PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Is your Dark Horse Pick For The first Patriots Pick In The Draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shea McClellin

2 Dark Horse scenarios could unfold.....

With McDaniel's back in the fold I can totally see WR Stephen Hill. McDaniel's felt highly enough of Demaryius Thomas to trade up with us back in Denver in the 2010 Draft.....

Another is a substantial trade up (Coples, Floyd, Barron, Poe, Brockers all possibilities)

Truthfully in the 2nd Rd I hope we take advantage of someone with the talent of Alshon Jeffery. He gets a bad rap I think and played for truly lousy QB's his senior year. I think hes being too devalued and would give us a red-zone monster to beat out smaller DB's. So that way teams doubling Gronk will pay dearly inside the 20's. He reminds me of a receiver who's combine numbers don't speak true to his game-time instincts, ball-skills and speed. I work at a Wine-Shop as my 2nd job which is right near a truck stop. Surprisingly a lot of SC fans that come in from down south say the QB's totally sucked and it killed his senior campaign. I just think what Brady could do for this kid's abilities.......plus Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Lloyd, Jeffery, Branch, Edelman, and hopefully a motivated Chad could be downright scary.

My dark horse, Alshon Jeffery. What's the knock on this guy again? Some photo shopped picture that turned out to BS. :rolleyes: The guy shredded a loaded 'Bama D, played better against Jenkins than Julio Jones and AJ Green and was a top 5 pick to start the college season.

Those are some pretty strong points there.

After review. I would say it is Doug Martin. Not too many pundits think they are taking a RB after they just took two the draft before. Love the way the guy runs and his preparation is off the charts.

Like the Wright and Jeffrey picks too.

OK, I will change it to hightower, upon further reflection.

No reason to change, bud.

Just my lousy opinion, nothing more.

I would love to add either Hightower or Irvin, just don't think that Irvin goes that high, that's all.

"Touchdown" Tommy Vardell.*

Actually Trumaine Johnson is my dark horse.
(Scouting notes are not promising, sounds like he has an attitude problem.)

There are two positions BB has never drafted in the 1st: WR, and OLB. That holds true to form this draft.

Edit: *Cleveland Brown reference for those who don't get it.

Last edited:

There are two positions BB has never drafted in the 1st: WR, and OLB. That holds true to form this draft.

A sense of entitlement I read. If true, I'm afraid he almost certainly won't be a Patriot. "If" though is the operative word in that sentence.

He sounds a lot like Chad Jackson. However a Tweet from Bedard fwiw:

Yes, they do RT @NFLDraftXpert: they love tru johnson.

If we're going to draft a CB with Big Fish / Little Pond syndrome, I hope it's Jenkins.

My dark horse, Alshon Jeffery. What's the knock on this guy again? Some photo shopped picture that turned out to BS. :rolleyes: The guy shredded a loaded 'Bama D, played better against Jenkins than Julio Jones and AJ Green and was a top 5 pick to start the college season.

The knock on him is where is the separation on his tape? There is none...he doesn't get it. There are also some questions over his route running and work ethic. Bottled the combine 40 yard dash despite being healthy so he could run on a fast athletics track at his pro day and have no comparison.

I like the upside he has as a second round pick but I would sooner take Floyd with a couple of DUIs.

Kendall Wright has been dropping down in mocks for some reason all the way to the third round, which is kinda crazy to me. I don't why he's falling so far, but if he drops into our laps we must take advantage. All of our starting WRs are over 30! That's bad!

He's the only WR I would realistically pick for the Patriots in round 1

Poor route running ability and 16% body fat...he could slide of out of the st entirely in some people's eyes but I think his tape is enough to warrant a pick in the 20s. Personally I think he';s a horrible fit in NE and don't want any part of him. I've been on record as saying RG3 makes this kid look good.

My dark horse would have to be someone on offense. I would say someone on the front seven of defense but, even though the Pats have never really addressed this issue much in the first round, I think people expect them to break the trend this year more than ever given the level of need and perceived value of some of the guys there. All depends on how the board falls. I also wouldn't be surprised at all to see Doug Martin taken in the first round by us..the interest is there and the need is there too.

I could see an OT/OG taken. A Kevin Zeitler or a Zebrie Sanders jumping up...especially if some of the other names are gone. I actually love the idea of Zebrie Sanders working with Dante Scarnecchia and think he'd be an amazing fit. The first round would defo be a bit of a stretch for this guy who I have a 2nd round value on, but I love him and would not batter an eye lid.

Last edited:
I could see an OT/OG taken. A Kevin Zeitler or a Zebrie Sanders jumping up...especially if some of the other names are gone. I actually love the idea of Zebrie Sanders working with Dante Scarnecchia and think he'd be an amazing fit. The first round would defo be a bit of a stretch for this guy who I have a 2nd round value on, but I love him and would not batter an eye lid.

I like Sanders also. Another dark horse pick for me would be Jon Martin. We really don't know the condition of Vollmer's back. If the medical staff tells BB that it could be a chronic thing, and Martin is sitting there at 27, we might have some teams calling up to trade into our slot, but it wouldn't surprise me for BB to take Martin himself.

The downside is that we've got a swing tackle making first round money, but with the slotted salaries, it's not that big a problem.

The more I think about it, the more i would not be surprised to take a RB in this first round. The fact is we still need a RB or 2 on the roster and we brought in 3 big name FAs probably to sign after the draft so the interest is there. Vareen and Ridley were high picks and deserve to be starting, but BB could very well see that they are not the studs he hoped they were or at least not be any time soon.

So my dark horse is Doug Martin who is actually complementary to Ridley and Vareen and is a literal work horse who can carry the load.

Doug Martin. That pick makes sense to me. Vereen is totally unproven and Ridley is promising but still unknown. If Martin and Ridley are studs, then we end up with a very dangerous running game so defenses can't just key on the pass all the time.

He sounds a lot like Chad Jackson. However a Tweet from Bedard fwiw:

Yes, they do RT @NFLDraftXpert: they love tru johnson.

I like trumaine Johnson but not before round 2. He's a versatile defender who could play S/CB. Much like Eugene Wilson.

Last edited:
LMAO-Gotta love the people who act like they have been watching 1000's of hours of coaches tape on these players, none have and simply admitting they read Scott Wright and Rob Rang would be a better idea.

"Looking at the Clemson/SC game it's clear Ingram has tight ankles and questionable eyes, although his loose hips and sand in the pants translate to a higher pick than his high backpedal and tense hamstrings would suggest.....................................................

Michael Brockers falls to #27 overall.

LMAO-Gotta love the people who act like they have been watching 1000's of hours of coaches tape on these players, none have and simply admitting they read Scott Wright and Rob Rang would be a better idea.

"Looking at the Clemson/SC game it's clear Ingram has tight ankles and questionable eyes, although his loose hips and sand in the pants translate to a higher pick than his high backpedal and tense hamstrings would suggest.....................................................

Some people do. Who are you to judge people you don't know? I have a nice little contact over in America who sends me DVDs and download links to tape of whoever I ask for. This year I myself have been off work ill on a regular basis, so I've had a lot of time to kill. I would say I've watched tap on around 50-75 of the top prospects, averaging at least half of the games they played in each.

YouTube does the rest!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill