Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who's Defense would you Rather have for the Playoff Run? Pats/Jets

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by brady199, Dec 30, 2010.

?

Which Defence would you rather have for the playoff run? Pats or Jets?

1. Pats

84 vote(s)
    90.3%
  2. Jets

9 vote(s)
    9.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brady199

brady199 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

In the beggining of the year it seemed rather obvious the Jets had the superior Defence. Since then it seem both teams Defences are on oppisite trajectories, with The Pats D getting better and the Jets D not living up to early Expectations.

So would you say the Pats D has surpassed the Jets D?

2. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0

yes........

3. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think the Jets defense would be better against the Pass when it comes to facing Elite QBs but I'll take the Pats D against the run,they seem to stop above average RBs

4. sieglo

sieglo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Can I take the Jets defense with the Pats' coaching staff??

5. deroc5050

deroc5050 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Jets Defense has not looked impressive in a long time.. barring a decent performance against the steelers.. who imo have a shaky offense. As of right now I would take the Pats defense.. they not only make more big plays but maybe its just my imagination but they seem to look more confident out there. Hopefully we have most of are D line going into the play offs. Which I think we will.

6. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +339 / 1 / -0

I'll take the one that opposing teams haven't completely figured out yet...

7. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Turnovers
    Patriots: 36 (1st)
    Jets: 24 (16th-T)

Interceptions
    Patriots: 24 (1st)
    Jets: 8 (32nd)

December PPG
    Patriots: 10
    Jets: 27.5

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  8. dex13

dex13 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +5 / 3 / -1

alright, whose the dumbass who voted for the Jets??

9. CheeseMonkeys

CheeseMonkeys 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

The Patriots have a good defense. Not great, but good. It is also well schemed under Bill Belichick and is improving every week. I think the Patriots Defense is in the early stages of what will eventually be a great defense in a few years.

10. *ChungFu*

*ChungFu* Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gotta go with Pats'. Even being newly resurrected as Patriots, the Jets defense has had its spirit, psyche and destiny reduced to FUBAR status and will take an off-season of spas, homeopathics and retreats to find itself.

11. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Some of the Pats defense may rely on how the young rookies react to a playoff atmosphere and the elevated play from opposing offenses.

12. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +309 / 58 / -28

#32 Jersey

Whats nice though is the bye week, 2 post season games and another bye week till the SB.

13. BrainTrust66

BrainTrust66 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's an interesting question, but I voted for the Pats and here is my reason:

Despite what Jets fans might tell you - POINTS ALLOWED is the most important defensive statistic. Since the Cleveland debacle the Pats have allowed 16.9 points per game, over the same span the Jets have allowed 23.9 PPG, which is exactly a touchdown more per game if my math serves me correctly.

This despite the youth of the team and the fact that the Pats have been shorthanded on the D-Line (and Spikes is out the final quarter of the season).

The Pats defense will be healthy, rested, hungry AND playing with a massive chip on their shoulders since the general consensus in the media is that they fall somewhere between "suspect" and "stinky."

The Jets defense believes the hype about themselves...I however, am not convinced.

14. 37Harrison

37Harrison 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -2

#37 Jersey

How is this even a question? Seriously?

I will take the Pats D over almost any D at this point. The way they are turning the ball over and stiffening up in the red zone is clutch. I could caare less if a team is able to march up and down the field as long as they continue to keep teams out of the end zone and/or turn the ball over.

The Jets D is not very impressive to me at all. They have a huge flaw in which they can't get pressure on the QB, something that the Pats D has improved upon. Revis isn't having a typical "Revis" year and Cromartie, while at times is great, is a liability in run support and can be burnt badly.

15. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,782 / 16 / -6

Right now, the Pats' defense is better than the Jets' defense. Neither can rush the passer particularly well, but the Pats have been better at it. I think the only position where the Jets currently have a clear edge is starting CBs.

Their d-line is nothing special and Wilfork is clearly the best player out of either team's d-linemen and #2 isn't even close.

The Jets' OLBs aren't much better than the Pats' OLBs. Pace looks to have gone from bust to a very good player to getting busted taking banned substances to being a bust again. Bryan Thomas other than a contract year a few years ago was never that good.

I will take Spikes and Mayo over Scott and Harris right now.

The Pats safeties are worlds better than the Jets' safeties.

There is a reason why the Pats had four defensive players make the Pro Bowl and the Jets only had one. Yes, Meriweather didn't deserve his selection, but the other three did.

16. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 0 / -3

If this question was asked in August or September and somebody answered 'Patriots', I would have said they were a delusional homer. But as of this moment I would have to wonder if anybody answered 'Jets' was the reverse: either a delusional Jets fan or paranoid chicken little Pats fan.

Consider the two teams most recent common opponent. Last week the Jets went to Chicago and the Bears scored 38 points. I was in a sports bar that had that game on a big screen right next to the Pats game, so I had a chance to watch a good portion of it; the 38 points was no fluke. There were a lot of very long plays by the Bears, of every style - running, passing, kick returns and punt returns. Remember how not that long ago people were suggesting teams shouldn't even bother trying to run the ball against the Jets? Well they were getting gashed time after time by Matt Forte. And as for their unstoppable pass defense, I think I saw four or five pass plays of 25 yards or more.

By comparison the same Bears team, on the same field scored all of 7 points two weeks earlier against the Pats. In the Bears first seven possessions against the Pats they punted five times and turned the ball over twice - one for 7 points for the Pats. By comparison the Bears scored six times against the Jets, plus had a field goal attempt go wide; there was a 32 minute stretch that lasted until the Jets final possession in which New York did not stop the Chicago offense once with either a punt or a turnover.

Sure, one game is a small sample size but as others have pointed out look at the last several games for each team. Yes, right now I will take the Patriots defense over the Jets defense heading into the playoffs.

17. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +44 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

18. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Everyone has made a great case for the Pats, and I'll add this. The Pats have much better fundamentals and discipline. Misdirection plays and play-action aren't the killers they were even in October, and perhaps the most important thing to note is this; the Pats D are better tacklers. In fact, this is the first time since around 2005-6ish that I can say the Pats have very sound tackling. Missed tackles still (and always will) happen, but they're much more obvious now.

This unit has tightened up in what has been a best-case scenario looking at this season from September's eyes. This year, the talk is about how "meh" the Pats D is, and next season people will wonder where in the hell this defense came from. We'll have seen it coming.

19. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 14 / -5

#51 Jersey

Form + superior coaching versus bravado + flash in the pan. At the beginning of the season this was a no brainer in favor of the Jets. Right now I'm not sure I'd want any other defense than the Patriots D.

As I've mentioned in countless threads, I thought 2012 would be their year. It appears that the D is starting to blossom ahead of that date. Let's hope they can ride this form through the playoffs and the whole team plays well.

20. KamikazeKnight

KamikazeKnight Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

December PPG
    Patriots: 10

:rocker:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.