PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What were NE's draft day "expectations" for Edelman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to Edelman's coach at Kent State, the Patriots had several different position coaches talk to Edelman during the scouting process.

Nick Caserio also noted that it was fairly clear in their minds that if they brought Edelman in, they would not be using him much, if ever, in Wildcat formations.

So, as I see it, when they were preparing their final draft board, they could have seen Edelman in one of two ways:

(A) The Pats saw him as a conversion project, and weren't willing to risk a higher pick, but were certainly willing to take a flyer in the seventh-round on a player with his measurables.

or

(B) The Pats saw him as a Matt Cassel-like steal—a player who would almost certainly make the 53-man roster in some capacity, but through no fault of his own, would still be available in the seventh round.

Are there other logical possibilities I'm missing? If not, which of these seems nearer the mark?

A..........

Did Edelman get invited to the combine?

I am assuming not, then makes me wonder;

Did the Pats have a private workout?

What kind of drills did the Pats run him through versus the other teams. Did he run WR drills for the Pats, and QB drills for most the other teams?

Where the Pats the only team to see the WR in him, kinda doubt it. QBs have been converted many times before.

I always think that BB braintrust really likes the smarter players with the right attitude. That may have been a big component to being a draftee versus a free agent .

But to answer the question; A

PS; Every year the Pats draft team must come across players they would love to have, I am thinking of low rounders, where they think they have a real good shot to get them, only to lose out. Sometimes they must meet some kids that really strike them in the right way. You would never hear them say anything about it, but would be interesting.

Last edited:
Did Edelman get invited to the combine?
No.
Did the Pats have a private workout?
Two-three.
What kind of drills did the Pats run him through versus the other teams. Did he run WR drills for the Pats, and QB drills for most the other teams?
PR, KR, WR, RB, QB, and first aid.
Where the Pats the only team to see the WR in him, kinda doubt it. QBs have been converted many times before.
Damned Brownies were thinking to "Cribbs" him, but NE beat them to it.
I always think that BB braintrust really likes the smarter players with the right attitude. That may have been a big component to being a draftee versus a free agent.
Except for those Brownies.

The Pats drafted Rich Gannon intending to convert him to a DB but he resisted and got traded to Minn IIRC......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News