PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are ALL our SBs close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagg

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
NFL Network had Seattle SB on last night and I got nervous watching it even though I knew the outcome! We outplayed them so bad in the first half and should have lead 21 to 7 but Brady threw a pick going in and we let Seattle score a TD on a 30 second 80 yd drive, so it was 14 to 14.

All that got me thinking win or lose we are always in a nail biter! I grew up really watching football from about 1979 to present. Superbowls back then were just awful, never close, always blowouts, teams just making a ton of mistakes and turnovers. Doesnt math take over at some point and the probability says one of these isnt going to be a 3 to 4pt win or loss?

Why cant a team just come out fumble the opening kickoff and basically crap their pants. Just once I dont want to be pacing my living room. Seems crazy these are always so close.

Also saw a stat that shocked me but in 8 SBs we scored 3pts in the first quarter combined! Just once I want to see us come out hot and get the scoring rolling early.

Michael holly once predicted the Pat's would win a superbowl going away before this dynasty runs its course.

That was 4 or 5 years ago.

He better be right this year.

We start off so slow. I think the team in the BB/TB era, have only scored a total of 3pts in all of the SB 1st quarters played.

Edit: OP mentioned the 3 pts

Also saw a stat that shocked me but in 8 SBs we scored 3pts in the first quarter combined! Just once I want to see us come out hot and get the scoring rolling early.

This may shock you as well, in SB 42 the Pats scored a TD on their opening possession.

That's right, their opening possession ended in the 2nd quarter.

God help me I love the edge of the seat feeling in sports.
But it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings any to see a Pats blowout and my digestive track would sure as hell appreciate it

In my opinion here's why: outside of Tom Brady, the team's starters who play most of the snaps are usually not as "talented" as the other teams' starters are. Oh we've had stars over the years, but it's rare that we have someone like Gronk or Moss who was widely recognized as the best at their position.

Belichick's genius is getting a team of capable players together -- generally not stars, but not roster fodder either -- and coaching them up to use the best techniques possible, to use their smarts as best as possible, and to come up with the best possible strategies. He also has great role players to complement the weaknesses of those starters.

This approach produces winning teams and can produce blowouts over lesser teams in the regular season. By the time they reach the playoffs and the Super Bowl, they're competing against the best of the best. That creates razor thin margins by the time you reach the end when everything's on the line.

Here's the real mind game, though,...........

If for some reason you flew to space for the month, came back and were told the pats won the Super Bowl, how would you want it to happen (close one, or blowout).

I complain about the nailbiters too, but when you win it's insane pandemonium.

Sure, losing the nail biters sucks, but in a way makes winning that much sweeter

That’s always one of the mind boggling things to me. How can 8 Super Bowls all basically come down to the final drive of the game? A big blowout win would be awesome.

I will say, one nice thing about the close Pats wins is that it means all the Pats haters get their hopes up, only to get them crushed as they see Brady and company jumping around in joy. If we were up, say, 35-10 in the third quarter, the haters would just turn the game off and put on Netflix or whatever.

Pats get ball first I think this year's SB will have better chance since we saw how it played out vs LA & KC. Could be a continuation of riding BIG MO early and often.

NFL Network had Seattle SB on last night and I got nervous watching it even though I knew the outcome! We outplayed them so bad in the first half and should have lead 21 to 7 but Brady threw a pick going in and we let Seattle score a TD on a 30 second 80 yd drive, so it was 14 to 14.

All that got me thinking win or lose we are always in a nail biter! I grew up really watching football from about 1979 to present. Superbowls back then were just awful, never close, always blowouts, teams just making a ton of mistakes and turnovers. Doesnt math take over at some point and the probability says one of these isnt going to be a 3 to 4pt win or loss?

Why cant a team just come out fumble the opening kickoff and basically crap their pants. Just once I dont want to be pacing my living room. Seems crazy these are always so close.

Brady is GOAT but he has a fair amount of quite short, in the End Zone, interceptions in Super Bowls and playoffs for my liking...

Ok like 3 so sue me.

It's not just Patriot Super Bowls. Most have been pretty close games since the mid-1990s, especially when compared to those of the first 25 years. I think it may be due to the advent of free agency and the difficulty teams have in stockpiling players. The level playing field extends to the Super Bowl.

I swear Bill coaches it to keep it close so the other team doesn't blow them out. Like @Hammer of Thor says, it's razor think margins. Perhaps he does it to reduce risk? I have no idea really. It's not like they haven't soundly beaten some very good teams during the EIGHTEEN YEAR RUN. The '04 team beat Manning and Co 20-3, and then spanked Pittsburgh 41-27. Blew out the '12 Texans, the '11 Broncos, the '13 and '14 Colts, the '16 Colts and Steelers were very one sided, and then the Chargers this year. I dunno, it has to be by design, I just can't figure out why. Maybe Bill is like the son in the Incredibles, and he made a deal with his Dad Mr. Incredible to keep it close.

Just win by a little, son. OK??

I know that's the dumbest thing ever. I have no idea. I just want one where the bourbon flows and I sit in my chair going YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS the whole time.

how many SB in the 2000's have been blowouts? 1 maybe 2. TB over Oakland, Seattle over Denver. League parity does show up in these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST