PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you like for our 1st pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a name yet but it's got to be a secondary guy who can get his hands on the ball whether from Safety or CB. If he catches it, all the better, but we have to have more competitiveness throughout the secondary.

Yes, we call this someone a playmaker. In round one though, I only see two:

William Moore would be a target as the only round one playmaker at the Safety position. But my guess is he'll be gone.

Next up would be CB D.J. Moore, who may be available. He's worthy as a CB who fits the Pats profile, problem is, there are other CB options later on who also fit (and can catch). Therefore, it may be time to enact the 'value of the position' philosophy and pass on D.J...grabbing a CB later.

Time now to change positions:

Perhaps one of the big four OTs will slide. I'm partial to Jason Smith.

Finally, we have OLB Clint Sintim.

That's it for now. My four early bird picks. The answer for the OP lies within. :cool:

damn that blows..

Yeah, but I doubt he would have fallen to us anyways. He didn't have as good a year as the year before (statistically), but that was because teams were double teaming him all year. He kind of reminds me of Colvin, pre-injury: long and lanky and extremely quick off the ball. He's a guaranteed top 10 next year, possibly higher. I don't blame him for going back to school.

Percy Harvin RB/WR.

Aaron Maybin or William Moore.

Yes, we call this someone a playmaker. In round one though, I only see two:

William Moore would be a target as the only round one playmaker at the Safety position. But my guess is he'll be gone.

Next up would be CB D.J. Moore, who may be available. He's worthy as a CB who fits the Pats profile, problem is, there are other CB options later on who also fit (and can catch). Therefore, it may be time to enact the 'value of the position' philosophy and pass on D.J...grabbing a CB later.

Time now to change positions:

Perhaps one of the big four OTs will slide. I'm partial to Jason Smith.

Finally, we have OLB Clint Sintim.

That's it for now. My four early bird picks. The answer for the OP lies within. :cool:

My thoughts exactly. Id love W Moore - either that or the shutdown corner. Seems pretty deep in OLB talent

There are a handful of us who are looking closely at him.

According to both nfldraftcountdown.com and footballsfuture.com, Sintim looked very stiff yesterday. Russ Lande from The Sporting News says that scouts are concerned about Sintim's possible lack of athleticism and are looking closely at him in the Senior Bowl to see how he does, suggesting that he could drop out of the first day if he doesn't show good athletic ability.

Sounds a bit like Cliff Avril from Purdue last year (6'3", 252#) who was rumored as a 2nd round or possibly even late 1st round possibility last year. A lot of people had him going to the Pats at #63, if not higher. He fell to Detroit at #92 in the third because of a lack of athleticism.

The best Strong Safety or S/CB Hybrid we can get.

Be nice to have another franchise guy, similar to the angle Meri is heading.

I don't like DJ Moore in the 1st round, i would prefer Macho Harris or Alphonso Smith in round 2.

I like Sean Smith as a player, but he is a CB/S tweener so i don't think he can come in and make an impact at strong safety which is the safety position NE needs. If William Moore is available in round 1 you take him. If not i would wait until round 3 and take Nic Harris from Oklahoma.

I love Percy Harvin, but he is very injury prone. I think the better option would be Derrick Williams of Penn St. Same size/build, very fast (4.3's 40), and is a dynamic playmaker. He just wasn't fully used at Penn St., didn't have a good QB, and didn't get much exposure. He would be a much better value in round 4, rather than taking Harvin in round 1.

That leaves me to my #1 pick in 2009....OLB Clint Sintim who has a great build and is a terror on the pass rush. If not Sintim i like Lesean McCoy, to me a top 20 player, though i don't think NE takes a RB that high unless Beanie Wells happens to fall to them.

I think BJ Raji is going to fall into our laps ... look for us to get a second #1 pick for Cassel and that would be Max Unger.

Unger is a third round pick... BJ Raji is a penetrating Defensive Tackle, Ron Brace as a backup NT in the third or fourth is more reasonable.

Only if they get KC's #3 and take a once a decade Andre Smith, is there a reason to pick an OL in the first round, unless Oher falls to #23.

The Pats do NOT need an immediate starter. They only need a talented althletic stud with good feet, to develop as a LOT. That is a recipe for a second round developmental guy likes say Ciron Black or equivalent.

If they want an interior guy instead, similarly they don't need an immediate starter, merely a G/C to develop in two or three years or so, with more talent than Yates. Unger fits there, in the third round.:)

I still want Lauranitis, most of all.

Last edited:
Ignoring what we could/may get for a trade with Cassel or trade down what position or player would make you happy with our first pick.
My pick would be a CB.

Except there is only one worth it, and he will be gone.

Michael Johnson!!!

DE GA Tech

I don't like DJ Moore in the 1st round, i would prefer Macho Harris or Alphonso Smith in round 2.

I like Sean Smith as a player, but he is a CB/S tweener so i don't think he can come in and make an impact at strong safety which is the safety position NE needs. If William Moore is available in round 1 you take him. If not i would wait until round 3 and take Nic Harris from Oklahoma.

Macho Harris doesn't really fit our style of play, he's more of a Tampa-2 guy. He hasn't looked good so far at the Senior Bowl by all reports. Alphonso Smith is pretty short (5'8") but talented. I doubt he will fall to us in the 2nd round and I would prefer DJ Moore by far in the 1st.

Darius Butler from CT could be a real option, though his stock may shoot up. He's looked good so far at the Senior Bowl and has a lot of versatility.

Nic Harris at best will be another Tank Williams; NOT an option for us starting at S. He's been playing mostly LB at the senior bowl. Sounds a bit like Darnell Bing all over again.

Will Moore is an enigma right now. He may end up top-15, and he may end up 3rd round. He hasn't looked good so far at the Senior Bowl. A version of Will Moore as a junior would be great, but not Will Moore as a senior.

Belichick played Meriweather at SS quite a bit this year, and he seems to have done well. I would have considered him a pure FS, but the Pats do not really have a pure FS/SS scheme, and BB is more than capable of being creative. I could see keeping Meriweather at "SS" and playing Sean Smith (or someone else) at "FS", especially if Meriweather bulks up a bit. He's 5'11", 200# whereas Polamalu is 5'10" 207# and Bob Sanders is 5'8" 206#.

I love Percy Harvin, but he is very injury prone. I think the better option would be Derrick Williams of Penn St. Same size/build, very fast (4.3's 40), and is a dynamic playmaker. He just wasn't fully used at Penn St., didn't have a good QB, and didn't get much exposure. He would be a much better value in round 4, rather than taking Harvin in round 1.

That leaves me to my #1 pick in 2009....OLB Clint Sintim who has a great build and is a terror on the pass rush. If not Sintim i like Lesean McCoy, to me a top 20 player, though i don't think NE takes a RB that high unless Beanie Wells happens to fall to them.

I love Percy Harvin too, but he is injury prone and I think defense is the bigger need. I see Devin Moore as 90% of Percy Harvin in the 3rd round. I like McCoy but just don't see us spending #1 on RB this year. RB by committee worked well, and Maroney still has a year or two to prove himself.

Clint Sintim is definitely an option, but is a big question mark with scouts in terms of his agility and athleticism. He has looked stiff at the Senior Bowl so far from all accounts, and he could fall out of day 1 altogether if he does not show good athletic ability.

Macho Harris doesn't really fit our style of play, he's more of a Tampa-2 guy. He hasn't looked good so far at the Senior Bowl by all reports.

Darius Butler from CT could be a real option, though his stock may shoot up. He's looked good so far at the Senior Bowl and has a lot of versatility.

Clint Sintim is definitely an option, but is a big question mark with scouts in terms of his agility and athleticism. He has looked stiff at the Senior Bowl so far from all accounts, and he could fall out of day 1 altogether if he does not show good athletic ability.
Update from this morning's Senior Bowl practice:

Harris - Mayock and his partner were drooling over how well Harris was playing in the one-on-ones and gave him a big thumb's up in the wrap-up.

Butler - gets the "best feet" award, though he needs some refining.

Sintim - was praised highly by Mayock for "both" days and gets his nod for a 4-3 SLB in addition to his 3-4 OLB credentials. Sintim gets the BOR Stewart Bradley is my binkie ca. 2009
happy-smiley-541.gif

Harris - Mayock and his partner were drooling over how well Harris was playing in the one-on-ones and gave him a big thumb's up in the wrap-up.

Butler - gets the "best feet" award, though he needs some refining.

Sintim - was praised highly by Mayock for "both" days and gets his nod for a 4-3 SLB in addition to his 3-4 OLB credentials. Sintim gets the BOR Stewart Bradley is my binkie ca. 2009
happy-smiley-541.gif

BOR, any word on how LSU DE Tyson Jackson is doing at the senior bowl?

BOR, any word on how LSU DE Tyson Jackson is doing at the senior bowl?
The South Squad practice is this afternoon on NFLN, I'll be watching for him.

BOR & others, would you kindly oblige by posting all of your Senior Bowl observations/notes in the convenient 2009 Senior Bowl thread. This will make it much easier to track any pertinent info we may want come draft time. Much appreciated - thanks.

BOR & others, would you kindly oblige by posting all of your Senior Bowl observations/notes in the convenient 2009 Senior Bowl thread. This will make it much easier to track any pertinent info we may want come draft time. Much appreciated - thanks.
tongue-smiley-8861.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back