PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are the Pats the only NFL team with just 2 QBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean in the same vein that we could use Sopoaga as a TE, or Wilfork to placekick?

What would give you any sense of confidence that Edelman could run our offense at a quarterback in this system? Has he taken any practice reps or gotten any looks in preseason games?

I don't think too many would consider Julian Edelman as a candiate to play backup QB, unless it were to run out a game in garbage time by handing the ball off, which just about anyone could do.

I'd guess that Edelman has gotten a small number of practice reps in the Wildcat-like package Tebow was tried in. I'd further guess that if he had to play, he'd be instructed not to pass unless a guy was truly wide open.

I'd guess that Edelman has gotten a small number of practice reps in the Wildcat-like package Tebow was tried in. I'd further guess that if he had to play, he'd be instructed not to pass unless a guy was truly wide open.

I'd GUESS NOT.

Opinion I suppose you would argue.

- BUT in 4 years with the Pats Edeldude has thrown exactly ONE pass attempt and that came in a ST trick play, was thrown in the dirt in a HORRIBLE DECISION, and very nearly was a critical turn-over if not for a GREAT PLAY by Talib.

As I continue to say OVER AND OVER 5'9" guys DONT play QB in this league ANYMORE. The league has changed into a prolific passing league at the same time that OL and DL have both increased their avg height by almost 6" since the days of Flutie. Drew Brees has to go through machinations to see to throw (standing on tiptoes in the pocket at times) and he is over 6'0".

You can't plan that Edeldude would consistently have NO ONE in his face if he was in a wildcat package. And that is the only way he could throw (if at all - statistical point of ONE is slim data to base on but .000 batting avg (0-1) is pretty bad.)

I expect the number of players at a particular position corresponds to the likelihood that a player may be injured and need replacing. Also, I suspect the QB3 or QB4 may only be marginally better than the JAG FA off the street if called upon to start. In how many games have two QBs been injured of late? In the past, I suspect BB may have seen value in the player himself (ie., trade value) when he kept more than 2 QBs.

Literally every other team has at least three QBs on the payroll.

The Patriots are the only team in the entire NFL that isn't currently paying at least three QBs.

Any thought on why?

• Because they only need two?

I think I'll just accept the judgment of a future HOF Coach, who is arguably the greatest HC of all time.

75399-Tom-Brady-angry-gif-Imgur-ZYCp.gif

Because Ironman plays quarterback for this team. :cool:

As I continue to say OVER AND OVER 5'9" guys DONT play QB in this league ANYMORE. The league has changed into a prolific passing league at the same time that OL and DL have both increased their avg height by almost 6" since the days of Flutie. Drew Brees has to go through machinations to see to throw (standing on tiptoes in the pocket at times) and he is over 6'0".

You can't plan that Edeldude would consistently have NO ONE in his face if he was in a wildcat package. And that is the only way he could throw (if at all - statistical point of ONE is slim data to base on but .000 batting avg (0-1) is pretty bad.)

Julian Edelman | Kent State, WR : 2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Russell Wilson | Wisconsin, QB : 2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Pretty much the same height as Russell Wilson. Isn't he a pretty decent QB in the league?

That you use a website with data that is not correct on Edeldude does not impact my conclusion - analysis.

Russell Wilson is listed as 5'11" on your site (as well as Sea official); which I will assume is true but caveat with saying is that 5'11" .25, .5, .75???? I dont believe he is rounded up to meet that # but possibly even closer to 6' than Edeldude is to 5'10".

NE Patriots official website says:
11 Edelman, Julian WR 5-10" 198lb 27age 5 yrs Kent State

And that 5-10 is being generous and ROUNDING UP. The difference [to Wilson] is actually [IMO] at least 2".

SEA official website says:

3 Wilson, Russell QB 5-11" 206lb 24age 2 yrs Wisconsin

In addition to the ACTUAL height difference; there is a substantial difference between a guy who has 3 years of NFL TRAINING AS A QB and REAL GAME EXPERIENCE and a guy whose last time playing the position was what 5 years ago IN COLLEGE!!

SHORT OF IT: AINT HAPPENING - STOP THE WISHFUL THINKING.

Last edited:
As a clarification: I'm not specifically asking why there isn't a third QB on the 53; about a third of NFL teams are doing that. I'm wondering why there isn't even a third QB on the PS, which essentially no other team has done.

I'd GUESS NOT.

- BUT in 4 years with the Pats Edeldude has thrown exactly ONE pass attempt and that came in a ST trick play, was thrown in the dirt in a HORRIBLE DECISION, and very nearly was a critical turn-over if not for a GREAT PLAY by Talib.

So who do you think is the Patriots' most likely emergency QB, and on what do you base your guess?

And that 5-10 is being generous and ROUNDING UP. The difference [to Wilson] is actually [IMO] at least 2".

5'10" for Edelman is actually rounding DOWN; he's 5'10.5" by his own words (back when the roster listed him as 6'0").

'Cause we don't need no friggin 3rd string quarterback!

Shout all you wish.

Folks are trying to figure out who would be the emergency QB if say Mallett were hurt in practice today and was unavailable for the game Sunday.

Obviously, Brady would play every down. However, what if he needed to be out for a few plays? WHO IS OUR EMERGENCY QUARTERBACK?

That you use a website with data that is not correct on Edeldude does not impact my conclusion - analysis.

Russell Wilson is listed as 5'11" on your site (as well as Sea official); which I will assume is true but caveat with saying is that 5'11" .25, .5, .75???? I dont believe he is rounded up to meet that # but possibly even closer to 6' than Edeldude is to 5'10".

SEA official website says:

3 Wilson, Russell QB 5-11" 206lb 24age 2 yrs Wisconsin

In addition to the ACTUAL height difference; there is a substantial difference between a guy who has 3 years of NFL TRAINING AS A QB and REAL GAME EXPERIENCE and a guy whose last time playing the position was what 5 years ago IN COLLEGE!!

SHORT OF IT: AINT HAPPENING - STOP THE WISHFUL THINKING.

Except for the fact that Wilson measured 5-10 5/8" at the combine.

Edelman was 5-10 3/8" at his pro-day.

So despite your hilarious theory of the Seahawks rounding down and the Patriots rounding up(both of which you were wrong about) there is only a 1/4" difference.

I'd GUESS NOT.

Edes is 5'10" as is Seattle's Wilson 5'10 1/2"

That said Edes is NOT a viable option as 3rd B. Even Brady said he sucks.

Edes is 5'10" as is Seattle's Wilson 5'10 1/2"

That said Edes is NOT a viable option as 3rd B. Even Brady said he sucks.

You don't need a "viable" option. You need someone who can take snaps, hand them off, and maybe run a wildcat package or two. The game IS over if Brady and Mallet are both down and the team is behind. Edelman as emergency QB is just to get the game over with as soon as possible & look for FA QBs.

Because BB is heading off any potential QB controversy. Genius!

And how would it be terrible to have a quarterback on the Practice Squad who might compete with Mallett in 2014?

How would it terrible to have a player on the Practice Squad would might compete for the backup position in 2015?

Because BB is heading off any potential QB controversy. Genius!

Shout all you wish.

Folks are trying to figure out who would be the emergency QB if say Mallett were hurt in practice today and was unavailable for the game Sunday.

Obviously, Brady would play every down. However, what if he needed to be out for a few plays? WHO IS OUR EMERGENCY QUARTERBACK?

Why aren't there 10 linebackers? Why aren't there 15 defensive linemen? Why aren't there 12 offensive linemen?

Would you feel better if a Curtis Painter was backing up Mallett? He is absolutely useless, will know the system, but does little to help the team win. He occupies a roster spot that may be used more productively, and is the probabilistic equivalent of buying asteroid insurance, in the event one goes crashing into your home.

In the past 12 years, they lost Brady for one season. In 2008, the Pats needed the QB3 to back up the starting QB2. Mallett remains on the team with knowledge of the system. If you go down the road of "What do we do if both fall?", then you may as well assume the opposing defense is so dominating the game that you are likely to lose the QB3 as well, so why not have a QB4 as insurance.

I suspect if a team terminates Brady and Mallett in one game, then JE probably would take the snaps. But get real - at that point, the game is probably over because that other team is killing the Pats. If they don't go down in the same day, then there are plenty of JAG FAs to throw in the position.

It is a case of insurance versus optimal use of the roster. I would go with the latter.

It was established during the preseason that the 53rd spot on the roster was the most critical spot on the entire roster, and could not be expended on a developmental QB, like many other teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3