PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's Up and Who's Down after the Eagles game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mallett showed why he's only a QB3. If the Eagles hadn't bailed him out, we'd probably be calling for his head.

Yeah, I'm not as high on Mallett's performance as some, but it's going to take some time to properly assess him in my opinion.

I think the complexity of the offense is going to be tough for anyone to grasp right off the bat myself, but it is good to see him hanging in there and checking through the progressions at times.

He did some stuff right in my opinion, but I still don't want him as our 2.

That said, I really do think that he has more upside than Hoyer, but he may/may not get to show that this preseason. I would think that next TC and preseason will be very important for him.

As much as I value QB12's opinion, here is Mike Reiss' take on the up/down list:

Up
Deion Branch -- Veteran receiver plays into the fourth quarter and shows he is still running well, putting himself in position to seize the No. 3 spot on the depth chart. Finishes with 3 catches for 51 yards.

Nate Ebner -- Rookie safety plays from the second quarter to the end of the fourth, picking up valuable experience in addition to an interception at the end of the second quarter that showed solid ball skills.

Stephen Gostkowski -- Solid night for the kicker, who hits field goals from 51, 35 and 55 yards.

Down
Brandon Bolden -- Rookie running back muffs a second-quarter punt that the Eagles recover, taking the momentum away from the Patriots after they built an 11-0 lead.

Marcus Cannon -- Right tackle appears to be slow out of his stance and can't block Phillip Hunt, who strip-sacks quarterback Brian Hoyer in the second quarter. Overall, protection on the edges seemed suspect.

Nate Solder -- More growing pains in the transition from the retired Matt Light to Solder, as the 2011 first-round draft choice is beaten on the edge multiple times.

As much as I value QB12's opinion, here is Mike Reiss' take on the up/down list:...Nate Solder -- More growing pains in the transition from the retired Matt Light to Solder, as the 2011 first-round draft choice is beaten on the edge multiple times.

Good job by Reiss to mention Solder. He's still struggling against both strength and speed, and that's not good. Some of it's technique, but I still worry about his functional strength.

Exactly the opposite is true. He had all that time to break up the pass and didn't.

Let me get this straight. The longer the play goes on due to no pass rush is an advantage to the defensive back? Really?

I'll give you credit for taking the road less traveled with that argument.

Mallett showed why he's only a QB3. If the Eagles hadn't bailed him out, we'd probably be calling for his head.

Yeah having the opportunity to play with out first team weapons and the starting OL in tact against the Eagle starters...... oh wait....... :rolleyes:

Yeah having the opportunity to play with out first team weapons and the starting OL in tact against the Eagle starters...... oh wait....... :rolleyes:

Given that this is a "who's up and down" about this one game, how about we rate them based upon how they did with the hand they were dealt, and not with the fantasy world of what we wanted them to have around them?

Also, that pick he threw, for example, wasn't because of who was out there. It was because he made a very poor decision.

Last edited:
I saw a lot of anti-Solder stuff on twitter when I thought he was having a respectable (not great or bad) game. So I went back and watched the first half play by play to see what I missed and he was even better than I thought he was. I'd call him solid to good tonight, particularly given the quality of competition he faced.

He was going up against an elite pass rusher in Cole and more than held his own. I think it's probably a case of people overreacting to the play he got blown up by Cole (and Cole still didn't really get major pressure as he fell down himself). I thought it was a nice bounce back performance for him after a brutal 1st game.

Marcus Cannon, on the other hand, yeesh. He was dominated repeatedly, and that wasn't Jason Babin out there. Hope Solder and Vollmer stay healthy, because I hate our OT depth.

I also think the Brandon Bolden in the down category is unfair. So he muffed a punt when he'll never, ever see that role during the regular season. I'd say his great tackle on special teams in a role he'll actually play outweighed that as well as some hard, physical running, which is all you can really ask for with no holes being opened in the run game.

Last edited:
Down:

Stallworth

Didn't show any moves or a 2nd gear to get separation. May have been just a bad day but if this game is typical, he isn't making the team.

Cannon
Koppen

I would say the whole line belongs here. I would also say that I'm holding off getting too critical until next week. The Saints and Eagles are difficult teams to block. Better to learn hard lessons now than in Tennessee in a couple of weeks.

Mike Rivera

Yuck. Always a day late and a dollar short. Unless I'm missing his importance on ST, the PS is looking like a more realistic goal.

Sterling Moore[

He is what he is. Maybe people's expectations are too high.

I'll give him props for taking one for the team. It has to be tough on Mallett always taking 3rd team snaps and being criticized for being inconsistent. Hoyer felt his pain this week (though his spot at #2 is secure). Mallett gets to spring for beers after the QB meetings this week.

Up:

Branch

Um, I guess. No real complaints and he has been out for a while...but I'm still not seeing good separation. Clever routes and good hands, but can he still get open? This game didn't convince me.

Didn't he look like he belonged out there? Seemed instinctual and was around the ball a lot. Not perfect but WAAAAAAAY above what I was expecting. If he can take 4th safety snaps, he really solidifies his spot on the roster.

Gostskowski

Seems to have straightened out his hook/fade issues (pun intended).

I would like to add a team "Up" award since the Eagles were using this game as their tune-up for the regular season. The Pats were strictly vanilla on offense and defense but the team was determined to hang tough with a superior opponent. Bonus is that I didn't catch any major injuries (assuming Chung is OK).

Last edited:
Given that this is a "who's up and down" about this one game, how about we rate them based upon how they did with the hand they were dealt, and not with the fantasy world of what we wanted them to have around them?

Also, that pick he threw, for example, wasn't because of who was out there. It was because he made a very poor decision.

If I were keeping 2 QB's based on tonight's game and considering that Hoyer will be a FA next year Mallet easy.

Anything over 20 yards Hoyer has to put way too much air under the ball. Mallett made 1 bad decision (and was bailed out by the refs), but also had some drops and moved well in the pocket.

If I were keeping 2 QB's based on tonight's game and considering that Hoyer will be a FA next year Mallet easy.

Anything over 20 yards Hoyer has to put way too much air under the ball. Mallett made 1 bad decision (and was bailed out by the refs), but also had some drops and moved well in the pocket.

Neither QB shined, and Hoyer was clearly having communication issues with his receivers. On the other hand, Hoyer was smart enough not to toss that gift INT to the sidelines, and was the victim of drops just as Mallett was.

If I were keeping 2 QBs based upon tonight, Mallett would be on the trading block in the morning.

As much as I value QB12's opinion, here is Mike Reiss' take on the up/down list:

Up
Deion Branch -- Veteran receiver plays into the fourth quarter and shows he is still running well, putting himself in position to seize the No. 3 spot on the depth chart. Finishes with 3 catches for 51 yards.

Nate Ebner -- Rookie safety plays from the second quarter to the end of the fourth, picking up valuable experience in addition to an interception at the end of the second quarter that showed solid ball skills.

Stephen Gostkowski -- Solid night for the kicker, who hits field goals from 51, 35 and 55 yards.

Down
Brandon Bolden -- Rookie running back muffs a second-quarter punt that the Eagles recover, taking the momentum away from the Patriots after they built an 11-0 lead.

Marcus Cannon -- Right tackle appears to be slow out of his stance and can't block Phillip Hunt, who strip-sacks quarterback Brian Hoyer in the second quarter. Overall, protection on the edges seemed suspect.

Nate Solder -- More growing pains in the transition from the retired Matt Light to Solder, as the 2011 first-round draft choice is beaten on the edge multiple times.

Gotta disagree on Bolden he was doing something he probably had never done in a game before. When running the ball he looked pretty good (whe he wasn't bein hit while getting the ball).

Cunningham, Brace & Love also looked very good tonight.

How about Jake Bequette getting some pressure late in the game?

Also Edelman making some plays in the passing game, and also solidifying his hold on punt returns via Bolden's bad night as returner.

And Silvestro doing what no Jet has done this season: find the end zone while holding a football. Not bad for a guy playing offense for only his second week.

Down: Red zone defense.

Scores after the fumbles were givens. That the scores were TDs is on the defense.

Down: The entire New England Patriots offensive line

Gotta disagree on Bolden he was doing something he probably had never done in a game before. When running the ball he looked pretty good (whe he wasn't bein hit while getting the ball).

Cunningham, Brace & Love also looked very good tonight.

I certainly agree on your take of the defensive players. It's great to see Love and Cunningham making nice strides of late (although Love has been doing that for awhile now). I'm still not sold on Brace, but he's looked good in run heavy packages before, and I think he makes it again this year.

I'm heading towards PS for Bolden myself, we'll have to see how that one shakes out.

Wow surprised nobody put C.Jones as down since he didn't have 2 strip sacks the ten or so plays he was out there... What's this board coming to?!?!

Agree with the 'ups' - Branch wins against Stallworth; looking for Gost to kick like that in the regular and post seasons; Ebner great read and catch, looked good going forward as well.

Good flashes - Cunningham, Carpenter, Brace and Love

Downs - Cannon (as everyone has said); Koppen, please Waters return so we can move Connoly to C; tackling - it has to be practiced, especially Dowling who went high on every tackle and lost more ground that the play deserved. KR/PR still no better than last year.

Hard to be harsh when playing vanilla 2/3s against scheming 1s - so extra +s all round making the Downs just mildly disappointing.

Wow surprised nobody put C.Jones as down since he didn't have 2 strip sacks the ten or so plays he was out there... What's this board coming to?!?!

Down : C. Jones

My biggest concern still remains Solder.

Down: Ebner, for only getting 1 INT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick