PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's with all the fines on the Patriots defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Interestingly, all four players named to the Pro Bowl have been fined at least once this season.

Chung has been fined for his play in a game as well.

Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo has been informed by the NFL he will be fined for at least one of the several huge hits he laid on the Bills during Sunday's 34-3 rout of Buffalo at Ralph Wilson Stadium, according to the Boston Herald.

Mayo told the paper that the league told him he’s been fined for at least one hit in game but wasn’t sure which one was deemed too violent or unnecessary.

Report: Mayo fined for hit against Bills

Brandon Meriweather wins appeal and fine reduced to $40K

NFL

Meriweather has had his fine reduced from $50K to $40K for the hit on Todd Heap in week 6.

Re: Brandon Meriweather wins appeal and fine reduced to $40K

I guess they are figuring out Goddell's "Dartboard Policy" isn't working out very well.

They really need to do something about this in the off-season. I understand the need to protect guys, but this doesn't really do much other than cause confusion and frustration.

There is equipment out there to reduce concussions that should become mandatory. There's just no reason not to do this.

They also need to make clearer rules about what constitutes a fine. Incidental contact shouldn't count. Defenders going to tackle shouldn't be fined if they aimed low but the receiver then lowers his head (like what happened in McCourty's fine). Intent should matter. Half the time, the refs don't even throw a flag unless Goodell is in the stadium.

And if we're about protecting players, lets also take the chop blocks more seriously and start protecting defensive players as well.

I also have become aware of the player concussions this season. Perhaps, this is in conjunction with the many fines across the league. I don't know, but the fines being levied this season are getting out of hand.

I'm honestly surprised by the number of New England players fines specifically.

But then, the "big hit" is like the loud slam dunk in football. Some players want to make the highlight reel. I mean that's what was suggested by the local media of Meriweather this season.

Mayo fined 10k for Bills hit

Total bull sh!t, maybe someone has to inform Goody and Anderson that in football one of the objects is to Hit you're opponent HARD so they will be afraid doing that, catching the ball.....WTF.

Goodell has been in the news non stop since he was elected un like his predecessors Tagliaboo and Rozell. IMO thats much to often hes slowly destroying the game.

Mayo fined 10k for Bills hit - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

OXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo said today that he has been $10,000 for a second-quarter hit in Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills.

Mayo was not told which second-quarter hit drew the fine. It could have been his fourth-and-12 hit on Bills receiver Steve Johnson, which broke up a would-be first down, or possibly a second-and-8 hit on Bills receiver David Nelson in which Nelson remained down after the hit.

Last edited:
Re: Mayo fined 10k for Bills hit

Mayo was not told which second-quarter hit drew the fine.

wth... they fine him but don't tell him for what they are fining him? This is outrageous!

I really hope he submits an appeal, there is a very good chance he'll win. The hard hit against nelson I believe was exactly what the nfl should want, a hard hit but also clean.

If this fine stands then goddell needs to just come out and say it: "we want players to hit softer" and be done with it so i can stop watching.

How can they fine him but not tell him where the fine occurred? That's ridiculous. Let him see what exactly caused the violation, if there even was one.

Unsympathetic as I may be toward Patriots players and their fines, for the life of me I don't get where the NFL is going with its disciplinary policy.

From before Spygate:

This guy's been awful. But, at least he's been able to piss on all the furniture and mark his territory.

I've seen nothing to make me improve my opinion of the omissioner.

Last edited:

When is this **** gonna stop??:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I saw something mentioning Meriwether won an appeal and had a fine from earlier in the season reduced, earning him a refund. But truly, this is getting Retahded.

The way these fines are being handed out, I am surprised the fine was only 10K.

the funny thing is that when I was watching this game, the announcers called the hits as good, clean hits and that Mayo should not be fined for them.

From before Spygate:

Great post Cousin!
DW Toys

From before Spygate:

Appropriate imagery. Just hope that Box doesn't see it as an insult to cats.

Totally outrageous. Nothing illegal or malicious about that hit whatsoever. It happened so quickly Mayo had no time to change his body position. :bricks:

I think what we want from the Omish is for him to jump in with both feet and get a good toe hold on the situation,then, after Westhoff explains why it's all Mayo's fault, Sal Alosi can trip Jerod so he falls at the feet of Wrecksie's wife, who will hold them out and ask Mayo if he wants a goddamned snack...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back