PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's Up and Who's Down after the Eagles game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dowling had a pretty good game. He was consistently shutting down his reciever and was always around the ball. Good jams. The tackling could be improved of course

Overall, I thought the secondary play was pretty good across the board.

Cannon was bad. Penalties were bad. OL had numerous timing issues. Hoyer was jittery. Running game wasn't what you'd expect.

I think it might take this offense a few weeks of regular season games to really gel. They're really quite far from where you would want.

Down:

Stallworth
Cannon
Koppen
Mike Rivera
Sterling Moore
Hoyer

Up:

Branch
Ebner
Gostskowski

Replace Koppen with Wendell, and I am in complete agreement.
Stallworth can't separate & can't catch in traffic;
Cannon & Solder were awful, again, esp Cannon;
Rivera simply isn't an NFL player;
I wasn't impressed w/ Glas-IR, either; he appeared to avoid contact at all costs.

To my eyes, Moore has regressed.

I don't see how you get that from a very solid game in week 1 to a game where he was matched up 1-on-1 with the likes of Desean Jackson for the majority of his outing. He's the 4th corner for crying out loud! He faired reasonably well and it wasn't like on the long gainer he had poor positioning on him....he only trailed a little and there was no safety in the area...whether there should have been or not I don't know as we don't know what the play was.

Last edited:
Regarding Sterling Moore on the Jackson completion, my initial thought (without rewatching the game a second time) is that he was beat in initially but with the ball slightly behind the receiver, it gave Moore the opportunity to catch up.

To me it looks that he may even have had the opportunity to deflect the ball in the air if he had made a leap, but I am guessing he saw no safety help and made the decision to go for a safe tackle rather than risk a touchdown. Without knowing the exact coverage, responsibilities and coach's emphasis (sometimes the player is asked to play a certain technique), it is difficult to judge where blame ultimately lies.

Also, Ras I Dowling was not mentioned much during the game, yet I believe he played a lot of snaps so that has to be a good thing for a DB. Pending further review (of course).

Can they coach Ebner up to pay SS in the box? Chung's got a wonky shoulder and probably won't be 100% week 1.

So Chung got injured again?

EDIT: I just heard about it. I find it hard to believe the Pats will offer him a new contract at this point. The guy spends more time on the sidelines than on the field. I don't know if there's been a more frustrating player to me in recent memory. He shows all the flashes but can't stay on the da*m field.

Last edited:
Dowling had a pretty good game. He was consistently shutting down his reciever and was always around the ball. Good jams. The tackling could be improved of course

Cannon was bad. Penalties were bad. OL had numerous timing issues. Hoyer was jittery. Running game wasn't what you'd expect.

I think it might take this offense a few weeks of regular season games to really gel. They're really quite far from where you would want.

And exactly where did we expect the Patriots 2nd/3d stringers to be at this stage of the pre-season?

Are you even aware of the skills players we had missing?

Funny stuff, man.....funny stuff.

Up......Foles....QB.....Phil. Eagles

Best QB on the field last night....despite that horrendous hairdoo.

Hoyer....I have come to the conclusion that Hoyer possesses NO NFL starting QB skills. His two biggest assets are....he knows the play book and he takes reps in practice to save Brady's arm.

Mallet.....it's a shame the O line is such a shambles forcing McDaniels to work the screen game excessively. The play calling had the feel of the beginning of the Cassell starting season. I would like to see what Mallet could do in Green Bays offense with down field speed targets. The kid shows toughness and that big arm is a tease.....waiting for it to be unleashed. That big body seems to have an awful lot of moving parts though that aren't always in sync. The even lankier Foles looks more natural....Bradylike back in the early years

Overall....the O line has killed any chance for us to get a real feel for either of these two QBs. I do believe that if Mallet had a sturdy pocket, he has tremendous upside....but he needs a heavy dose of mechanics coaching

UP-
The whole 'starting' D-Line:
Brace - he really played well
Love - relentless
Jones - keeps getting better
Cunningham- most complete effort I've ever seen from him

Spikes and Hightower were good together
Dowling seemed solid
Branch - looked fluid
Gostkowski- drilled some long ones with ease

Down -
Cannon, though he had company on the line
Chung- for getting hurt again

Bequette was up and down. Up as a quick productive pass rusher.
Down as a dude who looked thin and unstable setting the edge on runs.

Thought Dowling looked very good last night.

And hey. No injury for him which is always a bonus.

Tough game to assess because of the situation two HC's set up. Eagles have some talented depth on that DL. Andy might want to hang on to Foles. Vick once again proved he is who I said he is, an injury waiting to happen who can't help himself. And the whole defense again lacked discipline to the point I still wonder what it is that leads pundits to faun over Reid as some coaching icon who won't allow this, or will not tolerate that... Get ready for another season of underachieving pie in the sky goals Eagles fans...

That said they represented a tough matchup for our backups yet overall they more than held there own. Had Vick not gone down early we might just have prevailed. Had we started all of our first stringers it wouldn't have been close.

Ups and downs for us are tough as there were players who experienced both. Mallett would be in that group as he showed better than he has at times but had he not been bailed out on that TD drive multiple times it never transpires. He was essentially working with the receivers he largely works with in practice. Hoyer was working with guys he doesn't work with nearly as much, and that showed in numerous miscues. Overall he handled the team better and he made some of his best throws for naught. Stallworth was what I feared he'd be, a guy who doesn't get seperation vs. press and needs it because he cannot consistently catch the ball in traffic or tight coverage. Branch was Branch even without the mind meld. Great routes, creates just enough seperation and catches the damn ball. Would still have liked to see what both QB's would have done with our top receiving weapons (or even half of them) on the field because that is what the situation would be if ever they are called on in season.

Until further notice this OL is what it is. Hopefully that isn't what it is in 3 weeks with Mankins, Vollmer and please god Waters back.

On defense there were more bright spots. Our depth guys can play. Even as a unit. As can some but not all end of the roster guys. At least not as a group, which again is something they will never be asked to do in season. We do appear to have some rushers. And until late we appear to be pretty good against the run.

Bill may have hoped to have showcased his excess talent to the point it's got potential trade value. Not sure he didn't just make it harder to slide some of it to the PS. Bolden for example was certainly on a clear path there after the punt muff, but he later redeemed himself both on the ground and in ST coverage.

Tons of holding went by the boards, but had they called it the Eagles would have topped 2 dozen penalties. The one area where the replacement will potentially impact us is tempo.

You will never see this offense on the field again unless it's at the tail end of the week 4 pre season game.

Neither QB shined, and Hoyer was clearly having communication issues with his receivers. On the other hand, Hoyer was smart enough not to toss that gift INT to the sidelines, and was the victim of drops just as Mallett was.

If I were keeping 2 QBs based upon tonight, Mallett would be on the trading block in the morning.

This is bad because its results based analysis.

Mallett last night was calm in the pocket and avoided the primary pass rush(which was getting through a lot) most of the time. He showed a lot of poise in the pocket, he had good footwork too. He was able to checkdown under pressure. He threw a real bad ball but thats not hugely important and he sure can improve a lot more but he showed real promise last night.

The INT that wasn't is unimportant when evaluating his performance last night because its only one ball.

Overall he showed a lot more last night than we've seen from him since he joined the Patriots.

Up......Foles....QB.....Phil. Eagles

Best QB on the field last night....despite that horrendous hairdoo.

Hoyer....I have come to the conclusion that Hoyer possesses NO NFL starting QB skills. His two biggest assets are....he knows the play book and he takes reps in practice to save Brady's arm.

Mallet.....it's a shame the O line is such a shambles forcing McDaniels to work the screen game excessively. The play calling had the feel of the beginning of the Cassell starting season. I would like to see what Mallet could do in Green Bays offense with down field speed targets. The kid shows toughness and that big arm is a tease.....waiting for it to be unleashed. That big body seems to have an awful lot of moving parts though that aren't always in sync. The even lankier Foles looks more natural....Bradylike back in the early years

Overall....the O line has killed any chance for us to get a real feel for either of these two QBs. I do believe that if Mallet had a sturdy pocket, he has tremendous upside....but he needs a heavy dose of mechanics coaching

I think Bill was banking on some hype inducing spin from the guy who loves all players, especially QB's. Unfortunately most of it went to Foles and Reid.

I think Hoyer struggled with the hand he was dealt as Brady would have. Thing is is doesn't make the bad decision or throw as often as Mallett. He's more advanced in the system and his WR's not named Branch simply couldn't keep up. Mallett spends more time with end of the roster receivers. Mallett might well be a decent fit on a more vertical less risk aversive offense. But you nailed it on the difference in natural fluidity between he and Foles. That's the knock on many of the too tall QB's. Would have been hard to focus on a vertical game last night between the OL and the only option being an uncompetitive target in Stallworth. Both QB's reach him deep more than once for naught. Would have been the same deal for Brady. But at the end of the day that is not going to be this teams bread and butter in the forseeable future anyway.

UP: Hightower, Love, Jones, Brace, Ebner, Cunningham, Mallett, Silvestro. Edit to add Branch to this list.

Down: Ebert, Cannon, Rivera, Solder, Stallworth.

Last edited:
Mallett showed why he's only a QB3. If the Eagles hadn't bailed him out, we'd probably be calling for his head.

Well I can't speak for "we", but his pocket presence, poise, and nice touch on his short passes had nothing to do with any Eagles penalties.

Neither QB shined, and Hoyer was clearly having communication issues with his receivers. On the other hand, Hoyer was smart enough not to toss that gift INT to the sidelines, and was the victim of drops just as Mallett was.

If I were keeping 2 QBs based upon tonight, Mallett would be on the trading block in the morning.

And what do you do next year when Hoyer leaves next year and Brady is 36?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back