PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Else Do We NEED On Offense?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The offense seems even clearer than the defense. We have an open OL roster spot. Everyone has their favorite use for the least two roster spots. I have no strong opinions on what Belichick will do, other than that he likely will bring in an OL or two for tryouts. After all, one of the 23 spots is the open OL spot, now likely filled by Zusevics.

3rd QB
5th RB
4th TE
9th OL

23 MAN OFFENSE
QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Blount
WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Edelman, Boyce, Slater
TE (3) Gronkowski, Fells, Sudfeld
C (1) Wendell
G (4) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, open
T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek

A C/G/T ....never have enough of them in my opinion even though Scarnecchia is known to walk on water.

Last edited:
A dedicated backup center who also can play both guard positions.

The offense seems even clearer than the defense. We have an open OL roster spot. Everyone has their favorite use for the least two roster spots. I have no strong opinions on what Belichick will do, other than that he likely will bring in an OL or two for tryouts. After all, one of the 23 spots is the open OL spot, now likely filled by Zusevics.

3rd QB
5th RB
4th TE
9th OL

23 MAN OFFENSE
QB (2) Brady, Mallett
C (1) Wendell

I'd add Ballard and Bolden

To me, this is somewhat a given. I listed an "open" roster spot at OG. I would certainly expect any interior lineman brought in would also be a center. And, yes, I would prefer a player who is primarily a center.

A dedicated backup center who also can play both guard positions.

To me the biggest factor regarding who else the Patriots need on offense hinges on the health and availability of three players:

• Gronk
  • Dan Connolly
  • Jake Ballard

The offensive line is in a bit of a state of flux due to various injuries. Connolly is recovering from shoulder surgery but I am guessing he will be ready to go by the first game on September 8. Last I read about Marcus Cannon is that he was back to being in full pads (though still not participating in practice) earlier this week. Once those two return the depth on the offensive line suddenly looks a whole lot better than it does at the moment. Markus Zusevics has been held out but should be ready to go next week as well, which also adds to depth for that unit.

Tight end is a little trickier to predict because we have less of an idea on what the timetable is for when Gronk will be ready to play, and the reports that Ballard is less than 100% make that position even more difficult to speculate what will happen, given the severity of his injury. If need be are the Patriots okay with heading into week one with Zach Sudfeld, Daniel Fells and Michael Hoomanawanui as their only available tight ends?

Suds has made ballard expendable(no practice time, still a little gimpy)

I think blunt so far has made bolden expendable
2 QB is the standard so i dont see us needing a 3rd person to hold a clipboard.

I'd put all the depth into the Oline,

Not trying to be cute but a good pass rusher or an addition to the secondary that could get us off the field on 3rd downs would be the biggest boost to the offense imo.

Dallas Clark & Vonta Leach would be 2 dependable, successful, veteran additions who...never mind.

Dallas Clark & Vonta Leach would be 2 dependable, successful, veteran additions who...never mind.

I don't know how dependable Clark is at this point. And the Pats don't utilize a FB. I can't remember the last true FB they have had on the roster. Maybe Larry Centers.

Develin made a good imitation of a fullback tonight.

QUOTE=Rob0729;3518361]I don't know how dependable Clark is at this point. And the Pats don't utilize a FB. I can't remember the last true FB they have had on the roster. Maybe Larry Centers.[/QUOTE]

I think that this analysis is still valid. Sudfeld looked like a starter.

3rd QB
5th RB
4th TE
9th OL

23 MAN OFFENSE
QB (2) Brady, Mallett
C (1) Wendell

Develin made a good imitation of a fullback tonight.

I was thinking the same thing, he did well lead blocking and picked up a few first downs, he could make the roster, I do not rule him out.

Was Fells injured and inactive tonight?

undisclosed injury last I heard

I was thinking the same think, he did well lead blocking and picked up a few first downs, he could make the roster, I do not rule him out.

Was Fells injured and inactive tonight?

3rd QB
5th RB
4th TE
9th OL

23 MAN OFFENSE
QB (2) Brady, Mallett
C (1) Wendell

I think we really need to look at the TE position beyond Sudfeld, I'm not really sure what to make of Ballard, and Fells either wasn't dressed tonight or I just didn't notice him. Hooman has been solid in both games, but nothing to write home about. In my opinion Sudfeld his on a different planet then the rest of the guys out there right now.

I'm keeping Bolden and Blount, I really liked the Vereen/Bolden 3rd down look they ran a few times. Bolden seems to have grown into a receiving threat in the eyes of the coaching staff.

I'm inclined to keep 7 OL and just keep an extra guy OL on the practice squad, because we're only going to have 7 active on game day anyway and unless someone steps up out of the UDFA group and shows they merit a roster spot I don't see a point in just keeping them on the 53.

As far as skill players go, barring injuries, I vote "no one." :D

I don't know how dependable Clark is at this point. And the Pats don't utilize a FB. I can't remember the last true FB they have had on the roster. Maybe Larry Centers.

Heath Evans

I get it that you don't understand. You can't treat the Practice Squad as a source of depth unless you have NFL quality players, ready to play at the various positions. And we are NOT talking about UDFA's who may become good enough to play. If Connolly is injured, we need to have a backup center, NOW. And that backup center needs to be able to play at an NFL level.

We may go with 8 offensive linemen (given the position flexibilty of Connolly, Cannon and Svitek), although many of us strongly prefer 9 OL's. This would certainly be possible if Nick McDonald is close to coming back. He could be added after Game 1.

BTW, you have a TOTAL of 8 OL's. I would have 11 OL's, including the Practice Squad.

Finally, it should help inform our positions that many of our top offensive linemen have been injured during camp and the preseason. Of the 8 man total, we currently would have 3 out on injuries. We'd need Practice Team players just to fill the active roster. We need to plan better than that.

In the end, I would rather carry a 9th OL and a 4th TE. I wouldn't carry a 5th RB or 3rd QB.

I'm inclined to keep 7 OL and just keep an extra guy OL on the practice squad, because we're only going to have 7 active on game day anyway and unless someone steps up out of the UDFA group and shows they merit a roster spot I don't see a point in just keeping them on the 53.

we need THIS guy...remember HIM???

Gronkowski_Blog.jpg

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back