PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will the NFL do to take care of all the bad officiating going on

The rules are too subjective to officiate consistently and there are just way too many ways to commit a foul in football, so much so that getting/not getting a call is as much a part of the game as the actual play. There is really no objective defining line between blocking and holding, physical play and interference, incidental contact and leading with the head and so on. I don't think they can do much about it other than dramatically redesign rules to make it less subjective. For the time being we just have to hope that we get more calls than the other team.

Bingo. The funny part is people complain whenever a "less subjective" rule is enforced. For example, people had a hissy fit over Calvin Johnson failing to get up with the football after making a catch in the end zone. Another example--folks on this here website complaining about the Chris Jones push on the FG. Bottom line--play hard, try to get home field throughout the playoffs to maximize your chances of getting the better of the officiating, and don't otherwise worry about it.

The fair catch thing has been a pet peeve of mine for about 2 years now. They were letting guys get close and now that everyone has gotten used to playing 'close' to the punt returner; the coverage players are pushing the envelope and there is NO REF PUSHBACK.

The old college halo rule needs to be put back in or one of these days a returner is going to get killed by having his neck bent looking in the air while somebody who didnt bother to see the fair catch is going to spear him.

The NFL goes on-and-on about WRs being defenseless; when the PRs really most are. WRs get a little bit of choice about their route and can juke the defender w/ dbl moves etc. The PR HAS TO GO WHERE THE PUNT IS LANDING.

THIS!

I can't understand why the NFL allows PR's to be human sacrifices. Yesterday, Edelman was actually bumped while making a fair catch. That has to be an automatic flag.

You're a lawyer ,Deb...I WANNA SUE!!!!!!!...alienation of expectations...my only aim is to form a public referendum on the leadership of Der Scheisskopf Fuhrer,Goodell.

I think there is a point where "letting the players play" is counter productive. This was the reverse of some of the bad officiating we have seen, but about as bad.
Right, if players go too far then they'll actively begin committing penalties when they know they can get away wit hit. that could have an adverse affect on player safety (or is Goodell's stance on player safety just smoke an mirrors...yeah a bit of sarcasm there in that last statement).

I think the worst call of the day was the made-up intentional grounding against KC when Alex Smith was two yards outside of the pocket.

What made it even worse was Manning had a more egregious intentional grounding that they refused to call.

Triplette is the worst. He's the one who made the infamous "face guarding" penalty, and then did not call a touch back when Ben Watson punched the ball out of Champ Bailey's hands through the end zone in that infamous Denver playoff game at the end of the 2005 season. Incredible that he still has a job.

Don't forget when he permanently ruined the eye of an offensive lineman by not paying attention to where he was throwing a flag.

He must have pictures of someone to still have a job.

You're a lawyer ,Deb...I WANNA SUE!!!!!!!...alienation of expectations...my only aim is to form a public referendum on the leadership of Der Scheisskopf Fuhrer,Goodell.

LOL, Joker you would not have much of a case. You are not an intended beneficiary of the NFL's contract with Jeff Triplette (at least that is the argument the NFL would make), particularly since you hate the Jets. Just think of it! All Roger Goodell would have to do is come on here and see how much you bash his beloved team and he would hire the biggest and most expensive lawyers he could find and pound your lowly, Patsloving, sorry ***** into the ground! Besides, based on how the rest of NFL fandom views the Pats and their supposed "teacher's pet" arrangement with the refs, a Pats fan leading the charge probably wouldn't go very far!

It's not only the officiating. The NFLPA's virtually abolishing practice and the NFL's encouragement of fantasy football have brought the league a step closer to the NBA. Defense has been all but legislated out of the game. What's going on is preposterous.

yeah...BUT...I AM a case..a NUTCASE...and if this society loves ANYTHING it loves a good public nutty...I don't have to be right or have a case...all I need is to be thrusted into the public media..I'll do the rest.

What happened in the Skins/Giants game last night is unconscionable. They completely ruined the end of that game with the 1st down not a 1st down nonsense. Regardless of whether or not it was an actual 1st down they should have had the right communication to the coaches and Shanahan was right that they should have had a measurement at the very least.

nothing...it's the nfl

LOL, Joker you would not have much of a case. You are not an intended beneficiary of the NFL's contract with Jeff Triplette (at least that is the argument the NFL would make), particularly since you hate the Jets. Just think of it! All Roger Goodell would have to do is come on here and see how much you bash his beloved team and he would hire the biggest and most expensive lawyers he could find and pound your lowly, Patsloving, sorry ***** into the ground! Besides, based on how the rest of NFL fandom views the Pats and their supposed "teacher's pet" arrangement with the refs, a Pats fan leading the charge probably wouldn't go very far!

How are we not intended beneficiaries of Triplette's job performance? He's part of the NFL's product being sold to us. Also, I'd think Goodell's intimate Jets connection and mishandled cameragate edicts would more than balance Joker's demonstrated Jets hatred. You have your marching orders, Deb. Get to work. :D

How are we not intended beneficiaries of Triplette's job performance? He's part of the NFL's product being sold to us. Also, I'd think Goodell's intimate Jets connection and mishandled cameragate edicts would more than balance Joker's demonstrated Jets hatred. You have your marching orders, Deb. Get to work. :D

LOL, my work is cut out for me. Remember the Jets season ticket holder who sued either BB, the Pats or the NFL? Can't remember which, but Goodell couldn't even help him recover anything. And the NFL would label Joker, a lowly Pats fan, an incidental beneficiary, not an intended one (after all, why would the NFL intend anyone to be a Pats fan?). Too bad I am not licensed to practice in NY. It might be worth the price of admission to see Joker and Goodell duke it out in court...

The NFL will do nothing all they care about is money. As long as the money keeps on coming in they won't do anything. They should do something, anything to make them better they are horrible.

The NFL could learn a lot from MLB when it comes to making officials accountable. MLB umps meet the media after games where a mess up or controversial call happens. Not just with a pool reporter or statements.
Just look at this years World Series or the perfect game that was blown by the umpire a few years ago. The umps had to explain their call and in the almost perfect game admit they made a huge mistake.

The NFL could learn a lot from MLB when it comes to making officials accountable. MLB umps meet the media after games where a mess up or controversial call happens. Not just with a pool reporter or statements.
Just look at this years World Series or the perfect game that was blown by the umpire a few years ago. The umps had to explain their call and in the almost perfect game admit they made a huge mistake.

Until they hire the refs as full-time officials these mistakes will happen

How about the PI call on KC when Peyton threw the ball a mile over the receivers head, what happened to the uncatchable ball rule we had shoved down our throats after the Carolina debacle?

Th NFL changes the explanation of the way rules are applied on a weekly basis.....to cover their own asses.

One week it's an uncatchable ball, the next week it isn't
One week it's a push on a FG attempt, next week it isn't

I think it's the inconsistency of teh way the rules are applied from game to game that is so frustrating.

But that call in the Skins/Giants game! How can you go back and say it's 4th & 1 after awarding a 1st down and a play had been run.

I was always under the impression that once the ball is snapped, the previous play cannot be challenged or reversed.

apparantley I was wrong

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back