PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is your NFL MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Who is your NFL MVP?

from 18to88.com from deshaun zombie

It's notoriously difficult to track all the effects of a an offensive line. On one hand, it's easy to look at the Colts line, and wonder what all the injury fuss is about. Peyton Manning has only been sacked 12 times on the season. Someone looking at the stat page would obviously conclude that he's had solid protection, as only 4 teams have given up fewer sacks (and only 4 teams have thrown more than the Colts). Manning's protection has clearly been adequate, right?

As it turns out, no. The Football Outsiders have been doing their best to track and chart quarterback hurries and hits for both offenses and defenses. Their results are somewhat amazing. Peyton Manning is the 8th most hit QB in football. He's one of the least sacked, but most hit. He's also been hurried the 7th most number of times. Remarkable. In a season where he's coming off knee surgery, Peyton Manning has had easily his worst offensive line in many years, but he's still one of the least sacked QBs in the game. This shows two things: 1. his mobility is not as limited as people feared and 2. he hasn't had time throw downfield.

In fact most all of Peyton's stats are right on line with his career averages except for his YPA. He has been forced by shoddy protection to dump down all season, which has suppressed his YPA (and in turn his passer rating which relies heavily on YPA). Manning has not only avoided taking sacks, but has managed to piece together one of his finest seasons despite a revolving door in front of him. The oddity of the list is that Kurt Warner gets hit a lot, but is lower on the hurried list. Warner has taken 20 sacks this year, and part of the knock on him has been that he holds the ball too long. Manning doesn't make that mistake. I can recall all of one play this year where it was obvious that 18 should have gotten rid of the ball (sack he took at Pittsburgh).

By the way...Dwight Freeney leads the NFL in hurries. I suppose not all of their data can be so stunning.

Wow.

A QB having to face pressure and dump the ball off instead of sitting in the pocket forever. I wonder if any other QB in the NFL has to face such things. Do you think perhaps other QBs in the league would have higher YPA (and in turn passer ratings), if they were also given more time to throw?

Seriously that is just a ridiculous argument to make for the 4th least sacked QB in the NFL. I don't remember any such argument being made for Brady in 05 when he was the most hit QB in the league.

You could probably make a pretty strong case for Tom Brady.

His loss made every single fan-base think this might be their year. So, yes that is the definition of "Most Valuable". 25 + years watching the NFL, I've never seen one players injury have that large of an impact.

Tom Brady for MVP.

hope i cleared that up a little for you

Not unless a number of your posts have been deleted.

I hear a bunch of spurious reasons why Manning's numbers are down, but none as to why he's more important than say Romo, or Peterson, or Pennington, or Harrison, or Ware, or Tuck, or any other number of players, only Kurt Warner.

Without Manning colts win ZERO GAMES. NO GAMES DO YOU HEAR ME

COLTS ARE 0-14 AND THE LIONS ARE 1-13 WITHOUT Manning

With the worst running game in the league, a revolving door O line, a Reecieving corps that is TOP 5 IN DROPS

with a defense that has been again DECIMATED by injuries

So he gets the MVP award because your team is incapable of having a back-up QB than can win one game? Is that the gist of your argument?

quote please? and even if you find one I can find atleast 3 where he's leaning towards peyton, that said Dungy has never been one to blow up and push his own guys

Heard it on the radio. I doubt there is a quote right now.

wes welker, and there really should be no question. The fact that he isnt going to even make the pro bowl shows what a joke that game is

Well, don't forget that the coaches and players have a vote. If they still don't send him then, yeah, it's a joke. :)

So, with a o line that has been destroyed by injuries, being one of the MOST HURRIED QB'S, but also ONE OF THE LEAST SACKED, is what the article's main point is

I don't see what ANY OF THAT has to do with Brady for past patriot teams

And under all those circumstances he's played like the 10th rated passer in the league.

There's this bizarre suggestion that Manning is the only QB who faces adversity, and deserves extra credit because of it.

Kurt Warner is on a team with no running back, and one of the worst 4 of 5 defenses in the league. Every team they play know he's going to pass on just about every play.

Adrian Peterson faces more 8 man fronts than any RB in the league, yet he's got 1500 yards already at nearly 5ypc.

Michael Turner has scored 15TDs, and rushed for 1,400 yards with a rookie QB.

Matt Ryan is a rookie! Matt Cassel is a first year starter!

Chad Pennington leading targets have been a PR, and two undrafted free agents, yet he's a 95.1 rated passer.

Tony Romo broke his finger, missed 3 games (2 of which Dallas lost), and still has put up better numbers than Manning.

If you think any of those players you listed is more important to their team than Manning, or ever have been during their careers, there is absolutely no point in me taking this discussion any further with you

no stats needed, just common sense

So every year just give it to Brady or Manning until they retire.

No one has ever done more with less than Brady did during the 2006 season. He didn't win the MVP that year. If PM wins the MVP this year based on that type of logic, i'll just attribute it to more media ball-washing and I'll probably sprain my eyes from rolling them too hard.

-F

Manning and IMO it's pretty easy. The Colts win 2 games, maybe 3 without him. AT BEST.

How do we know they'd only win 2 or 3 games without him? Cassel looked pretty bad before he was given the chance. In fact people wanted him cut off the team during the pre-season. Now look at him. It's a presumption and nothing else to suggest that Sorgi would be that bad.

And like someone else said, Brady's had this type of season year in and year out and didn't have targets named Wayne, Clark, or Gonzalez to throw to and didn't win the MVP.

If you think any of those players you listed is more important to their team than Manning, or ever have been during their careers, there is absolutely no point in me taking this discussion any further with you

I don't know how you can argue Peyton is more valuable to the Colts than say Pennington is to the Dolphins.

Although he wasn't the only change, the team went from 1-15 to possibly winning the division.

Peyton doesn't make my top 5 list of AFC QBs. For MVP. My choice of Cassel might be homerism, but my choice of Pennington over Peyton is not.

Bernard Pollard. Without him the Jets and Dolphins dont compete for the East.

I'd narrow it down to three players: Adrian Peterson, James Harrison, or Albert Haynesworth.

Brees is out because his team isn't good enough. Warner has too many turnovers.

Manning doesn't even belong in the running for the award. In fact, if he weren't named "Manning", he'd have no shot. Just in quarterbacks alone, he's not even a top 5 worthy candidate right now.

I don't care who wins the the league MVP, as long as Matt Cassel is the superbowl MVP.

Hate to say it,but Joey Porter has had a damn good year as well

I'd go with Adrian Peterson in Minnesota. Michael Turner did a lot to help turn the Falcons into a playoff contender and take the heat off the rookie QB. However, the rookie QB is lights out for a rookie. That said, Peterson has the Vikes set for a playoff spot with an abysmal QB situation and opponents geared to stop HIM. If that's not the definition of an MVP I don't know what is.

The obvious answer is Adrian Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3