PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who can we trade for picks?

The Pats have the following for RB signed for next year:

Maroney, Fred Taylor, Morris, Chris Taylor, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Eric Kettani.

Kevin Faulk is a UFA.

The Pats don't need a Corey Dillon Type RB. They need an O-line than can run block consistently. The Ravens O-line weren't blowing their guys up. They were just holding their blocks until Rice and McGahee got by. If the Pats O-line could do that, then Maroney, Morris, Fred Taylor and a pass catching 3rd down back (ala Faulk) would be a devestating backfield.
Kettani won't be available until 2011 unless the DOD has a sudden policy change.

I think you can trade Adalius for a decent pick, a 4th rounder or so, which isn't bad in this draft.

If it were me, I'd do a couple things for this draft to accumulate picks. One, I'd trade 2011 picks into 2010, because a lot of young guys are jumping into the draft. I'd trade a 2nd rounder for a third. I'd also trade down from our 22nd spot into the early 2nd round to accumulate even more picks, say a 3rd and an extra 4th.

The Patriots can then target these pass rushers who may be available in the early 2nd and later rounds, grab 2 or 3 of them:

DE/OLB

Everson Griffen, USC, Jr.
Antonio Coleman, Auburn
Jerry Hughes, TCU
Ricky Sapp, Clemson
Corey Wootton, Northwestern
Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
Carlos Dunlap, Florida, Jr.
Brandon Graham, Michigan

or

OLB

Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
Sergio Kindle, Texas
Eric Norwood, South Carolina

Then they can grab at least 3 of these guys who should also be there in the 2nd rounds and later:

Golden Tate, Notre Dame Jr.
Brandon LaFell, LSU
Damian Williams, USC, Jr.
Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
Arrelious Benn, Illinois, Jr.
Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech, Jr.
Jordan Shipley, Texas
Danario Alexander, Missouri
Jacoby Ford, Clemson
Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas
Antonio Brown, C. Michigan
Marcus Easley, UConn

or pass catching TEs:

Jermaine Gresham
Aaron Hernandez, Florida

I'd like to see 2 DEs, one being Carlos Dunlap who can replace Seymour (Dunlap weighs 290 already AND he can rush the passer), and a passing downs tweener DE/OLB in a 3/4 type. Then I'd like to see 2 more OLBs who can pass rush and are versatile, like South Carolina's Eric Norwood.

My top receivers would be Benn, Gilyard, Damian Williams, in that order, though Jacoby Ford would be intriguing with his 4.25 40, and at the least, he becomes your special teams threat.

I need 7 picks to pull this off, and so far I only have 4 in the first 2 rounds, and 5 in the first 4 rounds.

I need 2 more picks, either by trading Adalius for a 6th pick, or trading down from 22.

If they were to come out of this draft with 3 good WRs, 2 of whom (Gilyard and Williams) are known as outstanding route-runners with a football player mentality, as well as 4 pass rushers at the DE and OLB spot, then they can fill in the rest of the needs at G and ILB later.

Yes, I'm not as concerned about the OL and run stopping as I am with the lack of a pass rush and the WRs. I'm not saying the interior of the OL is not a concern, but it's not as big as pass rush and WRs.

I'm fine with Maroney, and I have confidence that if he is traded, he can be replaced by a free agent like Chet Taylor or heck, shoot higher, Cadillac Williams.

Does anyone believe that New England has to think about trading Moss? I mean a good point was raised on the radio yesterday about him typically not showing up in the playoffs or scoring for that matter over his career. The point was made that Branch has been more productive by comparison. I don't know, I don't see the Patriots getting more than a fourth round pick for him. It depends, which teams need a number one veteran wide receiver. Or, perhaps, the question should say, which team is willing to give up a decent draft pick this year for an aging wide receiver who's motivation is often questioned.

I do agree that Brady needs to get back to throwing the ball to the players who are open as oppose to doing his best to find Moss. But then, Brady's targets need retooling. Maybe, both Moss and Watson are gone this off-season. Certainly, you can live with Welker and Edelman but they can't be it. And Tate's probably a special teams standout at best.

Certainly, you can live with Welker and Edelman but they can't be it.

And right now you don't even have that, which is why trading Moss is, as has been noted before, essentially a non-starter unless someone is crazy enough to cough up two or three firsts for him.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back