PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you like for our 1st pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOR, any word on how LSU DE Tyson Jackson is doing at the senior bowl?
I'd missed it until I failed to see him at the South practice and checked the cancelation list - Jackson withdrew, no reason is listed.

Day 1 pick at 23

If Moore(S) is there I think we take him (but suspect the Saints will). Else I think we take either Cushing or Sintim at OLB if avaialble

William Moore, Clint Sintim, Vontae Davis, Michael Johnson, Beanie Wells, Knosean Moreno, Lesean McCoy, Brandon Pettigrew, Jeremy Maclin, Darius Heyward-Bey, Tyson Jackson.......anyone of the above in the 1st round is ok with me

assuming pats resign woods and sanders(safety) i tell the biggest need is another ilb...we have only mayo secure starter....tedy is ? and guyton i don't know if can start...
olbs are 4 (with 2 strong starters e 2 good backup)...
safeties have 2 starters(needs backup or resign rodney)
cb i would give other chances to weathley/wilhite...

cushing and sintim can translate to ilb?

Larry English. Dude is a beast, and according to all the notes out of the Senior Bowl his stock is rising rapidly towards the middle of the 1st.

assuming pats resign woods and sanders(safety) i tell the biggest need is another ilb...we have only mayo secure starter....tedy is ? and guyton i don't know if can start...
olbs are 4 (with 2 strong starters e 2 good backup)...
safeties have 2 starters(needs backup or resign rodney)
cb i would give other chances to weathley/wilhite...

cushing and sintim can translate to ilb?
Woods is an RFA, he's most likely here one more year (though I'd try to lock him up with a long term contract).

Cushing probably could learn to play ILB, but I don't see a lot of upside with him - good kid, he'll have a solid career.

Sintim I'm projecting to SILB, he will be a liability in coverage and will need 2-3 years to develop there, but he would be another strong pass rusher and he has the size and experience to stack and shed OL. He'll have a transition period learning to play downhill from off the LOS, a lot of vocal losers - like the anti-Cassel crowd from this season - will be down on him because he'll be very slow to read & react, but I think he's got the tool set to make it work. If Sintim doesn't look like he's going to work, he just slides back to OLB - he might even be a back-up there as he learns to handle coverage assignments and Adalius moves back inside with Mayo and Guyton.

Last edited:
Larry English. Dude is a beast, and according to all the notes out of the Senior Bowl his stock is rising rapidly towards the middle of the 1st.
Yes, he's a good looking kid, though I'd expect him to be a Crable-style project and not a kid carrying a 1st round grade for NE - I'll take Connor Barwin in the 2nd or Clay Matthews or Cody Brown in the third if that's the direction BB wants.

Yes, he's a good looking kid, though I'd expect him to be a Crable-style project and not a kid carrying a 1st round grade for NE - I'll take Connor Barwin in the 2nd or Clay Matthews or Cody Brown in the third if that's the direction BB wants.

Curious as to why you'd say that he would be a project. I watched some of his games and he displays rare fluidity when they stand him off the line. In the three games I've gotten to watch so far, he played the right side, the left side and ROLB. He did all of these with tremendous skill and agility. They dropped him into zones, he showed linebacker hips. They had him man-up the TE, he his in the opponents hip on every route. This kid is legit. I think that he is a much better player for our system than Barwin, personally.

Last edited:

Just as an aside, guys like Crable and Guyton piss me off. I hate trying to project guys who are "small for their size", or who play smaller than they are, if you know what I mean. You just never know if either of those problems can be resolved. It's the NFL equivalent of the undersized power forward, or the center with short arms.

Curious as to why you'd say that he would be a project. I watched some of his games and he displays rare fluidity when they stand him off the line. In the three games I've gotten to watch so far, he played the right side, the left side and ROLB. He did all of these with tremendous skill and agility. They dropped him into zones, he showed linebacker hips. They had him man-up the TE, he his in the opponents hip on every route. This kid is legit. I think that he is a much better player for our system than Barwin, personally.
I got to see him in two games, in both he was there to rush the passer and didn't look as strong against the run as I'd like. I still see the potential and believe he'd make the conversion just fine, but I never saw him play off the LOS. Barwin I have seen in coverage and playing up on his feet, I've also seen him play TE and on Special Teams - the reason I rate him a 2nd round pick is his TE and STs skill sets create added value. English I'd have later in the second and preferably in the third - like Crable.

If you find the time, perhaps a Pats1-style breakdown of the plays English made which got you excited - it would be nice to read about the situations, opposing players, etc. I can't guarantee to change my mind, but I'm always open to new data.

I would like to see either a stud O-lineman or Malaluga drop in the first round to the Pats. But's it's too early to say because the Pats haven't gone through FA.

Yes, we call this someone a playmaker. In round one though, I only see two:

William Moore would be a target as the only round one playmaker at the Safety position. But my guess is he'll be gone.

Next up would be CB D.J. Moore, who may be available. He's worthy as a CB who fits the Pats profile, problem is, there are other CB options later on who also fit (and can catch). Therefore, it may be time to enact the 'value of the position' philosophy and pass on D.J...grabbing a CB later.

Time now to change positions:

Perhaps one of the big four OTs will slide. I'm partial to Jason Smith.

Finally, we have OLB Clint Sintim.

That's it for now. My four early bird picks. The answer for the OP lies within. :cool:

Time to make my first of several changes:

William Moore
will most likely get bumped out of round one now, due to his unimpressive Senior Bowl week of practices. I still believe the Pats will address the Safety position -- but not at #23.

D.J Moore
is still a possibility at #23, although there are other worthy CB prospects later on.

Jason Smith is still my favorite OT, who'll most likely be long gone.

Clint Sintim is still a serious #23 candidate.

My new additions to #23 are:

RB LeSean McCoy - I don't see the need, unless Maroney's health is an issue. Heck of a value pick though. My favorite RB.

OT William Beatty - legitimate future LT prospect. Another value pick.

CB Alphonso Smith - yes, he's shorter than we'd like. But his ball skills may be the draft's best.

That's it for now. The #23 slot may change as this is a good draft to trade down. Lot's of talent in the lower third, and into rounds two and three.

William Moore
will most likely get bumped out of round one now, due to his unimpressive Senior Bowl week of practices. I still believe the Pats will address the Safety position -- but not at #23.

D.J Moore
is still a possibility at #23, although there are other worthy CB prospects later on.

RB LeSean McCoy - I don't see the need, unless Maroney's health is an issue. Heck of a value pick though. My favorite RB.

CB Alphonso Smith - yes, he's shorter than we'd like. But his ball skills may be the draft's best.

That's it for now. The #23 slot may change as this is a good draft to trade down. Lot's of talent in the lower third, and into rounds two and three.

I completely agree with you about Jason Smith, both about liking him and about his being long gone by #23. I like both McCoy and Beatty a lot. My hope that Beatty would fall to us in the 2nd obviously isn't going to happen. Eben Britton and Knowshown Moreno would be reasonable alternatives at OT and RB at #23. I like the RBs but also don't see the need this year. Next year I could see us addressing RB if Maroney doesn't have a big year and with Morris' contract being up in 2009 and Maroney in 2010, but not right now given all the other needs unless the value is just overwhelming.

I agree that Will Moore is not a 1st round option at this time. In addition to DJ Moore and Alphonso Smith, I think that Sean Smith is still a possible option at #23 at this time. We'll have a much better idea of where he fits after the combine.

i would love to see maybin fall in rd.1 and even though rb is not a need, shonn greene, rd. 2.

i have a dream

1. aaron maybin
2a. sean smith
2b. shonn greene

i also like nicks, bey, and robiskie

William Moore

D.J Moore

I think you're getting to the right bunch of players. J.Smith will prob go top 10.
If you're thinking T, you can add E.Britton - Ariz. And, I think there is a chance K.Moreno
from Georgia drops. He's as good as McCoy. I was disappointed in B.Cushing and W. Moore(have been disappointed in his whole season) last night.

I think A.Smith at this point. Productive college player. Played in a big-conference.
Lots of tape on him out there. Hope like hell we get a 1st for Cassel. Then things get
really interesting.

1st pick is a toss up, but I'd love to see us get Shonn Greene in the 2nd round

Last edited:
Really like McKenzie who we supposedly spoke with at the senior bowl. Moore I think is going to fall a bit. I would really like us to sign Sean Jones from Cleveland in our backfield and reink sanders.

Back to the draft: Pettigrew I wouldn't mind due to the fact Thomas and Watson Free agents after this season. Tyrone Greene from Auburn and Captain Munnerlyn from SCarolina

Mayock LOVES OLB Curry and TE Pettigrew. Basically said both are complete, consistent, explosive players with almost no flaws. I would be ecstatic to have either with our top pick.

i would love to see maybin fall in rd.1 and even though rb is not a need, shonn greene, rd. 2.

i have a dream

1. aaron maybin
2a. sean smith
2b. shonn greene

i also like nicks, bey, and robiskie

My dream would be for Everette Brown to drop to us or within our range and then I like your second round picks. Smith looks like a safe bet for an above average FS and has a chance to be a very good cover cornerback

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News