for Flacco to throw the ball to next year. There are three really special talents at WR possibly coming out this year, I think they will look to get one of them even if they have to move up, or else they have to trade for a top wideout, either way it has to be their no.1 priority

11.) We're on the clock, an elite tight end is available: Start sweating. I'm serious. he's done it before and we may lose Watson. Get nervous.
We have got to get a replacement for Faulk who will be 34 next year, he can't have long left. The offensive line needs a lot of help. And I haven't even mentioned OLB yet. A TE is way down the list of priorities.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back