PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign the legend. He definitely has two more years of 100+ receptions 1000 yards in him, then probably two decent seasons after that.

currently: 742 receptions

If Welker retires with 7 seasons of 100+ receptions, 7x pro bowl, 5x all pro, and 1000 receptions, he better make the Hall of Fame.

"Best" is an opinion, I called him the most productive and haven't seen anyone prove otherwise.

You see what you want to see. That much is pretty darn obvious.

And no, there's really no significant subjectivity in deeming CJ the best wideout in the league.

IMO If Welker is not re-signed,he is going to end up where he was traded from .....the Dolphins

Miami regrets trading him and they would take him back in a millisecond

i still stand by it: he will be gone next year...will want too much $$ for his age and pats won't pay it

Last edited:
IMO If Welker is not re-signed,he is going to end up where he was traded from .....the Dolphins

Miami regrets trading him and they would take him back in a millisecond

He is just a better version of Davone Bess and Bush catches a lot of slot catches too. Miami would go for Wallace over Welker IMO.

He is just a better version of Davone Bess and Bush catches a lot of slot catches too. Miami would go for Wallace over Welker IMO.

There you go again calling him a "slot" receiver. How very dare you!

I think that Welker can be resigned, but it will take a little bit of give from both sides to make that happen. As dumb as that sounds, the odds may have been increased a bit from last year's chances of both sides giving in a bit.

The team can justify another 2 yr deal due to the continued productivity, and Welker can justify staying due to the fact that he's another year older and would probably much rather stay in NE and catch passes from TFB.

I am actually hoping that there are some of the same nuances as last yr's deal on the table, such as the 2 year = 16/17 million dollar deal. Obviously the guaranteed money wouldn't be the same, so that is what it always comes down to.

If Welker is okay with less guaranteed money, and the Pats are okay with keeping the same 2 year deal on the table things may end up working out.

Of course those are big "ifs."

I have never seen a QB depend so much ON A WR then Brady has the last couple of years with Welker.They have to draft a wr or 2 in the draft next year.

I have never seen a QB depend so much ON A WR then Brady has the last couple of years with Welker.They have to draft a wr or 2 in the draft next year.

He actually did fine w/o him when both AH and Gronk were there TOGETHER!!!! I'd be psyched to see how that offense operated with everyone healthy at the same time.

After being almost invisible the first two games of the year, Welker is on pace for 123 receptions and 1419 yards.

Franchise him again?
Sign him to a 2-3 year extension?
Trade him? (I do wonder what they could get for him)

I hate to say this because I LOVE Wes.....but if you could get a high second rounder and perhaps also a later round pick for the guy this year or in offseason you would have to take it. He has been one of the greatest pats ever and a tremendous receiver....but he has taken a buttload of HARD hits, he has had the ACL reconstruction which is going to allow for further degeneration (arthritic) to that knee,he has had some ankle issues over past 2 years, he is getting older,......and he has been dropping a fair amount of balls in CRITICAL situations that he NEVER or hardly ever dropped. (and I am not just referring to that dagger in the heart drop in the SB last year) I think BB will move him if there is a decent offer on the table........

Last edited:
Either franchise him again or give him a 2-3 year deal averaging 8 mill with 10 mil guaranteed.

The guy's a gun but it's not going to hurt this team franchising him for another year in my opinion.

In saying that it would be good to have Welker Hernandez and gronk all locked up long term

Welker had a 2 year deal on the table, but turned it down for some reason (presumably money). We franchised him this year, and considering our Free Agents to be, we may want to use that tag on someone else (Vollmer possibly), not to mention the price tag for Welker would increase if we franchised him again.

It's clear that Welker is still the key cog that makes this offense go. Let's hope both parties can settle on a salary and have him remain in Foxboro for at least another 2 years. I would go no higher than 3, for obvious reasons.

Put the tag on Vollmer? Not to be a smarta##...but you aren't serious are you? The guy's back is a train wreck. He will be lucky to make it through this year without ending up on IR..... The tag will go to someone else that has more potential to be here long term and will work on a long term contract most likely

Gotta sign him at this point, right? The guy is on track for his 5th 110 reception season. No one else has ever had more than TWO. I understand it's hard to put a lot of value on the slot receiver position, but damn, at some point you just have to accept that the guy is special and pay him.

He's one of the hardest working guys in the business....he is scrappy and tough as he((..
BUT how MANY more years can this guy take the kind of shots he takes and stay in the game? Physically he will be breaking down soon I am afraid.....ankles are pretty banged up, bad knee, the hip or Low back will be next......One of the toughest bastids that has ever played here....but how long can you take that abuse...

Wes Welker has been great for the Patriots. He has been one of the most productive WRs in the league over the last few years. I will also preface my next statement by saying that I am not as high on Welker as most others. I just do not get all the drops.

I do not even want to talk about drops last year, but I can remember two critical drops this year. During the Cardinals game (which the Pats lost), Wes dropped an easy third down conversion immediately prior to the blocked punt. The second drop was yesterday. The Pats offense was finally marching on down the field in the fourth quarter only to watch Wes drop a gimmie touchdown. Luckily, the Pats still got 3 points and beat the Dolphins.

My point is that it is okay to try and re-sign Wes, but if the drops are going to continue, I do not understand how he can be paid as much as he would like. I am glad that he catches 110+ passes a year. He is the best slot WR in the league. But, it would be much better for the Pats, if his 110+ catches included the clutch ones that he has been dropping.

As others have said, I think the Pats should definitely resign Welker, but both sides will have to compromise. If Wes is unwilling to compromise, hopefully the Pats can work out a trade.

My concern with Welker is the hits he takes.This guy is our number 1 option at wr.I wish somebody else at wr would step up,"cough,LLoyd,"cough",to take some of the big load that Wes carries on this offense.

One of the reporters that I read earlier in the day, and for the life of me I can't remember if it was Curran or Bedard or Shalise or Doug Kyed, had tweeted that a deal was already written up and ready for signature at the end of the season.

I would think that's what's going to happen. I can't see them letting him walk, not with his production.

Brady does not have a ton of years left ... especially to break in new receivers ... would be nice if at least the next 3 years we have Brady - Welker - Gronk - Hernandez - Ridley and Vareen all playing together. I think Vareen and Welker will go great together.

Last edited:
The problem with this offense right now is that it doesnt have that deep speed at wr.It hasnt had that for the last couple of years.Yes they have been succesful but its nice to keep defenses on their tip toes.They dont have that big tall physical wr as well.Thats why the running game will have to be huge come the playoffs.They have to run the football decently enough to keep teams honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe