PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Is your Dark Horse Pick For The first Patriots Pick In The Draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The knock on him is where is the separation on his tape? There is none...he doesn't get it. There are also some questions over his route running and work ethic. Bottled the combine 40 yard dash despite being healthy so he could run on a fast athletics track at his pro day and have no comparison.

I like the upside he has as a second round pick but I would sooner take Floyd with a couple of DUIs.

Not sure if those are your opinions or what you've read but here's my response

Jeffery doesn't get separation:
Jeffery isn't a guy like Branch or Welker, he excels at running different routes. He'll gain separation when he's allowed to open up his stride and run straight. Down field routes essentially. He's also very good at the slant and back shoulder throw. (Every team in the league seems to run the back shoulder throw except for us). I disagree that he simply never gets separation. He wouldn't have more than 30 catches is it was that bad.

Work ethic
says who? I haven't seen any legitamte sources.

route running
he's just as good or better than any other prospect

40 at the combine
Indy is one of the fastest tracks there is.

Compared to Floyd
Floyd will go much higher. Jeffery will be there at 27, 31 and possibly 48.

Not sure if those are your opinions or what you've read but here's my response

Jeffery isn't a guy like Branch or Welker, he excels at running different routes. He'll gain separation when he's allowed to open up his stride and run straight. Down field routes essentially. He's also very good at the slant and back shoulder throw. (Every team in the league seems to run the back shoulder throw except for us). I disagree that he simply never gets separation. He wouldn't have more than 30 catches is it was that bad.

Work ethic
says who? I haven't seen any legitamte sources.

route running
he's just as good or better than any other prospect

40 at the combine
Indy is one of the fastest tracks there is.

Compared to Floyd
Floyd will go much higher. Jeffery will be there at 27, 31 and possibly 48.

On the contrary,l he's playing in college, which is an entirely different game and where the majority of players never set a foot in the NFL. The two games are vastly different. I don't doubt the guy's ability to be a pro, he will be, but when I watch tape of him his separating isn't all that great. He does however have the best hands of anyone in the draft and his measurables will make him a threat...but just how big a threat will he be? His route running isn't superb or one of the best in the class and neither is his separation...which is why not many teams (if any) have a first round grade on him. A few teams have said they wouldn't touch him until the second round at least.

In terms of work ethic, there have been concerns talked up about his off-season programs at college. People say he showed up out of shape and took a while to get back into it. Even before all the draft rumours came out this year, I heard whispers of his playing weight being a concern. On top of that, as I have already mentioned, despite being 100% healthy he didn't do a single thing at the combine...players tend to perform better at their pro days with their own QBs throwing them the ball. A concern for me is his massive drop off in his final year. Blame having a backup QB all you want, but did having Matt Cassel stop Moss' production in 2008? No it didn't. It's no excuse. Elite players elevate the game of others around them.

Route running wise, no he isn't as good or better than any other prospect. Alshon Jeffery comes from South Carolina who run a very simplistic route tree. He ran those routes decently but from what I heard, at his pro day, his lateral movement and agility drills weren't impressive...which would back up my notion that he isn't a very fluid route runner and will struggle to get separation at the NFL level unless his cuts get better. If he was, as you say, as good a route runner as any prospect then he would be a sure fire first rounder and probably the best WR int he class...which I don't think he is and you'd struggle to find anyone else who does.

The 40 at the combine is run on an artificial grass. 40 times at pro days are generally run on athletics tracks. There's a reason they do this and it's because they're proven as faster tracks. If a player doesn't improve on his 40 time at his pro day he's a wash out in my eyes. At Baylor's pro day Terrance Ganaway was made to look like a speedster on their athletics track. They don'#t even run on a 'track' at the combine...it's just artificial turf on the painted sideline. A college running track is much faster.

Compared to Floyd, Floyd is just flat out better of course. There's little comparison for me.

Last edited:
In terms of work ethic, there have been concerns talked up about his off-season programs at college. People say he showed up out of shape and took a while to get back into it. Even before all the draft rumours came out this year, I heard whispers of his playing weight being a concern.

If true this is a minor concern that doesn't merit a huge markdown. A young kid let hype go to his head, it's not like this has never happened before. If he never got into shape or showed up at the combine overweight it would be a different story. But I can't crush the kid for some rumors during a time notorious for misinformation.

On top of that, as I have already mentioned, despite being 100% healthy he didn't do a single thing at the combine...players tend to perform better at their pro days with their own QBs throwing them the ball. A concern for me is his massive drop off in his final year. Blame having a backup QB all you want, but did having Matt Cassel stop Moss' production in 2008? No it didn't. It's no excuse. Elite players elevate the game of others around them.

Moss 2007: 98 / 1493 / 23
Moss 2008: 69 / 1008 / 11

Stop? no, but that's a drastic dropoff. Not ony was the QB situation bad but the stud RB went down week 1 leaving teams not concerned about the SC running game.

Route running wise, no he isn't as good or better than any other prospect. Alshon Jeffery comes from South Carolina who run a very simplistic route tree. He ran those routes decently but from what I heard, at his pro day, his lateral movement and agility drills weren't impressive...which would back up my notion that he isn't a very fluid route runner and will struggle to get separation at the NFL level unless his cuts get better. If he was, as you say, as good a route runner as any prospect then he would be a sure fire first rounder and probably the best WR int he class...which I don't think he is and you'd struggle to find anyone else who does.

He may not look great in his agility drills but when in the world is he ever going to make 5 cuts in a 8 second span. He's not going to run the Branch / Welker route tree in the NFL. He'll run the Moss, Marshall , VJax, Megatron, etc. route tree. This is generally 1 cut per route, minimizing the need to be good out of breaks. It's much more about winning the battle at the LOS.

The 40 at the combine is run on an artificial grass. 40 times at pro days are generally run on athletics tracks. There's a reason they do this and it's because they're proven as faster tracks. If a player doesn't improve on his 40 time at his pro day he's a wash out in my eyes. At Baylor's pro day Terrance Ganaway was made to look like a speedster on their athletics track. They don'#t even run on a 'track' at the combine...it's just artificial turf on the painted sideline. A college running track is much faster

Jeffery didn't run on a track during his pro day so its a moot point.

Last edited:
Trade for an NFL player. Don't know who as yet.

Move up for Kahlil when he drops into the teens or Jonathan Martin, OT Stanford. Volmer is too injury prone and Light is retired.

Actually, i'll revise my pick and make it more specific, given recent events.

Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor. Put some pressure on Welker, as well as get an upgrade on our deep passes.

I also think a huge part of the reason he doesn't get a lot of separation in college is because he was double or triple teamed on every play. He was the only receiving threat on that South Carolina team, and once Lattimore went down he was the only offensive threat. I also think separation is relative. Finesse guys need separation because they can't make the tough catch in traffic. Jeffery is a big, physical guy that uses his body as well as anyone and has the hands to catch anything thrown even remotely near him. He doesn't need separation to make catches, he creates his own with his size and body control.

I also think a huge part of the reason he doesn't get a lot of separation in college is because he was double or triple teamed on every play. He was the only receiving threat on that South Carolina team, and once Lattimore went down he was the only offensive threat. I also think separation is relative. Finesse guys need separation because they can't make the tough catch in traffic. Jeffery is a big, physical guy that uses his body as well as anyone and has the hands to catch anything thrown even remotely near him. He doesn't need separation to make catches, he creates his own with his size and body control.

That was one of the other things I heard from alot of the truck-driver SC fans from my earlier post. Lattimore went down and Jeffery was basically a focus of the opposing defense. Once Garcia was gone all familiarity went out the window....

Cassel is not a fair comparison to the QB carousel at South Carolina after Garcia was dismissed from the squad........ Connor Shaw, Dylan Thompson and Andrew Clifford were on and off starters for the season under Spurrier. Difference being Cassel could play where as they couldn't, at least effectively.

I'll still stick to my guns and say that Jeffery gets a bad rap....Route Running wasn't elaborate down there but can be coached up......I have faith in McDaniels, minus his stubbornness.

For a guy his size he doesn't need to get 3-5 yards seperation on every route. Simply just use his frame and catch radius to over-power smaller DB's. Hell if he can be like a poor mans V-JAX i'll take it. He'll just bring a different dimension to the Pats offense that they lack.

Last edited:
Not sure they'll take him in the first round, but a darkhorse pick for me is Jared Crick. He's a very good player who I haven't seen mentioned here anywhere. Has the size to play 3-4 end as a 5-technique and can rush the passer from the tackle position in 4-3 packages. He was very productive in college, and a better athlete than you would think. Only a torn pectoral muscle kept him from being a 3-time all-conference selection. If this guy lands on the Pats I'll be a happy fan.

Some people do. Who are you to judge people you don't know? I have a nice little contact over in America who sends me DVDs and download links to tape of whoever I ask for. This year I myself have been off work ill on a regular basis, so I've had a lot of time to kill. I would say I've watched tap on around 50-75 of the top prospects, averaging at least half of the games they played in each.

YouTube does the rest!

That makes you more familiar with those prospects than most but in no way qualifies you as an analyst on them. scouts watch coaches tape and fully understand the schemes and expectations for player on every play, fans watching TV and you tube footage have no such understanding, and believing that just watching such footage makes a fan an expert is folly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back