PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why no talk about Randall Gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker83 said:
I will definatly agree that poor execution was to blame. The problem though is you can't just say execution will be fixed. We saw various occasions when the Pats completely melted down (KC, SD, DEN). Now whether execution was related to injury is an endless debate. OR it could be you have problems with the AFC West.

Luckily you had Depth at all of those positions lost to injury last year except SS... you do not however have depth at LB, K, WR, Returner... Thus those losses are a little more painful than you think.

Sorry bout the spelling...

Do yourself a favor, and go back to the post to which I believe you were responding, read it again, and don't tell me what I think.

welky smells like a troll... how bout culpepper dude? he's not even playing this year? lol... the fish got hosed.

cubedoggy said:
A = Poor execution was to blame. I will never admit that better team won, because it didn't. The Pats gave that game away.
B = Is far more important than you care to admit. Let's see you guys lose your starting LT, C, Nickel, and SS to injury this year and see how well you do.
C = Depth (at K, OLB, OL, WR, Returner) + Draft = No problem.

It's Ashworth, BTW.

Right on Cube. Not to mention which it's not a simple subtraction of the players he mentioned. Because those players will be replaced. Heck, Dwight can be replaced with a ham sandwich. Ashworth was great in the VISA commercials, but he's not exactly an All Pro. This team is going to be great this year, and I say that with more free agent signings possible, and our best position in the NFL Draft in years just ahead.

shakadave said:
Agree! Great post, '62! I've been posting in various places, saying it in various ways, that we don't need another DB. (There was even the "We Don't Need Another DB" thread.) And Gay was an important part of my calculus.

I really liked him in 2004, not that he was flashy or a star or anything. Remember, with his Saban/LSU background he has more experience "in the system" than we think!

Thanks Shaka! Gotta a great friend here in VA (also a Dave by the way) who was onto Randall Gay even before the draft. He saw some LSU football and told me this guy will be a player. I frankly, believe he's right on the money based on his rookie season. Thanks for the reply.

RayClay said:
If you could find a Ray Clayborne that would be a collectors item.

I'd like to buy an "e" Pat.:D

I met Ray Clay in New Orleans during the week leading up to the 86 Super Bowl. I LOVE the guy! He was super nice to me and my family, as was his wife.

it's a business baby

Patjew said:
Maybe it's because he has the worst selling jersey in the league.
can't have that. chicken/egg---if he starts will the jersey sell, or vice versa?
he looks like a fine CB to me, gonna get better. maybe a 10-year starter. perhaps all ten with patriots. IMO he's a 'given', which is why i don't talk about him much.
not bad for a UFA.
BTW i don't hear much talk about ty warren, neal, the twig, the TEs, or colvin.

Bostonian1962 said:
I met Ray Clay in New Orleans during the week leading up to the 86 Super Bowl. I LOVE the guy! He was super nice to me and my family, as was his wife.

I'm not a big "player" guy when it comes to the Pats, but when I thought of a name, Clayborn stood out as the one I most admired.

Thought he was underrated compared to Haynes.

Although he ended up with the team record, I never saw him go for an interception. He was all about "no catches for you".

When I think of Ray, I think of the fourth quarter of a game that was already decided.

The played a lot of man back then and he just tied up this great receiver the whole game.

The last couple of passes, this receiver just started slapping at Ray like a girl.

He was so frustrated that Clayborn covered him every play like it was the last play of the super bowl even though the game was out of reach.

Ray just turned around and went to the huddle. Next play he was on him like a blanket from the jam to the end zone.

60 minutes, every game, every year.:rocker:

Last edited:
who's best with the refs?

Welker83 said:
There are no more Shut-down Corners..They have been re-named as Pass-interference Corners....
probably need to be a good spin doctor too.

Dream On, my friend...

Welker83 said:
I will definatly agree that poor execution was to blame. The problem though is you can't just say execution will be fixed. We saw various occasions when the Pats completely melted down (KC, SD, DEN). Now whether execution was related to injury is an endless debate. OR it could be you have problems with the AFC West.

Luckily you had Depth at all of those positions lost to injury last year except SS... you do not however have depth at LB, K, WR, Returner... Thus those losses are a little more painful than you think.

Sorry bout the spelling...

Wishful dreaming. Ashworth and Dwight were no longer starters. Vinatieri is a good kicker but still only a kicker.

Losing Givens and Willie will hurt, no question. Harrison's injury hurt but Sanders, G Scott are no longer rookies. Tebucky is back and Hawkins a long time starter at CB, was a fair CB conversion. And Harrison should be back sometime this fall.

But Vrabel is a younger Willie.

As for Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown, (Back from defense), and perhaps the maturing of Bethel Johnson, I think they can find one or a combo to pick up the slack for a good #2, but a #2 WR, nonetheless. Two second round picks and a past probowler, should be enough to muddle through, I would think.

The Broncos beat a team that couldn't run with RB injuries to every RB and shot themselve in the foot with rookie like mistakes, ON OFFENSE. And on Offense they WERE playing two rookies and a backup on the O-line and an Ashworth who was sick as dog and given intraveneous fluids to just get on the field. Only one of five veteran linemen were playing his natural position. for example, Ashworth missing on a blitz-pickup, led to Champ's 99 yard INT return.

He will continue to grow fits nice hell will be back this year

how droll

RayClay said:
If you could find a Ray Clayborne that would be a collectors item.

I'd like to buy an "e" Pat.:D

but, I think you mean an "o", short stuff

I'd rather be long.

How does a thread about Randall Gay turn into a who should have won the Denver game thread? Anyway, just because the current Patriots DB's may be 'good enough'(as long as we have a dominant front 7) doesn't mean the FO shouldn't try to get someone better. I still want the #1 priority to be getting someone better than we have to be the 4th LB. But I'd have no problem getting a better CB or SS, should Harrison not be back, than the Patriots currently have on the roster. In today's NFL a shutdown CB isn't someone who holds the other team's top WR to no or 1 catch or something like that. But, going 1 on 1 most of the game and maybe holding Marvin Harrison to 5 catches for 35-40 yards and no TD's isn't bad either. Right now I think Hobbs would have the best chance of doing that. He challenge's better on each play than anyone else we have. But I don't know if he went 1 on 1 with Harrison most of a game, he'd do that well.
It's like the Patriots don't really need OL's as the ones they now have can do the job well enough to win a SB. But, if Walter Jones fell into the Patriots laps, just because thier OK on the OL, is no reason they shouldn't grab him. I know he'd probably be to expensive but I'm just trying to make the point that no matter who you have, it's always better to get better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back