PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What We've Learned: Devin McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
th_coffee.gif

Which, pray tell, is your team?

You're obviously quite intelligent and demonstrably quite literate, but the overall impression you make here is that urinating in our Koolaid is what makes *you* happy. It should be no surprise that on a Patriots fanatic board you'd become less than popular.

You usually do a better job of covering yourself with a fig leaf of objectivity than you did with the McCourty post. It was quite an unimpressive sight.

Day of Wrath indeed, and well earned.

Back to McCourty himself, I again refer fans here of the Patriots to the very encouraging NFLDraftScout.com report on him, which is by far the most detailed and interesting report I've seen anywhere:

Devin McCourty, Rutgers, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

And, yes, his "fluid hips" are specifically called out yet again. I'm actually now curious about the source of the alleged report to the contrary, as I haven't been able to find it. Given his superb 3-Cone (6.7 sec, 2nd best amongst corners at the Combine, and much better than Butler's 6.92 sec last year), it would surprising if he exhibited lateral stiffness...

Don't recall you being balanced, sorry. Your McCourty post was absurdly gratuitously negative, not nearly up to your usual standards. Haven't noticed you adducing support for it since, either. Your attacks here on Ken were irritating as well.

Yeah, the ****/Zelazny novel, by two of my favorite SF authors. The name's a play on "dies irae", but "god of wrath" is a bit pretentious, don't you think?

"wraithe" is more like it.:bricks:

hmmmm, disappearing Wolfdoosh-like post. Although i can't recall the specific scout, the link to the report about McCourty's hips being bad was linked in these forums on a thread shortly after the draft. Either way, anyone who thinks he's slow, or struggles against "big' recievers, is in for an education this year. This kid is the real deal.

Don't recall you ever being balanced, sorry. Maybe you were boring when you were.

Well, that's on you, not me.

Your McCourty post was absurdly, gratuitously negative, not nearly up to your usual standards.

hmmm...

Well, to date, we've learned that he's a cornerback taken in the first round even though he can't shift his hips well in transition and will be a target for deep passes as a result.

Now, let's hope that we eventually learn that he's been able to overcome this liability even at the NFL level.

If you find that absurdly, gratuitously negative, you should reassess your definitions.

Haven't noticed you adducing support for it since, either.

Not really something I'm concerned with.

Your attacks here on Ken were uncalled for as well.

Ken "attacked" my post. That being changed to me making attacks on Ken is an interesting flip of the timeline.

And your sig is a red flag. ;-)

:confused2:

It's a humorous demotivator.

Yeah, the ****/Zelazny novel, by two of my favorite SF authors. The name's a play on "dies irae", but "god of wrath" is a bit pretentious, don't you think?

It fits the story.

the only person i have heard say McCourty's hips aren't fluid were the draft analyzers on ESPN after we picked him and they couldn't find any info to talk about him. They showed him doing some drills at the combine and said his hips looked stiff.

Now as some of the pother posters on here have pointed out. Many other in depth reports have said otherwise and his agility testing seems to back up those reports

I actually rather enjoy DI's counterpoints on a lot of posts (and loved the book, it's what turned me on to **** in highschool ... Phillip K. ****, that is).

But in regards to this recent post, DI, I think what most people probably are objecting to is the sweeping statement of "we've learned he doesn't have fluid hips." It kind of comes off as a bit know-it-all, which when it comes to something like "fluid hips" is especially obnoxious, since it's subjective and generic scout babble for which someone can likely drudge up plenty of scouting reports that either support or refute the claim.

At the end of the day, I think a Winston Wolfe-esque counterpoint that simply observed that it's OTAs and we all shouldn't start sucking each other's Popsicles just yet (apologies to BS) probably would have drawn less ire.

Either way, I like the McCourty pick, but if he doesn't get a hand on at least one punt next season, I'll be pissed.

Last edited:
We have learned with certainty that he has hips.

I'm hip to that.....however,I have fluid on the brain from the direction this thread has taken.

.....maybe that's just me:cool:

I'm hip to that.....however,I have fluid on the brain from the direction this thread has taken.

.....maybe that's just me:cool:

Biggest flaw on this board: When there is disagreement too many posters respond by dismissing or belittiling the poster instead of discussing the issue.
Its like you disagreeing with me and me saying you are Italian, I am smart, and pretending that makes me correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you find that absurdly, gratuitously negative, you should reassess your definitions.

Let's review what you said:

Well, to date, we've learned that he's a cornerback taken in the first round even though he can't shift his hips well in transition and will be a target for deep passes as a result.

Negative, to be sure. Absurd in claiming as definitive a directly contradicted criticism of McCourty that neither you nor anyone else have yet been able to find any support of. Hence, gratuitous to the point of being off-the-wall.

If you read what was being posted in the thread prior to that, you'll find that PFK was already putting the kid ahead of Butler. I was responding to that. He's got McCourty beating out Butler by the end of the year and Butler moved to the slot, yet he's jumping on me about being too quick with my comment.

The double standard for the homers still lives.....

Jeeeesss. I never thought my comment would inspire an 8 page sh!t storm, and I only got to page 5 before I had to respond. ;)

DI, Let me explain his more slowly, so you'll understand. This isn't ABOUT who is a better athlete or a better CB or even who has better "hips". Its about 2 players and 2 different positions and the 2 different skill sets that are best suited to carry out the job.

My position (right now) is that McCourtey is more suited to play on the outside, JUST as I believe that Butler is more suited than McCourtey to play in the slot. Its not about who is "better"

Perhaps certain match ups would change that equation. For example vs the Colts, with Clark lining up in the slot so much, perhaps it would be better to have a more physical bigger CB lining up in the slot, with Butler on the outside against the less physical Collie

And perhaps finally, I think Tommbeau got it right. It might be alright to disagree with my assessment of a player that, like the rest of us, I have no intimate knowledge of. But to keep sticking to a position after several posters have cited examples that refute your position speaks more to your own stubbornness than the strength of your position. It seems to me that you almost invite these confrontations just to piss people off and spark 8 page threads on topics that should be finished after 3

But then again, maybe that's why you have 15,000+ posts while I only have 1100. ;)

Last edited:
And perhaps finally, I think Tommbeau got it right. It might be alright to disagree with my assessment of a player that, like the rest of us, I have no intimate knowledge of. But to keep sticking to a position after several posters have cited examples that refute your position speaks more to your own stubbornness than the strength of your position. It seems to me that you almost invite these confrontations just to piss people off and spark 8 page threads on topics that should be finished after 3

But then again, maybe that's why you have 15,000+ posts while I only have 1100. ;)

Ken, the "confrontation" started with you, on the very next post. But this is really not something worth continuing. He'll succeed or fail regardless of what posters on a message board say. So.....

Jets suck!

Ken, the "confrontation" started with you, on the very next post. But this is really not something worth continuing. He'll succeed or fail regardless of what posters on a message board say. So.....

Jets suck!
Not for nothing but it would seem that if Ken suggest Deus INIVTIES confrntation and Deus says the confrontation started in response to his post, we may have Bingo.

On another note, we seem to be lacking a response from Deus as to whether he is sticking by the one report he read or is changing his opinion based on there being many more reports that say the opposite.
Note that "We won't know til we see him on the field" would not be an appropriate answer as the info from the report with the minority opinion was posted as "WHAT WE KNOW AT THIS POINT"

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back