PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is NFL using the public to base its punishment on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goz421

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I see no reason why this wells report could have been reviewed and punishment caste before it was released to public. Only reason I see is they wish to guage public reaction and the generate revenue by the negative public media reaction. There is something seriously wrong and biased in this process. Something which should be adressed.

I think the excuse is to give the Patriots and Brady time to digest the contents before the league rules, and they want to give the impression that Wells delivered his completely independent report and it was shared with the public as soon as possible.

But you're right, I think this delay is to gauge public outcry and rule accordingly. They easily could have delayed he release of the report 2 days, sat down with Kraft/Belichick/Brady and gone through any grievances, then ruled accordingly. That's how a well-run league would have done it, but we all know the NFL is anything but a well-run league.

I hate to admit it but Felger was right yesterday. The NFL HAD to make this public because it make such a big friggan deal about it, was horrible about containing the story (intentionally) and has a credibility issue.

They were banking on this report to justify the attention deflategate was getting in the press.

I think areas such as screwing the Patriots, Goody showing that he isn't Kraft's boy and 24/7 NFL all the time news are nice to have byproducts.

The Wells report is weak and a large number of the press get this. The situation is actually far better than when it first broke out and 99.9% of the press was anti Patriots. Over time this changed. With the Wells report, certainly the vast majority are anti Patriots but there are quite a few who from the start came out and said the report is seriously flawed. As time goes on more will come around. Honestly I expect any punishment they attempt to give to Brady to be wiped on appeal given that science alone explains this despite Well's and Exponent (Asbestos is safe) trying to spin it. Look at the Headsmart video again where they did a scientific simulation and their #s came in where the halftime measurements did. Add in the 2 officials varying PSI measurements for the same balls at the same time (.45 PSI off) and it is a joke. They hang everything on that the Colts balls did not change the same way yet they do not go into how the Colts balls were stored, delivered and when they were measured. As we know, if they were on the bus, they would have already been acclimatized to the cold unlike the home teams balls stored inside. Additionally if the halftime measurements were done indoors, given they did the Colts balls last and ran out of time, these balls also would have had time to warm up.

I hate to admit it but Felger was right yesterday. The NFL HAD to make this public because it make such a big friggan deal about it, was horrible about containing the story (intentionally) and has a credibility issue.

They were banking on this report to justify the attention deflategate was getting in the press.

I think areas such as screwing the Patriots, Goody showing that he isn't Kraft's boy and 24/7 NFL all the time news are nice to have byproducts.
I think your making the OPs point. Not sure if that was your intent or not.

The OP is not questioning why the report was done but why the release of the report wouldn't coincide with punishment.

As you state the NFL doing the report was an attempt to seem transparent and act like they aren't covering anything up like Ray Rice. But what does the timing of the punishment have to do with transparency?

The only logic in releasing days after is to gauge public sentiment.

I think your making the OPs point. Not sure if that was your intent or not.

The OP is not questioning why the report was done but why the release of the report wouldn't coincide with punishment.

As you state the NFL doing the report was an attempt to seem transparent and act like they aren't covering anything up like Ray Rice. But what does the timing of the punishment have to do with transparency?

The only logic in releasing days after is to gauge public sentiment.
Yea I guess I was. I wasn't disagreeing with it. They made it public to see which direction the winds of public opinion would blow.

I also think they wanted to see what Kraft's public stance was (see: jellyfish) and Brady's via Yee (see: the Terminator) and after a few days of digestion how the winds blow. Do they pick up steam or turn into doldrums...

There is something seriously wrong and biased in this process. Something which should be adressed.

Seems malicious? Derive from malice? Hmmm, then maybe there is a basis for a defamation suit as implied by Yee?

If the NFL based all of their actions on what the public thinks Goodell should have been fired a long time ago.

They better be careful in that case because the public would be frothing at the mouth should some type of scandal be made public about Goodell and the holier-than-thou NFL. Just as in politics, it's just a matter of time before someone phucks up.

hammers going to drop.

amazing that woman beater rice only got two games initially, yet brady will get more is insane.
this is ********

they have to use something

the wells report doesn't provide a basis

hammers going to drop.

amazing that woman beater rice only got two games initially, yet brady will get more is insane.
this is ********

I don't think so..........The league is not going to want the publicity an appeal and then a trial will bring.

who do you think is more capable of fighting a legal battle, Rice or Brady?

If there is a suspension, it will confirm to the world that this was a terrible offense and Brady is a huge cheater (even though I'm not convinced any wrongdoing occurred) and if he is only fined/not suspended it will just confirm to the world that Goodell is in bed with the Patriots and Brady got off easy. No win in the eyes of the public. Just have to hope for the latter in a pure football and winning games sense.

Hoping a late Friday punishment means newsdump fodder of fines and maybe a pick. But I'm afraid a suspension is coming, along with a long winded Goodell presser to send people home happy for the weekend.

On the topic of a possible suspension, one aspect in Brady's favor that has not been discussed much is the money the league will lose every game Brady sits.

The discussion behind league walls now is likely about coming up with some form of penalty that appeases the public but also minimizes lost tv revenue when the games are actually played. In the end we all know money wins in the NFL so the Wells report may have been crafted just weak enough to justify a suspension that will not hold up on appeal.

I don't think anyone should get their hopes up about a Friday news dump fodder. THere is no way anything ever was getting buried. Major networks all ran over to Salem State to get a look at Brady. Nothing about this story was ever going to be buried.

I don't think so..........The league is not going to want the publicity an appeal and then a trial will bring.

who do you think is more capable of fighting a legal battle, Rice or Brady?
Not to mention that Brady is most likely innocent.

If there is a suspension, it will confirm to the world that this was a terrible offense and Brady is a huge cheater (even though I'm not convinced any wrongdoing occurred) and if he is only fined/not suspended it will just confirm to the world that Goodell is in bed with the Patriots and Brady got off easy. No win in the eyes of the public. Just have to hope for the latter in a pure football and winning games sense.

All the more reason for the Pats/Brady to challenge any punishment whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick