PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's not in the Wells report is as telling as what is in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Kraft and coach Belichick hire someone to run psi levels during games and have the results displayed publicly. When the results coincides with the IGL there can no longer be any denial about what happened and all the haters will have a lot of crow to eat. The league would also have to admit they were wrong. It would be like freeing an innocent person after having served ten years that they found new DNA evidence that exonerated him.
the team should hire private investigators to monitor who is around the team at all times.

The one thing that stood out to me yesterday was when the judge asked about evidence that the balls were deflated. The league said they had other evidence, and the judge asked if it was from the Colts game. The league said no, so the judge dismissed it as irrelevant.
But this is the leagues whole point of view! They are trying to pile all the innuendos from all the games into one giant FU Patriots for the Colts game.
They have no evidence, they have no witnesses, they have no science. They only have league innuendo that the Pats always deflate the balls.
They assume this to be a fact. All judgements by the league are based on this assumed knowledge. So anything that does not prove the working league hypothesis is regarded as a lie! How can anyone prove something if everything said to them is regarded as a lie?
The question is, why announce to the world the sting they were running during the highlight of the year. The championship game and the super bowl?
What moron thought this was a good time to do this. To throw into question one of the two Super Bowl teams? To drag the league thru the mud to frame the Pats for this minor infraction?
It makes me think that even when this issue is resolved, there will be more issues coming for the Pats! Someone wants to hurt them, they want to hurt them badly!

In another thread about Brian Hoyer, Hoyer mentions that he knows nothing about PSI and is only concerned with the feel of the ball. I think this is evidence that Brady wasn't doing anything since Hoyer would likely be aware of it. It's curious that Wells did not interview him or any other former Pats QBs. It made me begin to think about what else is not in the report that would support Brady and the team's innocence. What's not in the report is probably as telling to the dishonesty of the investigation as what is in it.

I'm listing a few items below, but I'd like for others to brainstorm and list things in this thread as well. It could be very interesting.

They don't talk to other refs to find out about McNally's behavior
They don't talk to other refs to see if they noticed the balls were soft in previous games.
This came about because it's "widely known around the league" that the Pats play with deflated footballs. Yet there is nothing in the report about anyone else making such an accusation.
There's practically nothing from McNally's 7+ hour interrogation in the report nor Jastremski's interrogation.
What about Brady's 5 hour interrogation?
What about the other Patriots employees?
How about questioning the other Tom that was mentioned in the texts?
Obviously no one talked to former QBs from the team.
Neither Wells nor Exponent obtained the Colts or Pats gauges or analyzed their pregame process to help in determining which gauge was used.

They don't explicitly state how much air they think McNally released from the footballs. They have all the pretty charts and nifty time tables but nothing that states "it is our conclusion that McNally released .3 psi from each football". They knew that would blow up the whole witch hunt.

They also do not explain why and who chose to re-inflate the footballs at halftime instead of keeping as evidence. They had a whole bag of backup footballs ready to go sitting in a bag in the same room so why not use them?

Great post by the way.

NFL guy has history of stealing game balls to sell for profit. He steals the Ravens prepped K Ball and switches in a box K Ball. The Ravens see the boxed K ball and blame the Patriots. The Ravens tell the Colts the Patriots swapped the K Balls. Then at the AFC Championship game the NFL guy steals another K Ball and the NFL swaps in a boxed K ball. This entire thing starts because of NFL misconduct.

In another thread about Brian Hoyer, Hoyer mentions that he knows nothing about PSI and is only concerned with the feel of the ball. I think this is evidence that Brady wasn't doing anything since Hoyer would likely be aware of it. It's curious that Wells did not interview him or any other former Pats QBs. It made me begin to think about what else is not in the report that would support Brady and the team's innocence. What's not in the report is probably as telling to the dishonesty of the investigation as what is in it.

I'm listing a few items below, but I'd like for others to brainstorm and list things in this thread as well. It could be very interesting.

They don't talk to other refs to find out about McNally's behavior
They don't talk to other refs to see if they noticed the balls were soft in previous games.
This came about because it's "widely known around the league" that the Pats play with deflated footballs. Yet there is nothing in the report about anyone else making such an accusation.
There's practically nothing from McNally's 7+ hour interrogation in the report nor Jastremski's interrogation.
What about Brady's 5 hour interrogation?
What about the other Patriots employees?
How about questioning the other Tom that was mentioned in the texts?
Obviously no one talked to former QBs from the team.
Neither Wells nor Exponent obtained the Colts or Pats gauges or analyzed their pregame process to help in determining which gauge was used.

I think the number 1 thing is why do they not have tape of McNally taking the balls into the rest room for other games?

How much PSI is lost from testing the footballs?

Wells had instructions, or he believed his job was, to find there was deflation. thats all there is to it.

for a gifted writer, it is not very difficult to write a persuasive legal document in one sides favor even if there isnt that much evidence in your favor. especially when the other side doesnt even have an opportunity to rebut.

What about the Colts' infractions? They were busted for pumping in crowd noise right? What was the penalty they received for that? Maybe they were pumping in crowd noise during our games over the years in Indy. Plus, when the Colts guy checked the level of the ball after the Jackson interception in the AFCCG isn't that a violation of rules?

I hope Kraft and coach Belichick hire someone to run psi levels during games

It would have to be done with footballs of a very different look -- let's say a different color. That and the fact of their non-use would affect readings somewhat.

However, as a practical matter the league would quickly order them to cut it out, so the PR gain would be quickly achieved and locked in, such as it would be.

Glad to hear on the radio today for the first time a point I have been making. The Ravens told the Colts the Patriots switched a prepped K Ball for a box one. Then it comes out an NFL official is stealing and selling them and does the exact same thing at the Colts game. This all started because an NFL guy stole the Ravens K Ball and set up the Pats as the fall guys.

The colts equip guy testing pats ball on sideline, wtf is he doing with gauge and needle on sideline and sticking it into a ball ? Isnt that illegal...cheating....why wasnt it investigated ?

Another thing no one mentions or do questions anymore. QB's and referees handle balls all the time with the squeezing test and can't say anything about psi levels, but a linebacker who rarely touches the ball, intercepts a pass and detect that the ball was under inflated? What a joke.

What about the Colts' infractions? They were busted for pumping in crowd noise right? What was the penalty they received for that? Maybe they were pumping in crowd noise during our games over the years in Indy. Plus, when the Colts guy checked the level of the ball after the Jackson interception in the AFCCG isn't that a violation of rules?

None of that matters. All the matters is what Goodell and his thug monkeys can hang on New England.

NFL guy has history of stealing game balls to sell for profit. He steals the Ravens prepped K Ball and switches in a box K Ball. The Ravens see the boxed K ball and blame the Patriots. The Ravens tell the Colts the Patriots swapped the K Balls. Then at the AFC Championship game the NFL guy steals another K Ball and the NFL swaps in a boxed K ball. This entire thing starts because of NFL misconduct.

And that has been completely covered up. This guy was stealing from a charity and, from what I remember, the league was aware of this prior to the game. How long was he doing this? How much money was he making? When did the league find out about this and why did the let him work the AFCCG? What's on his cell phone? We have no idea because the league, as far as we know, didn't look into this and the media didn't think it was important.

I think it's interesting that the likes of TMZ hasn't broken a story involving the two ballboys and their "cheating" for the Patriots.

There's a good reason for that.

The popular answer by the haters is that they've been paid off. That theory doesn't guarantee they'll stay quiet forever, though. There's nothing preventing them from taking Brady's money and then taking TMZ's money to talk.

And that has been completely covered up. This guy was stealing from a charity and, from what I remember, the league was aware of this prior to the game. How long was he doing this? How much money was he making? When did the league find out about this and why did the let him work the AFCCG? What's on his cell phone? We have no idea because the league, as far as we know, didn't look into this and the media didn't think it was important.

And was Roger Generally aware etc........

"it is our conclusion that McNally released .3 psi from each football"

"But remember that whole gauge fiasco where we specifically rejected the original testimony in order to create the worst possible result? And the fact that the worst possible outcome is the same as the gap between the two gauges and would have been entirely explained had we listened to Anderson in the first place? That's not relevant because these are not the droids you are looking for."

How much PSI is lost from testing the footballs?

The Exponent team tested that. It's in the Wells report so not sure how reliable this is. The testing was done in a "experimental" environment and obviously was not real world results. But for an FYI purpose. By the way, if you add up all the what if's it would add up to what the Wells report implies was missing.

What if air leaked out during testing?
What effect did evaporation have on the balls?
What if the gauges everyone used were out of calibration? (Which is actually a high possibility)
What if.......

upload_2015-8-13_18-22-14.png

"But remember that whole gauge fiasco where we specifically rejected the original testimony in order to create the worst possible result? And the fact that the worst possible outcome is the same as the gap between the two gauges and would have been entirely explained had we listened to Anderson in the first place? That's not relevant because these are not the droids you are looking for."

Part of the argument they use against the Logo gauge and how they rationalize that Walt used the non-logo gauge is the reasoning that it would mean that the Colts footballs would have to have been inflated to 12.6 psi. Walt remembers the balls were at 13 or 13.1 psi.

But later on in the exponent annex they test 50 new gauges. Notice in the chart below how inaccurate new gauges can be. 22 new gauges measured 0.1 - 0.4 psi below calibration. Gauges should be calibrated at least once a year IF you really give a crap about how exact the actual pressure is.

So how possible is it that the Colts guys gauge was out of Calibration? I think very possible.

upload_2015-8-13_18-40-36.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes