PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Brady’s “underdog” stuff is intentional, and smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Since 2004, virtually every playoff game has been billed as a David vs. the Patriots contest. It’s been super annoying, especially since in many cases the Patriots are the underdog, or the contest is virtually even, while the Patriots opponents are pulling the disrespect card and chipping off all week. Last year’s Super Bowl was super annoying, as the Eagles played the gritty underdog card for two weeks despite being slight underdogs at Vegas and having a huge public backing (roughly 50% of people liked them straight up.). In 2011, the Giants talked for two weeks about being such slighted underdogs, even though they were merely 2-point underdogs and also had an overwhelming amount (more than 50%) of people taking them straight up. Heck, they were a pick ‘em in 2015 at Denver, with half their lineup decimated, and a loss earlier that year in Denver, yet the Broncos still managed to play the angry underrated card all week, while the Patriots seemingly just accepted the narrative.

I think Brady is tired of other teams controlling the narrative, and this is a conscious effort to try to get the team fired up and take the pressure off of them. Though we know he’s milking it for all it’s worth, it’s because he’s sick and tired of hearing about how the Patriots are expected to win and the other team is so outmanned and out coached (the reality is most of the conference championship games and Super Bowls are always predicted to be close games nowadays.)

So whether not this will actually help, the Patriots are pre-proclaiming themselves as the underdogs, with their motto “bet against us.” Whatever it is that helps the team perform and focus, I’ll take it, and no one knows that locker room like TB12.

Since 2004, virtually every playoff game has been billed as a David vs. the Patriots contest. It’s been super annoying, especially since in many cases the Patriots are the underdog, or the contest is virtually even, while the Patriots opponents are pulling the disrespect card and chipping off all week. Last year’s Super Bowl was super annoying, as the Eagles played the gritty underdog card for two weeks despite being slight underdogs at Vegas and having a huge public backing (roughly 50% of people liked them straight up.). In 2011, the Giants talked for two weeks about being such slighted underdogs, even though they were merely 2-point underdogs and also had an overwhelming amount (more than 50%) of people taking them straight up. Heck, they were a pick ‘em in 2015 at Denver, with half their lineup decimated, and a loss earlier that year in Denver, yet the Broncos still managed to play the angry underrated card all week, while the Patriots seemingly just accepted the narrative.

I think Brady is tired of other teams controlling the narrative, and this is a conscious effort to try to get the team fired up and take the pressure off of them. Though we know he’s milking it for all it’s worth, it’s because he’s sick and tired of hearing about how the Patriots are expected to win and the other team is so outmanned and out coached (the reality is most of the conference championship games and Super Bowls are always predicted to be close games nowadays.)

So whether not this will actually help, the Patriots are pre-proclaiming themselves as the underdogs, with their motto “bet against us.” Whatever it is that helps the team perform and focus, I’ll take it, and no one knows that locker room like TB12.
I was thinking the very same thing.

Its a page out of the early days of Thy Dynasty.

What'll be interesting is if they win, what will players say (no one believed us. no one thought we had a chance, bla.)

Personally, I think the whole David versus Goliath thing in pro sports is ridiculous.
There is a salary cap. No team is limited in what they are allowed to do.
This is not Alabama vs. Grambling State.
I’m kind of tired of hearing Julian Edelman and Brady go on and on about the underdog thing. It was cute in the beginning but I’m done with it.
Go play the game. Then talk afterwards about how everyone doubted you.

What does it say about our player personnel management if the other team is such a big Goliath and we are the Davids?

Personally, I think the whole David versus Goliath thing in pro sports is ridiculous.
There is a salary cap. No team is limited in what they are allowed to do.
This is not Alabama vs. Grambling State.
I’m kind of tired of hearing Julian Edelman and Brady go on and on about the underdog thing. It was cute in the beginning but I’m done with it.
Go play the game. Then talk afterwards about how everyone doubted you.

What does it say about our player personnel management if the other team is such a big Goliath and we are the Davids?

I don't mind it, because it is better than seeing them unemotional/flat. A pissed off Brady has historically done major damage, so I take no issue in him talking himself into a pissed off state.

I don't think this goes past this game. The weak record on the road doesn't apply there.

I don't mind it, because it is better than seeing them unemotional/flat. A pissed off Brady has historically done major damage, so I take no issue in him talking himself into a pissed off state.

I don't think this goes past this game. The weak record on the road doesn't apply there.

I think it would absolutely go past this game. They aren’t trying to play the underdog card because of their road record. They are playing it because they can, regardless of its accuracy. This team gets about 20 “end of an era” articles after every loss. They might as well use this to motivate themsleves like 31 other teams do every time they step on the field against Bradychick.

Underdog, decline, done, 'cliff' or whatever the only thing about any of it that gets my attention is Brady legitimately seemed pissed off. And a pissed off Tom F Brady is a very dangerous thing for the guys on the other side of the ball to face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes