Why did we sign lafell over sanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 seasons with Brady as QB
11 seasons in the playoffs
3 Super Bowl wins
5 Super Bowl appearances
8 AFCCG appearances

It's not perfect, and there are always issues to deal with, mistakes to fix and things to improve but, overall, it's working fine.
Highest winning percentage (by a lot) of any QB in NFL history.

Hey Patriot Nation. Looks like my Broncos and your Pats are both working out the kinks early in the season, but are sitting in a good place at 2-1. Can't wait for our matchup and see how well both of us play.

However, after seeing this post, I couldn't help but think back on the conversations my old pal Kon and I had in the preseason about Sanders. Below are the words from Kon, that I tried to tell him were invalid. Sanders in 3 games has taken over as our most productive WR as his ability to stretch the field and seperate on underneath routes make him much more valuable than the guy he replaced, Eric Decker.

From Kon
"Most people that have actually watched the two play football believe that Decker is the better WR. Broncos fans are the only ones that don't. The two moves you made that impress me the most are Ware and Ward. With Talib, it will be interesting to see whether or not he goes back to being the Tampa Talib now that he's away from Belichick. That will, of course, come before he injures his hip again and limps out of a playoff game. Sanders is decent, but not as good as Decker."

12 seasons with Brady as QB
11 seasons in the playoffs
3 Super Bowl wins
5 Super Bowl appearances
8 AFCCG appearances

It's not perfect, and there are always issues to deal with, mistakes to fix and things to improve but, overall, it's working fine.

DI,

You pride yourself on being realistic. I'm glad that you corrected this poster who was posting non sense with some reality.

We'll have several games of uneven Offense until Solder, Cannon, Stork, Fleming and Vollmer are comfortable and anticipating what their line-mates are doing, and what they are going to do.

We may have been better off re signing Austin Collie instead of LaFell. would have been cheaper and he was half way decent with us

We may have been better off re signing Austin Collie instead of LaFell. would have been cheaper and he was half way decent with us

While I agree that Collie worked very hard to get up to speed and showed a nice option at times, I think he also offered something of a redundancy as well.

Give it at least 5-6 games for them to develop cohesion first. LaFell isn't a bad option at all considering his role, and will make some nice plays from time to time.

Can't be that complicated, Gronk and the inmate picked it up their first year.

While true, TE is not as complicated or vast as WR. Lots more responsibilities and options for WR.

Last edited:
It seems like some of the people raving about Sanders ignore the fact that Edelman is playing as well or maybe even a little bit better than him given the circumstances.

Denver added Saunders to replace Decker. Edelman is already on the team like Welker is for Denver.

Its about improving and Lafells 47 yards of production just isn't doing it for some ungrateful people. Cant they see how what he brings to the table?

How is it that the Broncs signed Sanders for about $5 million a year while the Patriots are playing with a Junior Varsity WR corp and have 10 million plus in cap space? This is the worst set of WRs I have seen in a Patriots uniforms. They cannot get open so Brady has to hold on to the ball and is getting killed. Just killed; he has taken some huge hits, especially in the Dolphins game.

Everyone is whining about the OL, but the receiving core is worse. Edelman is the only one who can get open. The Pats must have known their WRs sucked early in OTAs but did nothing about it.

This penny pinching by the Patriots is pretty discouraging.

Oh Mike, you're so transparent.

The receivers aren't the primary issue. Our turnstile of an OL is. If Brady had enough time, the receivers (including Gronk) would probably have more production. As it stands, Brady has very little to no time in the pocket and is getting rid of the ball as quickly as he can, which is why Edelman is thriving.

Don't get me wrong, this is far from the best receiving corps we've fielded. But it's not the biggest issue on offense right now.

I'm pretty sure what gave us so much cap space is the Mankins trade which happened long after the free agency period

Anyway, with this o-line it wouldn't matter if we had prime Moss, Rice and T.O.

Hey Patriot Nation. Looks like my Broncos and your Pats are both working out the kinks early in the season, but are sitting in a good place at 2-1. Can't wait for our matchup and see how well both of us play.

However, after seeing this post, I couldn't help but think back on the conversations my old pal Kon and I had in the preseason about Sanders. Below are the words from Kon, that I tried to tell him were invalid. Sanders in 3 games has taken over as our most productive WR as his ability to stretch the field and seperate on underneath routes make him much more valuable than the guy he replaced, Eric Decker.

From Kon
"Most people that have actually watched the two play football believe that Decker is the better WR. Broncos fans are the only ones that don't. The two moves you made that impress me the most are Ware and Ward. With Talib, it will be interesting to see whether or not he goes back to being the Tampa Talib now that he's away from Belichick. That will, of course, come before he injures his hip again and limps out of a playoff game. Sanders is decent, but not as good as Decker."
So your team's offense has gotten noticeably worse and you've decided that's evidence you're right?

Your contributions to this site make me think you rely primarily on ESPN and fantasy football to sculpt your football knowledge.

Last edited:
How is it that the Broncs signed Sanders for about $5 million a year while the Patriots are playing with a Junior Varsity WR corp and have 10 million plus in cap space? This is the worst set of WRs I have seen in a Patriots uniforms. They cannot get open so Brady has to hold on to the ball and is getting killed. Just killed; he has taken some huge hits, especially in the Dolphins game.

Everyone is whining about the OL, but the receiving core is worse. Edelman is the only one who can get open. The Pats must have known their WRs sucked early in OTAs but did nothing about it.

This penny pinching by the Patriots is pretty discouraging.
What's discouraging is people posting here who know as much about evaluating player talent, team needs and the salary cap as Snooki from Jersey Shore.

I have always thought Sanders had similar talent to Antonio Brown but just needed to put it together. Decker is good but I never doubted Sanders was going to blow his stats away. He also adds that blazing speed dimension. I said all along not signing sanders and spending the extra $$ over Lafell was going to look very bad. That's why nobody wants to talk about it because it was a serious mistake. Sanders is likely going to have a 1500 yard season and his blazing playmaking speed is something opponents have to game plan for.

If Bill can find a tackle I have confidence Cannon Stork and Fleming can fix the interior. Cannon needs a couple games after being groomed for tackle. Storks power was what scouts questioned. He has flawless technique and awareness and has added 10-12 lbs since college. He played at 306 and is up to nearly 320. At his pro day he said 325 is his goal. He is a hard worker he will be fine at center. Fleming has prototype size and talent for a guard at 6'5 330. Start these guys and let them get acclimated. Stork and Fleming are rookies but both intelligent. Those guys will get better every week. A competent LT and this group can be a strength. Then WRs will have no excuse.

sanders wouldn't as effective in the patriots " complicated " offense. tom wouldn't even look his way.
time to simply to the lack of talent we have at the WR position.

What's discouraging is people posting here who know as much about evaluating player talent, team needs and the salary cap as Snooki from Jersey Shore.

(hangs up phone)

Thanks a lot, now I need to find a new insider to help me break down my Sunday picks every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft