PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are more teams switching to 3-4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bottom line is the 3-4 works and is proving to be a good base for dealing with spread offense teams (look at the headaches the 3-4 has given Peyton Manning all these years).

Then why doesn't the AFC South teams adopt the 3-4 seeing as their biggest obstacle to them winning the division title is Indianapolis. Correct me if I'm wrong, all of the teams in the AFC South employ the 4-3.

prolly cuz they're ignorant

Then why doesn't the AFC South teams adopt the 3-4 seeing as their biggest obstacle to them winning the division title is Indianapolis. Correct me if I'm wrong, all of the teams in the AFC South employ the 4-3.

how many times have those teams won the AFC south with manning in the division :rolleyes:

But you fail to mention the Eagles, the Vikings, the Bengals....

More importantly, three of the final four teams in the playoffs ran the 4-3.

i didnt "fail" to mention anything
of the 5 top Ds in the league 4 of them are 3-4 teams
last decade 6 of the 10 winners ran the 3-4
in college there arent alot of teams tat run the 3-4 so young offensive lineman coming into the NFL have trouble playing against it

Pundits always make a big deal out of how the Pats show a new look each week, on both offense and defense, which means more often than not the other teams are 'doing what they do.'
-- Jack Del Rio doesn't change.
-- Jeff Fisher is a Buddy Ryan "46" survivor, he's dain bramaged.
-- Gary Kubiak can't get his offense going, how do we expect him to fix his defense?

Fairbanks brought the 3-4 to the NFL. Earnhart, Bullough were on the staff. Parcells and BB are from the Fairbanks tree although they didnt work for him.

That's not how trees work. If that were true everyone in Hollywood would be on Kevin Bacon's tree.

A trees branches are connected to the tree, not near the tree, influenced by the tree etc.

Not everyone gets there own tree. Working one year for a spectacularly unsuccesful coach who happened to be an assistant to a succesful coach at one time does not constitute a tree. Erhardt was a withered branch. The tree does not grow off a branch.

If Parcells were said to have a somewhat succesful connection to Fairbanks, it would be through Ray Perkins, who actually was instrumental in Parcells career. Again, Parcells was still at Texas Tech (working on a 3-4 defense with romeo too, I believe) when Perkins last coached with the Patriots and didn't become Defensive coordinator under him until 4 years later.

Some actual trees and lists of relationships. Not everyone who ever worked for someone who worked for someone else is considered to be part of a "tree".

NFL Head Coaching Trees Sports Analysis
NFL Forum :: - It's "Who Ya Know"...Coaching Tree's anyone???
NFL Head Coaching Trees Sports Analysis
Sports Central / Sports Articles and Columns / NFL / The NFL Coaching Tree 2008 (Pt. 1)

NFL coaching trees - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fairbanks was the first to use the 3-4 defense as a base, but not the first to use it in the NFL. Bud Wilkinson had used it at Oklahoma years before starting in the 1940's.

Others who had used it somewhat.

Bill Arnsparger Dolphins
Bum Phillips Oilers
Hank Stram Chiefs

Joe Collier Bills

“We initially used it in 1964, but we used it quite a bit against San Diego in 1965 in the AFL Championship Game,” Collier said of a 23-0 Bills victory that gave them their second title contest victory in as many seasons over the Chargers, the top-scoring team in the league that year. “But for the most part, we didn’t use it. It was not a big part of our defense, maybe for just five or six plays.

History of the 3-4 Defense Browns Gab

I think your selling erhardt a bit short. He only won 2 superbowls with the giants, went to another with pitts, and his system won 3 more with NE. On D BB himself said its the same playbook and terminology as Fairbanks/Bullough/Miller.

New England Patriots strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gram parsons music tree extends into all of country Rock music, however im sure Bono and the edge never got to Jam with Gram.

In my best BB impression, "It doesn't matter if you run a 4-3 or 3-4. What matters is execution."

In my best BB impression, "It doesn't matter if you run a 4-3 or 3-4. What matters is execution."

But you still need the players, the talent on defense.

The defense must have play-makers not just a collection of players that understand the system. Those players will be limited by the limitations in their talent. They just aren't that good.

The Patriots really need to improve the defense to the point where teams are thinking about their defense again. Like you would think about Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

But you still need the players, the talent on defense.

The defense must have play-makers not just a collection of players that understand the system. Those players will be limited by the limitations in their talent. They just aren't that good.

The Patriots really need to improve the defense to the point where teams are thinking about their defense again. Like you would think about Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

That IS the point. He's say that no matter how much coaching is done, ultimately, it's up to the players to think and execute in the game. When it goes well, he always credits the players, and when it goes bad, he always absorbs the blame and says he needs to coach better. Players are definitely key. Basic formations don't matter as much as in game adjustments.

I think your selling erhardt a bit short. He only won 2 superbowls with the giants, went to another with pitts, and his system won 3 more with NE. On D BB himself said its the same playbook and terminology as Fairbanks/Bullough/Miller.

21-28. That is short. Yes, lots of teams use borrowed defenses. No one said they didn't. If you want me to argue with you you need to come up with better points.

Sports Central / Sports Articles and Columns / NFL / The NFL Coaching Tree 2008 (Pt. 2)

I pasted links that were the same earlier, but here's one that's two pages and goes from trees to forests, way back before Fairbanks, but only lists him as an influence on Ray Perkins.

It's a tree, it's not influence. Crosby Stills and Nash, Loggins and Messina and Poco come from the Buffalo Springfield tree.

Forget the Byrds, Hollies and the rest. There's a tree, it branches. It's not influence, they're attached.

I understand Ron was a failure as a head coach but by your logic Buffalo Springfield would be the Ron Erhardt of rock music they were never a major commercial success. They dont deserve their own tree.

Last edited:
I understand Ron was a failure as a head coach but by your logic Buffalo Springfield would be the Ron Erhardt of rock music they were never a major commercial success. They dont deserve their own tree.

If Ron Erhardt had lasted at least 5 years say, trained Parcells, Belichick and Coughlin, he would have a tree based on directly mentoring three top coaches.

This conversation, like a lot these days for some reason, has deteriorated into a nonsense argument, so I'm dropping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe