PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why did Lombardi leave Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Everytime I listen to him, he comes off as very smart and knowledgeable. He also goes way back with BB. So what happened?

His decision. Personally, I think he wanted to go back being a media guy. And when you see how many time he's been talking in shows, etc, it makes sense.

Probably didn't want to be grinding for endless hours a day when he could get paid the same for a few hours a day on tv/radio.
Agreed. Every year there's speculation about guys like Gruden and Cowher returning to coaching. Uh, uh. They discovered years ago what you just wrote.

Maybe Bill was really pissed-off at him for recommending Dom Easily?

Thanks for the responses...and the funny ones too. The TV gig makes sense as he always sounds like the smartest guy on any panel he is on and I like listening to him.

Agreed. Every year there's speculation about guys like Gruden and Cowher returning to coaching. Uh, uh. They discovered years ago what you just wrote.
Have any of the guys who have found success on television ever gone back? From Madden to Jimmy Johnson to Cower, Gruden, etc. etc., if they get a good gig on TV, they never go back… And why would they? They're getting paid a lot, there's no responsibility really, and they still get to be around the game.

Have any of the guys who have found success on television ever gone back? From Madden to Jimmy Johnson to Cower, Gruden, etc. etc., if they get a good gig on TV, they never go back… And why would they? They're getting paid a lot, there's no responsibility really, and they still get to be around the game.
Even though this is true, I think the real issue for him is that book he has in mind. Think about it. He worked for Al Davis, Walsh, and BB. I mean how great is THAT. And what a fantastic book that would be. He really should write it. He needs to, and I will be among the first to read it.

In fact it shouldn't be just a book, it should be a 24 volume set. Think of the history those 3 guys are responsible for.

Michael Lombardi explains his parting of ways with Patriots

Mostly wanted to write a book before it was too late. He doesn't seem like he wants to do the grind anymore, seems to love being a media talking head, much easier too.
Really useful link. Here's the real gem:
Lombardi's reference to his contract expiring highlights how during his time in New England, he was still getting paid from the contract he signed to become Browns general manager in 2013. He was let go by the Browns after one season.
So if I'm reading that correctly he may never have been on the Patriot's payroll. He was still getting paid by the Cleveland Browns and Belichick was letting him hang out around Foxboro as a friend. ROTFLMAO @ Cleveland!

Because he could ... he doesn't need the Patriots to further his career ... he didn't then and he doesn't now.

Really useful link. Here's the real gem:

So if I'm reading that correctly he may never have been on the Patriot's payroll. He was still getting paid by the Cleveland Browns and Belichick was letting him hang out around Foxboro as a friend. ROTFLMAO @ Cleveland!

That's how I read that too lol

Sorry about the accidental dislike, meant to agree but fat fingers... :oops:

Even though this is true, I think the real issue for him is that book he has in mind. Think about it. He worked for Al Davis, Walsh, and BB. I mean how great is THAT. And what a fantastic book that would be. He really should write it. He needs to, and I will be among the first to read it.

In fact it shouldn't be just a book, it should be a 24 volume set. Think of the history those 3 guys are responsible for.
dont forget Vince too

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back