PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is your NFL MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Who is your NFL MVP?

I'd narrow it down to three players: Adrian Peterson, James Harrison, or Albert Haynesworth.

Brees is out because his team isn't good enough. Warner has too many turnovers.

albert is now hurt, prob doen for the season

so hes out unfortunately for him

Some people forget that MVP - Most Valuable Player doesn't nessicarily mean the guy who's putting up the best numbers. It means which guy has had THE biggest hand in putting his team in the positive position they find themselves. With that said I don't know who to pick.

I'd love to say the current starting QB for the NEP. But as much as I like Cassel and respect how far he has come and what he's done for this football team... truth is guys like Welker and Kevin Faulk deserve allot of that credit too (oh and Randy Moss who has the lions share of Matt's TD's). Etc.

Damn. This whole Most Valuable Player thing is hard in a game where teamwork over individual skill is paramount more-so then in any other big time pro sport. :p

This year is especially tough to pick an MVP. Some of the best candidates are either not in the playoffs now or could find themselves out of it by Week 17, or have the team finish 9-7 or worse.

Drew Brees and Kurt Warner are the best statistically at QB, but the Saints aren't making the playoffs and the Cards could finish 8-8. Michael Turner and Thomas Jones are having great years but their QB's (Matt Ryan and Brett Favre) are getting all the love by the media.

What about the great teams? The Titans' best offensive player is easily rookie Chris Johnson, but he may not even win ROY, let alone MVP. The Steelers' MVP plays on defense (James Harrison) and he's unlikely to win the award. Who would be considered the MVP for the Giants... Eli Manning? Pfft, he's not winning it. DeAngelo Williams is the MVP of the Panthers, but I wonder how much his running mate Jonathan Stewart affects his consideration. Williams isn't carrying the workload like LaDainian Tomlinson did in his MVP campaign two years ago.

This leaves me with considering Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning. It's possible that either of these two could end up not making the playoffs, but both are on pace to, and will be the #1 reason why their respective teams do get in if so. As of Week 15, Peterson gets my vote, but get back to me in Week 17.

Not a fan of giving the MVP to a defensive player, but I wouldn't mind it being split between Big Ben and Harrison.

If it had to go to one player, it would be hard not to consider Tony Romo the MVP when you consider they couldn't win without him (which is why Ware wouldn't get my vote).

I would give Wes Welker strong consideration when you look at his numbers and what he allows the Patriots offense to do. Did he catch 6 or more passes in "x" amount of games and broke a record?

And of course, Cassel should get some love too. The defense wasn't carrying the burden for the team and they didn't have much of a running game for much of the season.

Pennington? Maybe Joey Porter moreso.

Hanesworth? That defense hasn't been very stout this season.

Turner? Roddy White and Matt Ryan have been clutch all season long. The offense doesn't die without him.

Maybe Philip Rivers if he can send his team into the playoffs.

Adam Seward, Chad Jackson or Leo Shepherd jump out as the obvious choices.

I think Kurt Warner wins it, but there is no clear cut winner this year, in my mind.

Yeah, you HAVE to look his way when there is an MVP discussion. The Cardinals have not won a division since 1975 ! And have not hosted a playoff game since 1943 !! Do the math kids, no division title in 35 years !!!,and no home playoff game in 65 years !! That's insane. Warner is a major reason for their historic year.

Last edited by a moderator:

How about Kris Jenkins? He's the biggest reason for the Jets' turnaround from 4 wins to 8, 9 or 10. Thing is a player that doesn't touch the ball is almost never considered for the award. I think it will go to Warner or Manning.

I don't know how you can argue Peyton is more valuable to the Colts than say Pennington is to the Dolphins.

Although he wasn't the only change, the team went from 1-15 to possibly winning the division.

Peyton doesn't make my top 5 list of AFC QBs. For MVP. My choice of Cassel might be homerism, but my choice of Pennington over Peyton is not.

you're kidding right, seriously????
Yes, TGIAGH is serious: Rivers, Cutler, Pennington, Schaub and Cassel.

Peyton Manning

It's interesting to see how Colts fans can't get passed the Peyton Manning glasses.

I dislike the Colts as much as the next guy, but I have a healthy respect for Peyton, the Colts and the titanic rivalry we have established with them over the past 10 or so years. I enjoy them at their fullest, as it means something to me when the Patriots beat a fully complimented Indy side.

Peyton Manning has played nowhere what he is capable of this season, nor is he the most valuable player of the NFL this season.

I'd be inclined to think it was Adrian Peterson, DeMarcus Ware or James Harrison for their effect on the games. Resepective co-ordinators would have to scheme to minimise their affect on games, of which not many have been able to do.

The statistics provides interesting debate.

Adrian Peterson - 1,581 yards, 4.9 pc, 9TD
DeMarcus Ware - 74 tackles, 19 sacks
James Harrison - 94 tackles, 15 sacks, 1 INT

Last edited:

Yeah, you HAVE to look his way when there is an MVP discussion. The Cardinals have not won a division since 1975 ! And have not hosted a playoff game since 1943 !! Do the math kids, no division title in 35 years !!!,and no home playoff game in 65 years !! That's insane. Warner is a major reason for their historic year.

Warner is a major reason for their big year, but consider this:

The Cardinals play in the horrific NFC West. They clinched the division in Week 14...and could end up finishing 8-8 by Week 17.

They are 5-0 against their division, 3-6 against everyone else. If all goes right, the Patriots will make that 3-7 by late Sunday afternoon. I'm not ready to hand an MVP trophy to a guy on a team with a potential 9-7 record from a crappy division. It's a nice story if you're looking at it from the franchise standpoint, but from the league standpoint I'm not buying it.

Adrian Peterson is just such a beast. He is literally carrying the Vikings this season, potentially to an 11-5 record and a division title. That's an MVP right there.

Peyton Manning no doubt.

Pats fans might not want to admit it but his chances of winning it are getting higher and higher while other QBs chances are getting lower and lower.

It's interesting to see how Colts fans can't get passed the Peyton Manning glasses.

I dislike the Colts as much as the next guy, but I have a healthy respect for Peyton, the Colts and the titanic rivalry we have established with them over the past 10 or so years. I enjoy them at their fullest, as it means something to me when the Patriots beat a fully complimented Indy side.

Peyton Manning has played nowhere what he is capable of this season, nor is he the most valuable player of the NFL this season.
I'd be inclined to think it was Adrian Peterson, DeMarcus Ware or James Harrison for their effect on the games. Resepective co-ordinators would have to scheme to minimise their affect on games, of which not many have been able to do.

The statistics provides interesting debate.

Adrian Peterson - 1,581 yards, 4.9 pc, 9TD
DeMarcus Ware - 74 tackles, 19 sacks
James Harrison - 94 tackles, 15 sacks, 1 INT

Take off your hate glasses. Dilfer, Mortenson, Peter King, many writers disagree with you.

It likely wont go to a defensive player either, I doubt it but there are some good cases there.

It was supposed to be Brees or Warner but they stink against good teams and on the road. And they don't have the comebacks Peyton has and they have not had the knee surgeries either.

Peyton has had good numbers in our winning streak here. He helped lead a 3-4 team to 10-4. He has been possibly having his clutchest season yet as well.

I don't care if he does not win it but I think he just might very well. People expect so much from him though so they are pretty picky if they feel he has not delivered due to some of his past stats. I would cringe to think of our record or where we would be without him this season or how some games would have gone with the lack of running game we have had and all the o line injuries at times.

Brees is so overrated. Warner stinks against good teams and the NFC West is pathetic.

I am fine with people wanting AP to win it though. Maybe even Turner. It's been a year where nobody has really really dominated and it's tough to choose so whoever is voting can just pick who they think is worthy in their own mind.

Last edited:

I think Kurt Warner wins it, but there is no clear cut winner this year, in my mind.
Kurt Warner is 2-7 against potential playoff teams and he has 19 turnovers. Check his stats last week against the Vikes. Garbage time yardage in 2nd half as they were getting blowed out. Warner for MVP is a joke.

I agree with the notion that Manning should not even be in the top 5. He is starting to turn it on as of late, but almost every individual stat of his is down this year from previous years. If he wins it this year it is a huge disservice to what Brady did prior to 2007. Most of Mannings individual stats are down from his career averages: Td passes, yards, yards per attempt, qb rating and ints thrown. Not to mention the Colts offense is average less points and yards then it has in years. They are ranked 17th in points scored, which will be only the 3rd time in Mannings career that the Colts failed to finish in the top 4. At least three of the Colts wins this year were a direct result of either their defense or the other teams failures to secure the win (week 2 vikings, week 4 houston, week 13 cleveland).

Here is my list of possible choices:
Michael Turner (most responsible for teams turn around)
Chad Pennington (see above)
Adrian Peterson (only option of offense, still puts up huge numbers)
James Harrison (leader on defense)
Demarcus Ware (see above)

Should get a mention, but not a top shoice:
DeAngelo Williams (1200+ yards, 5.5 ypc, 12td's)
Tony Romo (at least over Manning)
Chad Pennington (most responsible for teams turnaround, only 14 tds though)
Joey Porter (for once, he backed up his mouth)
Kurt Warner (great season, having those two WR's help though)

Homer Pics:
Welker
Faulk

These two probably wont get even a last place vote, but the offense is ranked 8th in the NFL and they have been the most consistant and clutch for the offense.

Take off your hate glasses. Dilfer, Mortenson, Peter King, many writers disagree with you.

It likely wont go to a defensive player either, I doubt it but there are some good cases there.

It was supposed to be Brees or Warner but they stink against good teams and on the road. And they don't have the comebacks Peyton has and they have not had the knee surgeries either.

Peyton has had good numbers in our winning streak here. He helped lead a 3-4 team to 10-4. He has been possibly having his clutchest season yet as well.

I don't care if he does not win it but I think he just might very well. People expect so much from him though so they are pretty picky if they feel he has not delivered due to some of his past stats. I would cringe to think of our record or where we would be without him this season or how some games would have gone with the lack of running game we have had and all the o line injuries at times.

Brees is so overrated. Warner stinks against good teams and the NFC West is pathetic.

I am fine with people wanting AP to win it though. Maybe even Turner. It's been a year where nobody has really really dominated and it's tough to choose so whoever is voting can just pick who they think is worthy in their own mind.
It's posters such as yourself that demonstrate and inept ability to grasp concepts. Read the SECOND paragraph where I state the respect I have for Peyton Manning.

The simple fact is I don't believe he is having and MVP quality season. That's why I nominated three players who I believe are having MVP worthy seasons AND then provided statistics to compliment my argument.

Providing a feel good story about Peyton's knee surgery and comebacks etc doesn't get you anywhere. By that logic, Tom Brady should be a lock for the MVP next season providing he plays "well enough" after returning from major knee surgery.

New Orleans has no defense, and is down running backs. Brees has to throw. Does that mean he should be MVP? No it doesn't. Warner much the same as Brees.

Glaringly, you overlook the hand in which the Colts defense has played in your revival this season. Forcing turnovers, creating good field position and scoring defensive touchdowns, whilst complimenting Manning and the O's play has resurrected your position.

And for the record, I believe James Harrison should be the MVP. Defense or Offensive position makes no difference to me. He has been spectacular this season.

Last edited:

It's posters such as yourself that demonstrate and inept ability to grasp concepts. Read the SECOND paragraph where I state the respect I have for Peyton Manning.

The simple fact is I don't believe he is having and MVP quality season. That's why I nominated three players who I believe are having MVP worthy seasons AND then provided statistics to compliment my argument.

Providing a feel good story about Peyton's knee surgery and comebacks etc doesn't get you anywhere. By that logic, Tom Brady should be a lock for the MVP next season providing he plays "well enough" after returning from major knee surgery.

New Orleans has no defense, and is down running backs. Brees has to throw. Does that mean he should be MVP? No it doesn't. Warner much the same as Brees.

Glaringly, you overlook the hand in which the Colts defense has played in your revival this season. Forcing turnovers, creating good field position and scoring defensive touchdowns, whilst complimenting Manning and the O's play has resurrected your position.

And for the record, I believe James Harrison should be the MVP. Defense or Offensive position makes no difference to me. He has been spectacular this season.
LOL
After tonight, he is a lock. Another comeback victory. The guy is tough as nails. Marino fans used to say he was the best, becasue he had no running game. Not sure his team ever finished last in that category. Harrison is good, but they didn't stop PM. A handful of guys could win it, but with his season long performance, playing the most difficult position in the game, it's easy to see who deserves it most.

Spell it!

P-E-Y-T-O-N M-A-N-N-I-N-G:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes