PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Saints receiver worries you the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGowan will neutralize Shockey. If he can make Dallas Clark a non-factor Shockey should be easy.

The Saints are a great team but I'm feeling really confident about a Pats win Monday.

Colston without question. Unless we want to consider Bush's overall versatility.

Colston, though none of them is as good as Moss or Welker individually.

I'd take Colston or Moore over Welker any day. And the way Meachum is playing as of late I would have to think hard about it. I like welker but.... whatever.

Well the Saints fans think we should worry about:

"Colston, Moore, Meachem, Bush, P. Thomas, D. Thomas, Shockey, Bell, Henderson > Moss and Welker"

Hate to break it to you but..

Moss>Colston
Welker>Meachem
Edelman<Henderson
Stanback<Moore
Watson=Shockey
Baker>D. Thomas
Faulk>R. Bush
Morris<P. Thomas
Maroney=Bell

I love how they think they have 9 superweapons and we only have 2. As you can see above, its 4-3-2 Pats for offensive talent. The only argue you could give is Bush over Faulk, but I would choose Faulk.

First off any Saints fan that is not worried about Moss is CRAZY! You can say just double cover him but we all know nobody in this league is double covered all game long and good QB's always seem to catch you in that moment. You got to realize that if you put Sharper over the top of Moss all game while you may take Moss out of the game you also take Sharper out. Basically telling Brady this is where he will be all night. Very valuable info if you ask me given the big plays Sharper has made all year.

As far as the above analysis I will add my thoughts.

Moss>Colston
If Moss is a 10 than Colston is a 9.9. I will concede that Moss is a better, if not best ever, vertical WR but Colston beats him hands down when it comes to going over the middle and making the tough catches.

Welker>Meachem
More like Welker Vs. Moore and Welker is the best at that position so he wins hands down. Moore has not played much this year but he is one of those undrafted guys that does not having eye popping speed but runs good routes and catches everything. Welker's stats are ridiculous this yr.

Edelman<Henderson
Can not way I know much about Edelman but Henderson has grown up and became a man this year. Has not dropped many and has been very reliable. Will burn you if you think you can cover him one on one.

Stanback<Moore
This would be where your Meachem comparison comes in and Meachem beats Stanback hands down. 16 catches with 6 TD's is all I can say. Another guy you can not cover one on one. Kinda like a baby Moss. Tall, fast, good hands and catches it at it's highest point.

Watson=Shockey
Agreed

Baker>D. Thomas
Crazy! We thank you all for him. I think we got the best of that deal. He has been very versatile for us and has made some real big catches. Plays three positions technically and even though he has not made many big plays his worth to the team with Evans going down has been priceless. Thanks for Evans to and I mean that in a respectful way. Any Pat you can get on your team that can play is a good addition cause of the experience.

Faulk>R. Bush
You underestimate Bush's impact on the field and on ST. Bush is the winner here because even when he's not making plays he makes plays. His movements are influence LB's and S's to the point where the WR slip behind them and score. At best this is a tie.

Morris<P. Thomas
Agreed.

Maroney=Bell
Agreed.

I do think we have much more firepower on offense but that fact that you all have Brady and he is just like Brees when it comes to distributing the football. It will be a close one but I do think you all are underestimating the impact the Superdome has on opposing teams and please do not try and compare us to Indy. Trust me it's not the same.

And don't forget about former Patriot David Thomas. He has been becoming more of a factor with each passing game and the dude can play. And any player like to show up his former team. SP loves to run 2 TE sets so while the Pats are worrying about covering Shockey, who's going to take care of Thomas?

I'd take Colston or Moore over Welker any day. And the way Meachum is playing as of late I would have to think hard about it. I like welker but.... whatever.

Take Meachem or Moore over Welker... are you high?
Moore: In 5 games this season, 13 Rec, 146 Yards, 1 TD. He Had a good year last year (79 Rec, 928 Yards, 10 TDs), but he really hasn't done much yet in his short career.

Meachem this year: 16 Rec, 333 Yard, 6 TDs on pace for 26 Rec, 533 Yards, 10 TDs.

Welker this year: 79 Rec, 854 Yards, 4 TDs on pace for 126 REC, 1366 Yards, 6 TDs That would make it 3 straight seasons with over 100 Rec and 1,000 Yards.

So you would take two guys who really haven't proven anything (oh my, Meachem is hot in the red zone right now!) over a guy who has been ridiculous the last 3 years? Oh, and it's MeachEm, not Meachum.

Last edited:

Then you're ******ed. Meachem has proven nothing compared to Welker.

:rofl:

I love when fans just brush Moss off.. "yeah so and so will take care of Moss so we're all set....blah, blah".

Even Revis gave up a TD...

yes Revis gave up a TD but he otherwise shut down Moss twice in one year so I wouldn't be using his games against Revis as a point in his favor.

Hey, I agree with you guys but I don't see Welker with a ring people.

So SB rings are now a variable that needs to be factored into determining who is the better WR? C'mon. That's bush-league.

Colston and Welker is a legitimate argument.

All the others comparisons is laughable.

Hey, I agree with you guys but I don't see Welker with a ring people.

ok? He was 1 Asante Samuel drop away from Superbowl MVP. I think Meachem is a great talent who may one day be a better receiver than Welker, although they are asked to do different things, but he isn't there right now. the Pats suffer tremendously without Welker in the offense, the Saints would roll right along with Meachem, one is clearly more valuable.

Easily Colston. He's the best of the group, IMO, and our corners have generally had problems slowing down the big, physical type of receivers who can go up a mile for the ball. He's going to be the most trouble for us. Personally, I think we'll shut Shockey down. McGowan will probably have that assignment most of the time.

Like someone else said - they're all really good. If I had to pick one it'd be Colston. Reggie Bush is kinda worrying me as well.

I would worry about Lance Moore if I were coaching N.E., he was our #1 receiver last year and has amazing ball skills, concentration,and speed.
But this offense is built as a "you cant cover every" offense so its touph to pin down whos going to be good week to week, brees will pass to who get open.

BB got it perfect in his press conference
Bill Belichick Press Conference

Lance Moore
YouTube - Lance Moore

I would worry about Lance Moore if I were coaching N.E., he was our #1 receiver last year and has amazing ball skills, concentration,and speed.
But this offense is built as a "you cant cover every" offense so its touph to pin down whos going to be good week to week, brees will pass to who get open.

Lance Moore
YouTube - Lance Moore

The key to shutting down the Saints offense is getting to Brees while also preventing the screen to Bush. If the Pats can do that, then they will hamper the Saints enough to allow the Pats to win the game.

The key to shutting down the Saints offense is getting to Brees while also preventing the screen to Bush. If the Pats can do that, then they will hamper the Saints enough to allow the Pats to win the game.

do you blitz or just try to pressure with front 3 + 1?

The key is to make any team one dimensional. Thats going to be tough to do to us, at home, in the Dome.

Take Meachem or Moore over Welker... are you high?
Moore: In 5 games this season, 13 Rec, 146 Yards, 1 TD. He Had a good year last year (79 Rec, 928 Yards, 10 TDs), but he really hasn't done much yet in his short career.

Meachem this year: 16 Rec, 333 Yard, 6 TDs on pace for 26 Rec, 533 Yards, 10 TDs.

Welker this year: 79 Rec, 854 Yards, 4 TDs on pace for 126 REC, 1366 Yards, 6 TDs That would make it 3 straight seasons with over 100 Rec and 1,000 Yards.

So you would take two guys who really haven't proven anything (oh my, Meachem is hot in the red zone right now!) over a guy who has been ridiculous the last 3 years? Oh, and it's MeachEm, not Meachum.

I actually did Welker's on pace stats wrong in my thread, it's actually:

138 Rec 1494 Yards 7 TD

Last edited:
Colston is definitely the big one. They are all good and as others have said they have the best group of wideouts in the league and then Shockey as well.

After Colston, the guy I'm most worried about is Shockey. We gotta shut him down to prevent them making first downs.

Lance Moore
YouTube - Lance Moore

These guys sound an awful lot like the Pats of old but with better receivers. I haven't seen enough of Brees to really know but the results speak for themselves. All he does is win which is what we said early on about Tom. Sounds like he sees the field very well which is the toughest type to stop. We'll need pressure from TBC and Thomas or it'll be a long day methinks.

These guys sound an awful lot like the Pats of old but with better receivers. I haven't seen enough of Brees to really know but the results speak for themselves. All he does is win which is what we said early on about Tom. Sounds like he sees the field very well which is the toughest type to stop. We'll need pressure from TBC and Thomas or it'll be a long day methinks.

i wouldnt disagree there...back when you had Troy Brown and Branch and Patten. Not individual world-beaters, but understood thier respective roles and executed them to a tee. Drew will find the open guy. Colston had a great quote on Sirius 124 NFL Radio when talking with Pat Kirwan. He said "Drew can throw a receiver open".Speaks volumes about accuracy. I think Brady has the same ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents