PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who ranks as the top 5 greatest Patriots low round draft picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ronnie lippett, craig james

I was going to say Lippett, but I think James was a flash in the pan. James had one great year, one average year and three crappy years in the league.

Jim Nance was a 19th round draft pick.

I'd like to nominate the following:

Jim Nance - 19th round, 1965
Ray Hamilton - 14th round, 1973
Sam Hunt - 15th round, 1974
Steve Grogan - 5th round, 1975
Mosi Tatupu - 8th round, 1978
Lin Dawson - 8th round, 1981
Fred Marion - 8th round, 1982
Craig James - 7th round, 1983
Ronnie Lippett - 8th round, 1983
Ben Coates - 5th round, 1991
Troy Brown - 8th round, 1993
Tom Brady - 6th round, 2000
David Givens - 7th round, 2002
Matt Cassel - 7th round, 2005

Also worth mentioning: Randy Vataha was a 17th round pick by the Rams in 1971, was cut in pre-season, and picked up as a free agent - but doesn't count since he wasn't drafted by the Pats.

For my top five, I'll go with Brady, Nance, Coates, Brown and Grogan - though it's tough to leave off Hamilton and Hunt.

Are we only including Patriot draft picks? Adalius Thomas is pretty good for a sixth rounder.

1. Tom Brady, '00, 6th rnd, 199th overall
2. Troy Brown, '93, 8th rnd, 198th overall
3. Ray Hamilton, '73, 14th rnd, 342nd overall
4. Sam Hunt, '74, 15th rnd, 374th overall
5. Dan Koppen, '03, 5th rnd, 164th overall

Hon. mention:

John Smith, undrafted
Stephen Neal, undrafted
Steven Gostkowski, '06, 4th rnd, 118th overall
Jarvis Green, '02, 4th rnd, 126th overall

Mosi, Gash, Grogan

3rd rounders: Bruschi (86th overall) and Curtis Martin (74th overall)

1. Tom Brady, '00, 6th rnd, 199th overall
2. Troy Brown, '93, 8th rnd, 198th overall
3. Ray Hamilton, '73, 14th rnd, 342nd overall
4. Sam Hunt, '74, 15th rnd, 374th overall
5. Dan Koppen, '03, 5th rnd, 164th overall

Hon. mention:

John Smith, undrafted
Stephen Neal, undrafted
Steven Gostkowski, '06, 4th rnd, 118th overall
Jarvis Green, '02, 4th rnd, 126th overall

Mosi, Gash, Grogan

3rd rounders: Bruschi (86th overall) and Curtis Martin (74th overall)

Everyone forgets about the kicker, Adam Vinatieri was a pretty good UFA, the best one Parcells said he ever had.

I like Koppen and Tully Banta-Cain was productive with us.

Ben Coats was a 5th rounder with 500 catches and 50 TD's.

We drafted Rich Gannon in the 4th round back in 1987

I don't think Givens belongs on that list. He was strictly a system reciever who virtually disappreared into thin air when he left the team.

Even if he was a 'system player' he was drafted to be a part of the Patriots system, and he was great at it. Regardless of what he does for other teams, he was great for the Pats and a big part of two championships.

Steve Nelson? I forgot what round he was taken so I'm not sure.

Even if he was a 'system player' he was drafted to be a part of the Patriots system, and he was great at it. Regardless of what he does for other teams, he was great for the Pats and a big part of two championships.

David Givens was very clutch and delivered much more than his draft status should have enable him too. He caught touchdowns in 5 straight playoff games.....

No way. Givens was huge in 2 SB wins. He was a 1b WR, very clutch, tough and a real winner. Of course he played better with Brady than he would have with another QB, but who wouldn't? You can't call him "a Tom Brady by-product" without wondering why so many other WRs played at such a lower level with Brady than DG did.
I just don't think he belongs in the Patriot top 5. Among other things, he didn't always run his routes correctly, which enfuriated Brady at times.

Last edited:
I just don't think he belongs in the Patriot top 5. Among other things, he didn't always run his routes correctly, which enfuriated Brady at times.

Givens wasn't always perfect but he was far from a guy like Doug Gabriel who definately had NO connection with Tom in pass routes ....

I'd like to nominate the following:

Jim Nance - 19th round, 1965
Ray Hamilton - 14th round, 1973
Sam Hunt - 15th round, 1974
Steve Grogan - 5th round, 1975
Mosi Tatupu - 8th round, 1978
Lin Dawson - 8th round, 1981
Fred Marion - 8th round, 1982
Craig James - 7th round, 1983
Ronnie Lippett - 8th round, 1983
Ben Coates - 5th round, 1991
Troy Brown - 8th round, 1993
Tom Brady - 6th round, 2000
David Givens - 7th round, 2002
Matt Cassel - 7th round, 2005

Also worth mentioning: Randy Vataha was a 17th round pick by the Rams in 1971, was cut in pre-season, and picked up as a free agent - but doesn't count since he wasn't drafted by the Pats.

For my top five, I'll go with Brady, Nance, Coates, Brown and Grogan - though it's tough to leave off Hamilton and Hunt.

Well, you took all the fun out of this.:D

Fred Marion amd Lippet too.

Obvious choice was Nance, but I've been beaten twice.

Sam Hunt was a hell of a LB too. Sugar Bear was great too, obviously.

Last edited:
What about Nick Buoiniconti?

David Givens was very clutch and delivered much more than his draft status should have enable him too. He caught touchdowns in 5 straight playoff games.....

yes, the guy was money. He had great hands and brought a physical presence to the position. He had 'Hines Ward-like' blocking skills and mentality.

What about Nick Buoiniconti?
Good one, I forgot about him.
13th round pick in 1962. Taken in part because he was semi-local (Springfield) and the NFL wasn't interested. As I recall he was injured his last season with the Pats and the team was in rebuilding (post Parilli, Nance) mode and figured after 7 years he only had a couple of good seasons left; traded him for three nobodies and Buoniconti goes on for another 7 great years with the Dolphins to puch his ticket to the Hall of fame. Probably the worst trade in Pats history and also the best trade in Dolphins history.

I have never heard that before. Can someone elaborate on this?

Anyway, top 5 low round draft picks or not, the guy was a big part of championship teams and better than just a "system" WR, whatever that is.

Buoiniconti was arguably the best linebacker the Pats had until Tipett. I think the Pats got Bull Bramlett, Kim Hammond and a 4th round pick for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes