PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is Thomas said to be Small ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to ProFW's books the year they came out, Thomas is the same height as Graham and Watson, 4 pounds heavier than Graham and 6 pounds lighter than Watson.

So why do some call him an H-Back ? Give him 12 months in an NFL program and he should be a full fledged TE.

He only weighs 239 lbs and is 6' 3"

MrTibbs said:
One place says 239, the others say 252.

NFL Draft Scout has him at 252 for his combine and pro day weight.

BelichickFan said:
According to ProFW's books the year they came out, Thomas is the same height as Graham and Watson, 4 pounds heavier than Graham and 6 pounds lighter than Watson..
I don't know why some guys getcalled small and undersized. It defies logic sometimes. THey list two guys with identical stats and call one ideal and one small.

Kiper's draft book has Thomas at 6'3" 249#

Hehas Vernon Davis at 6' 3 1/4" and 253#

I'mnot comparing Davis and Thomas, only saying that 1/4 inch and 4 pounds is not a big difference in stature.

Maybe they meant short for prototypical TE. Most are about 6'5" aren't they? So 6'3" could be short (as oposed to small).

Whatever. Ellis Hobbs is shorter than Dwayne Starks, too.

vernon is considered a little small for TE too but no doubt he'llbe good.. its because now a days the TEs are 6"6 or higher..many are faster ..stronger and all that

Instead of focusing on the numbers, just watch the guys on the field. DT is not a big guy. He is significantly smaller than Watson or Graham. Trust your eyes.

Thomas played the season at around 235 and bulked up in the offseason. Bottom line: Who cares? The guy has the best hands in the draft, reads defenses better than most Qbs, and comes through in the clutch.

letekro said:
Instead of focusing on the numbers, just watch the guys on the field. DT is not a big guy. He is significantly smaller than Watson or Graham. Trust your eyes.
I've never seen that guy at all, never mind standing next to Graham and Watson, but why wouldn't his height allow me to determine how tall he is? If I am 6'5" and my son is 6'4" do you really have to see us compared to each other to know I am the taller?

Some guys just 'like' peeking in the shower....

letekro said:
Well, evidently he has size potential and has moved in that direction since you last saw him on the field. 252 is 252.

This is a quote from NFL Draft Scout :

"Has added over 10 pounds of muscle to his frame, but could add more bulk with no loss in quickness."

I bet people won't be calling him small a year from now.

letekro said:

And where in the world are you getting that he is significantly smaller? What are you talking about?

stronger, faster, taller etc.

MrTibbs said:
he'd have been considered regular size no more than 20 years ago. as i recall russ francis and kellen winslow were the first of the big tight ends.
the chiefs had morris stroud, 6'10" and aout 265, in the early '70s. but the rest of the HOF guys, john mackey, mike ditka, ozzie newsome were about 6'3', 235-240. winslow and dave casper were 6'6" guys.
IMO the duties given the GTE are about the same as in 1975.
working with the OT to take a DE/D out of a play, moving out to take on LBs and seal off a play. Stretching the field to extent that SS/FS have to ignore the play of the CBs/WRs and stay on the hash marks.
todays' TE seem to me to be 6'3"-6'6", 260-270 to be to hold their own against DLs. remember DEs and DTs in that era were 265-275 (carl eller, deacon jones, jack youngbl0od, even howie long). now we see these 310-pounders (big sey, reggie white) who need more force to move anywhere.
giving up 6-70 lbs, i don't know how a TE can get the job done. sp he'll have to be a "pass-catching" TE.

stronger, faster, taller etc.

MrTibbs said:
he'd have been considered regular size no more than 20 years ago. as i recall russ francis and kellen winslow were the first of the big tight ends.
the chiefs had morris stroud, 6'10" and aout 265, in the early '70s. but the rest of the HOF guys, john mackey, mike ditka, ozzie newsome were about 6'3', 235-240. winslow and dave casper were 6'6" guys.
IMO the duties given the GTE are about the same as in 1975.
working with the OT to take a DE/D out of a play, moving out to take on LBs and seal off a play. Stretching the field to extent that SS/FS have to ignore the play of the CBs/WRs and stay on the hash marks.
todays' TE seem to me to be 6'3"-6'6", 260-270 to be to hold their own against DLs. remember DEs and DTs in that era were 265-275 (carl eller, deacon jones, jack youngbl0od, even howie long). now we see these 310-pounders (big sey, reggie white) who need more force to move anywhere.
giving up 60-70 lbs, i don't know how a TE can get the job done. so he'll have to be a "pass-catching" TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back